Notices
ECU Flash

Let's see your fully tuned timing maps

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 07:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
I've read a lot and talked with a few people about the factory sensor . Voltage( over 2) is a good indictor and as well as a large spike. I also used Det cans a few times to check things when I had a false knock scenario.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting, I will data log the knock voltage to see, I have never check that before...
The knock for me often get when I pass to full acceleration, so maybe the kick that the boost is giving make it detect...

For my high timing on cruise, I have take that in a fuel economy forum where it was saying it has better fuel economy but I will try to drop it. I better like a good hit of boost well transition then save 20$ at the end of the year in fuel economy...

I also read that the best for low octane ignition map is to put like 3 degres of timing or other said to put it equal to lower the suddent timing drop when there's a knock and that it knock less... How much less degrees do you run??
Old Aug 5, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I normally only lower the low map by 2, any more and it can cause the ecu to do odd things with the timing anyway that I recall.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PL_MR
Interesting, I will data log the knock voltage to see, I have never check that before...
The knock for me often get when I pass to full acceleration, so maybe the kick that the boost is giving make it detect...

For my high timing on cruise, I have take that in a fuel economy forum where it was saying it has better fuel economy but I will try to drop it. I better like a good hit of boost well transition then save 20$ at the end of the year in fuel economy...

I also read that the best for low octane ignition map is to put like 3 degres of timing or other said to put it equal to lower the suddent timing drop when there's a knock and that it knock less... How much less degrees do you run??
Read this:

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
It still seems as if a number of people don't understand the use of the low/high octane maps and knock.

If the low/high maps are the same, the ECU will still pull timing when you knock. It's roughly 1* of timing for every 3 knock counts. That algorithm has nothing to do with your high/low maps. You can think of that as your short term knock trim, if you'd like.

The high/low maps come into play for sustained levels of high knock activity. You can think of them as your long term knock trims. The exact knock counts are in several threads on the subject, but IIRC, a knock count of 6+ will begin lowering the octane number. The octane number is the factor that the ECU uses to interploate between the high/low maps. So, octane=100, you are 100% on the high map. Octane number = 50, you are exactly in between the two maps, and so on.

Now, should you use your low octane maps? I would say yes, but that's just my opinion. But, they are there for a reason. If your car is consistently knocking, then something is wrong. So, you may as well give the ECU a chance to use a lower map to correct the problem. Otherwise, it will have to use it's short terms algorithm to correct for the knock that is already happening. If you knock counts come back down, then octane number will raise again and put you back on your high maps.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:43 PM

good explanation, 2-3 knock doesn't make you go in your low octane map...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:06 PM

That's mine when my GTA was totally stock. Now I have a 3" mandrel bent, turbo back exhaust (cat delete), pod filter, Warlbro 255 pump, gizzmo ebc and a HDI GT2 fmic with hot and cold pipes, but I'm unable to have it tuned as the only tuner with this software is 2000kms away from me.
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-high-octane-ignition-1.png  

Last edited by Michael_GTA; Aug 13, 2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Michael_GTA
That's mine when my GTA was totally stock. Now I have a 3" mandrel bent, turbo back exhaust (cat delete), pod filter, Warlbro 255 pump, gizzmo ebc and a HDI GT2 fmic with hot and cold pipes, but I'm unable to have it tuned as the only tuner with this software is 2000kms away from me.
Couple progression issues on this map.
Octane, load you're hitting? I really hope you aren't over 210-220 load because it's really mild.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:34 PM

What other maps would you like me to put up for you to look at Domyz?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:36 PM

What other maps would you like me to put up for you to look at Domyz?
I only run Shell V-Power (supposed to be 98 Octane) and I peak at 23psi tapering down to about 18.5 to 19 at redline.

I've put down the high octane fuel map for you to look at too.
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-high-octane-fuel-map.png  

Last edited by Michael_GTA; Aug 13, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

I only run Shell V-Power (supposed to be 98 Octane) and I peak at 23psi tapering down to about 18.5 to 19 at redline.

I've put down the high octane fuel map for you to look at too.
Fuel map is pretty useless without WBo2 log.. It however seems smooth.
Timing map is pretty useless without knowing which load you are hitting. At 23psi on a stock VIII MAF it's about 250load. If VII are the same, your timing map is so mild that EGT must be high.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:59 PM

Unfortunately my nearest tuner is 2000ks away. Thanks for looking at it.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
evo 9, 24.5 psi, stock cams stock turbo, stock o2 housing, ets fmic and piping, dp/catback.

anybody think im a little light on timing out the top? thinking i might be able to add a degree or two more as boost tapers off. this is a road race car so im not trying to be very aggressive but build a beneficial torque curve.

Name:  currenttiming_zpse177e227.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  77.5 KB
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I would probably back off 1-2 in peak tq, and add it up top.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would drop a degree at peak load, but the rest of it looks solid. You're running the same amount of timing I do, but I tuned mine to hold more boost through the mid range.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
should have mentioned im on 93 btw. the peak timing was dialed in over a year ago and has given no issues, not sure pulling some out would benefit anything?

Quick Reply: Let's see your fully tuned timing maps