Notices
ECU Flash

Let's see your fully tuned timing maps

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol....i like secrets, share them with me ..... although it seems we already take the same approach at tuning.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
I don't feel good about forcing a car to eat knock and push through it. I prefer to shave off the excess timing so the ECU doesn't get involved in knock control so the car is much more consistent run to run.

Yeah, I agree, and that's why I tune my own car this way, along with all the others I have.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mellon
yeah I had quite a bit more in the post but took it out...sometimes I have to think twice about sharing techniques because there are some jerks on the forum that will twist your words into saying something completely different, next thing you know there's 5 other people hitting the punching bag with them. it's just not worth it sometimes.
On here I some times have to think 3-4 times before posting haha

"Imagine, the response you would get if you went to an Elvis convention and shouted "Elvis is Dead" repeatedly.

You would get a lot of people shouting at you and then, even if you left, everyone would turn to each other and discuss it.

In real life this might take just a few seconds but on a message board about Elvis this could means pages and pages of discussion as everyone joins in to shout down the Elvis hater.

Before you know it, everyone could have forgotten what the original discussion was about. "

Mellon start tuning MAFT !! I need your help
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oof MAF-T we go waaaaaay back to the early days. I ran the LS1 and LS6 MAF's on my TT Stealth ages ago....not too fond of the way the tune would drift in weather changes. Last time I taked to turbobob and showed him the data that supported my claim he was going to make some changes to a new generation and send me a test unit. He never did and I moved on with bypassin the stock MAS to reduce the inlet restriction and regained my rock solid tune that didn't drift whatsoever.

Maybe it's better now but I had Victor in Romania that wanted me to dial him in with the GM MAF and we got it dialed in then suddenly it began saying he was running 400kpa without any changes to the tune/boost...some days it would be 300kpa and other 400kpa and go pig rich. He finally gave up on that mess went back to the stock MAS and never looked back. We wrote that one off as a bad unit.

I have another customer that's going to be using the GM MAF/stock ecu combo with a nice ETS 57 trim setup soon and hopefully we won't have any of these oddball issues or I'm going to give up on them hahah.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by tkklemann
I am almost wondering if he did that on purpose, setting the timing usually more than what the car could handle so that the ECU will pull timing to get it at the correct level.

Its almost like he used the knock control to his advantage, set the timing higher than what the car could handle, use the knock control to let the ECU put the timing where it wanted/needed to be. If the timing was set to low, the ECU wouldn't up it to where it needed to be, and decrease performance.

With a timing map set to low, you would lose performance. With a timing map set to high, you would still gain performance, but the ECU is correcting it to "make it work", but it would still be faster than a timing map set to low.

Flawed logic? There is still no excuse for a fuel map like that. Highway robbery at it's best, literally and figuratively.

If you think about it even more, people will then goto the track and most want to run better times, so they put in race gas and a little more boost and bam already a race gas type map, so then you gets good advertisement with people running great times.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bigric09
this is worse than an Al tune lol
I pulled fuel and timing maps very similar to this off of an ECU I bought. At first I thought that the tuner had some kind of scrambling software for the maps.

Did he build these maps with a hex editor?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tech tom was used,

I remember those sloppy appearing maps managed to get the 04 evo 89mph on a 1/8 mile track using 93 oct at 22 psi. The mods were cams, mbc, and cat delete. Not bad for a SSL(ow) so it worked OK.

I cold never use that mapping now, engine would break.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Tech tom was used,

I remember those sloppy appearing maps managed to get the 04 evo 89mph on a 1/8 mile track using 93 oct at 22 psi. The mods were cams, mbc, and cat delete. Not bad for a SSL(ow) so it worked OK.

I cold never use that mapping now, engine would break.
Your engie would break or you would live in fear of it breaking now that you know how poor the map looks?
Old Dec 29, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

im sure that is it....

i trademark all the tunes i do with a few different things. Most of the major tuners do that as well.

TTP uses a 69 in the lower corner
Topspeed makes the top line a colorful blend separated by a bunch of 14.7's before the lead in to boost.
Al uses 8's and 9's all over the place except he puts them in the map areas where tuning is important
HAHAHAHAH
Old Dec 29, 2007, 03:47 PM
Account Disabled

TTP uses a 69 in the lower corner

Al uses 8's and 9's all over the place except he puts them in the map areas where tuning is important
Hey now...
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

oops... TTP's secret to tuning is let loose haha
Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckleford
Your engie would break or you would live in fear of it breaking now that you know how poor the map looks?
My map isn't still set to those settings. I'm pushing the engine much harder now but not pushing knock.

Still live in fear though, and have been for the past 55,000 miles with 25,000 of them from 25 to 32 psi. When it goes another SB goes in.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's my updated map.

Stock turbo, 24psi. I was running 25 but I got better results with 24 and more timing.

Note the adjusted scales

Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
Here's my updated map.

Stock turbo, 24psi. I was running 25 but I got better results with 24 and more timing.

Note the adjusted scales

Why the adjusted fine RPM and load if you are using blocked 5's and 6's for 3,000 rpm?

I see no advantage to getting more resolution there if you are doing that.

Last edited by razorlab; Jan 7, 2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
Here's my updated map.

Note the adjusted scales
Do you get negative timings for load values > 270 @ peak too?

Quick Reply: Let's see your fully tuned timing maps