Notices
ECU Flash

Not Detecting Car When Running ECU FLash

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not Detecting Car When Running ECU FLash

Ok so i just started with ECU Flash and i got my tactrix cable in today and decided to try it out. So i start my car and then i start ecu flash, when i go to look for ecu and that dialog box come out theres nothing in it. Im not sure whats supposed to be in it or if im doing something wrong. I have a WB o2 sensor running logworks at the same time and its working fine so i dont see why its not reading the ecu. And i thought maybe it was locked so i down loaded ecu unlocker but i have nothing on my computer to read it and i cant get it to run. Can anyone give me some advice for a noob starting off that knows it well. It would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure this will fix it but try this. Hook up the cable both connectors white and black. Just put the key in and go to the ON position. Open up ecuflah and read from ecu. Pick your year then read it. If you try and flash the car while its running it will cut the car off.

Why are you using logworks when your just trying to pull your map?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well i was just trying to see if that cable was reading and whether or not it was a usb port but it wasnt. But another thing i downloaded net 2.0 like it says is required but every program i download like ecu unlocker, the log analyzer. Im not sure what im doing wrong so if anyone knows why i am such a jackass let me know where im going wrong.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so i did like you said i got it to read the ecu with the key just turned on. Now is that rom just the stock base rom settings or is that what the ecu has recorded as how the car is running ? Im pretty sure its just the stock rom but i just want to make sure.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
Ok so i did like you said i got it to read the ecu with the key just turned on. Now is that rom just the stock base rom settings or is that what the ecu has recorded as how the car is running ? Im pretty sure its just the stock rom but i just want to make sure.
If no one has ever flashed the car previously then its the stock rom. Otherwise its whatever rom is currently flashed into the ECU.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

See thats where im confused about my car. Before it sat about 2 yrs ago it ran fine and i had bought with a Dyno Flash tune from Al. I dont know anything about my car except for the obvious when i bought it and inquired it was from a used dealer and supposedly it had 10k invested. The only way that i knew was because of the intake under the hood, the boost controller in the car and boost gauge, and in the trunk there were cams in hks boxes and injectors in a bag and turbo back exhaust. Now from what i gather everything is hks ive seen all the parts except im not sure on the injectors they actually look like RC or BR injectors. The car used to idle very rich to where you could put your hand in front on the exhaust tip and it would get damp. So i assumed they most be big injectors. Anyway the car ran fine for the span of about 3 months before i parked it up to this day about 2 years later. Now with the new fuel system, intake manifold, throttle body, intercooler and piping when i started it for the first time it was just puffin smoke that burned my nostrils and with the Innovative WBo2 censor it is confirming my assumption that its running rich. So Im wondering why now is it running rich when i open up the air ways? I cant even drive it to log anything 1 because its not legal to drive and two when i go to give it gas it just bogs out around 3-4k when it starts to spool. So im stuck and just trying different things any suggestions please let me know.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's probably rich because the ECU was not scaled for the new injectors. You can log the fuel trims without driving the car. But, if it's been parked for 2 years they might not be very accurate. Let the car idle for a bit with the AC on and off and rev it up to like 3k and hold it there for a few seconds with the AC on. That should trigger some movement in the trims and might give an indication of what needs to be done to properly scale the injectors.

Also, when you get the ROM to open, check out the fuel maps. If they are identical and filled with values in the 7s, it's probably best to start from scratch.

The ECU Unlocker is a RAR file i think. Download WinRAR to open it.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Nov 8, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Ok thanks bubble definitely appreciated info ill be trying everything you said above and ill get that winrar program and hopefully that helps me out with the program problem. I have my rom with me here i just have no way to post it ill check the fuel table and just see what it says on this one with just the key turned to the on position.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Not really sure yet either on this whole program but ill get it once i start seeing what the numbers do and mean. Anyway under Injector scaling all i have is 513cc/min.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I just went through this problem. you can't read nor write to ecu right ?if thats the case, for me what happened was a bad tactrix cable. I can datalog using evo scan, but I can't alter the ecu. another problem could be due to colder weather, battery is not giving enuf volt if car was left parked.
try to use your cable on another evo to see if the cable is bad.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

did the ecu flash give you this,
(0001)
(0003)
(FFFF)
if so, most likely its the cable or low voltage.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

No i got ECU flash to read the ecu with just the key turned to the on position. But i do think i have a voltage problem just because my car doesnt have the belt for the ps, ac, etc on because the bolt to the ps broke off the pump when i had the clutch installed and i just havent had time to get one. But i do leave the battery charger on it so im going to try a few different things tonite. But thanks for the info fugi.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
... Anyway under Injector scaling all i have is 513cc/min.
Ding ding ding ... there is your drivability problem.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

lol i kinda figured that was a high numer but im not sure where i should start for a stock like number or what. That and i guess it makes it hard not knowing how big my injectors are.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ok seeing i have no idea what im doing and i dont have any options really than other than experiment with other roms or change mine around which i really dont want to do. Under the useful threads under the ECU Flash for beginners there is a rom supplied to be an example im not sure what exactly the mods on the car are but should i just dl to my ecu and give it a shot?