Notices
ECU Flash

Let's see your fully tuned timing maps

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is my current tune map, its an evo 4 with an evo 8 motor and ecu. Running 50/50 meth injection and an evo 9 turbo @26psi peak and 272/272 cams. Im scratching my head a bit (im still learning my way around tuning this car) as to why im low on power, EvoScan dyno sheet (used for reference only) is showing me a tad bit over 300hp and torque. Currently my AFR is set to 11.1 on the gauge, I have tried leaning it out to 11.7 start to 11.2 end (keeping in mind that my actual fuel ratio is above 12 and around 11.7 by the end), I havent tried lowering the timing yet though as ive actually increased it instead, Peak load is 278 @3900RPM. this isnt a fully tuned map and I dont get over 280 load so anything after that I havent smoothed but I would like some pointers as to what I can adjust to maybe get more power out of it as I feel as though 300 is a bit low for my setup, could be wrong though. Have a look
Old Aug 15, 2022, 08:01 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
Is that group of -10 for a crackle tune or something?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Is that group of -10 for a crackle tune or something?
Lmao, no. My car does anything but be annoying, was an experiment for higher up gear shift changes to keep it rich, just never changed it
Old Aug 15, 2022, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
I would soften up the timing a bit. A ramp from 2 at 3500 to 5 at 5500 , then working your way to 12-15 is where most end up living awhile. These engines don't need alot of timing to make power. An AFR target of 12.5 until 15psi, then 11.2-11.4 is also going to keep things cool/happy.

Could also rent a chassis dyno on low smoothing and find all your answers in one hour.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Abacus
I would soften up the timing a bit. A ramp from 2 at 3500 to 5 at 5500 , then working your way to 12-15 is where most end up living awhile. These engines don't need alot of timing to make power. An AFR target of 12.5 until 15psi, then 11.2-11.4 is also going to keep things cool/happy.

Could also rent a chassis dyno on low smoothing and find all your answers in one hour.
I Was thinking lowering the timing a bit may benefit me more, ill have to go do some runs and log them and compare. I might stick to the peak timing at 4-5* just due to how well and responsive it is with the meth setup, i dont get any knock but ill still lower it a bit just to see, will most likely lower the top end even if i keep the low end a bit high. Wont learn if you dont try right? Car hits hard and then just kinda goes meh after 5kRPM. Going to order a turbosmart actuator though, the stock evo 9 actuator drops my boost quite dramatically. Thanks for the input! Ill see what it does
Old Aug 23, 2022, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by djwrocks
Here is my current tune map, its an evo 4 with an evo 8 motor and ecu. Running 50/50 meth injection and an evo 9 turbo @26psi peak and 272/272 cams. Im scratching my head a bit (im still learning my way around tuning this car) as to why im low on power, EvoScan dyno sheet (used for reference only) is showing me a tad bit over 300hp and torque. Currently my AFR is set to 11.1 on the gauge, I have tried leaning it out to 11.7 start to 11.2 end (keeping in mind that my actual fuel ratio is above 12 and around 11.7 by the end), I havent tried lowering the timing yet though as ive actually increased it instead, Peak load is 278 @3900RPM. this isnt a fully tuned map and I dont get over 280 load so anything after that I havent smoothed but I would like some pointers as to what I can adjust to maybe get more power out of it as I feel as though 300 is a bit low for my setup, could be wrong though. Have a look
The fuel table looks too rich, too uniform for a WMI tune! WMI fuel tables usually have a leaner patch of AFR numbers at high load where water/meth is at its max. But your AFR logging won't lie, I guess. That low load, high RPM enrichment won't work because the car is in closed loop at that point.
The following users liked this post:
djwrocks (Aug 23, 2022)
Old Aug 23, 2022, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by foxbat
The fuel table looks too rich, too uniform for a WMI tune! WMI fuel tables usually have a leaner patch of AFR numbers at high load where water/meth is at its max. But your AFR logging won't lie, I guess. That low load, high RPM enrichment won't work because the car is in closed loop at that point.
Actually after some reading up more about meth injection, I was deffinetly running way too rich lol, so you are 100% right! I benchmarked with a buddy of mine and he pulled away on me (which shouldnt happen, its just a kia stinger ), I then leaned out my afrs to 12.5 spool up, 12-11.8 peak load and gradually getting to 11.5 at redline and man did it ever make a difference. Went from being pulled away from easily to pulling on him! Regarding the low load high rpm part though, it happens right on throttle lift, my afrs spike super rich after lift when I did it, maybe theres a time threshold that it returns to closed loop? I could be wrong but it deffinetly works. Boost drops from 27psi fo 15psi so I have a turbosmart actuator on the way with a 22psi spring to help hold boost until i get my hands on a 52mm. I just think my issue is thinking way too conservative on the fueling side, i know these motors run hot so im just on the fence about leaning it out but i always forget i am running methanol. Just gotta clean up the afr table now and smooth it out, i do have a leaner patch in the middle now aswell where the meth is at peak. Ive got lots to learn so im greatful for the advice
Old Aug 25, 2022, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by djwrocks
Actually after some reading up more about meth injection, I was deffinetly running way too rich lol, so you are 100% right! I benchmarked with a buddy of mine and he pulled away on me (which shouldnt happen, its just a kia stinger ), I then leaned out my afrs to 12.5 spool up, 12-11.8 peak load and gradually getting to 11.5 at redline and man did it ever make a difference. Went from being pulled away from easily to pulling on him! Regarding the low load high rpm part though, it happens right on throttle lift, my afrs spike super rich after lift when I did it, maybe theres a time threshold that it returns to closed loop? I could be wrong but it deffinetly works. Boost drops from 27psi fo 15psi so I have a turbosmart actuator on the way with a 22psi spring to help hold boost until i get my hands on a 52mm. I just think my issue is thinking way too conservative on the fueling side, i know these motors run hot so im just on the fence about leaning it out but i always forget i am running methanol. Just gotta clean up the afr table now and smooth it out, i do have a leaner patch in the middle now aswell where the meth is at peak. Ive got lots to learn so im greatful for the advice
What are your start/peak WMI settings? What nozzle size are you using? Based on my own experience with WMI, an 1000cc nozzle would make AFR super rich if the fuel table left unchanged, therefore you would often end up with an abnormal looking fuel table with lean figures at high load.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by foxbat
What are your start/peak WMI settings? What nozzle size are you using? Based on my own experience with WMI, an 1000cc nozzle would make AFR super rich if the fuel table left unchanged, therefore you would often end up with an abnormal looking fuel table with lean figures at high load.
Start at 10# and peak at 27#, using a 1000cc injector, with an unchanged table i was in the deep 10's
Old Sep 3, 2022, 03:09 AM

Current map on mine, seems to be running ok with this timing. Occasional 1 or 2 count of knock but seems random.

Injectors around 89% duty cycle, so going to go larger before I got e85

Evo 6
GSC S1 Cams
Standard 10.5 Evo 6 Turbo
Intake & Full Exhaust
98 RON (93 USA octane)

Last edited by bondy112; Sep 3, 2022 at 03:14 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I get some input on my timing map. I tuned the car from scratch following Evans performance academy tutorials. I had less than 3 counts of a knock at cruising so I took 3 degrees of timing in that area, and no knock at WOT.

Its tune for 93 pump and my mods are the following:
Evo 8
Kelford 272 cams
evo 9 turbo
id1050x injectors
450 walbro fuel pump (not 12v hardwire)
Intake and exhaust

At WOT im hitting 11.5 AFR, and during cruise the trims are about -2 for idle and cruise.

Old Mar 17, 2023, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tomkun
Can I get some input on my timing map. I tuned the car from scratch following Evans performance academy tutorials. I had less than 3 counts of a knock at cruising so I took 3 degrees of timing in that area, and no knock at WOT.

Evo 8
Kelford 272 cams
evo 9 turbo
id1050x injectors
Intake and exhaust

At WOT im hitting 11.5 AFR, and during cruise the trims are about -2 for idle and cruise.

What timing and load are you running at WOT? how much peak boost at what RPM? I had almost the same set up and was running 10-12 degree at 1.5Bar boost with 93 oct. I personally feel you can add some more timing in the boost range, may be richen up the AFR to 10.8~. Lets see what others have to say too.
Tomkun (Mar 18, 2023)
Old Mar 17, 2023, 07:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomkun

Evo 8
Kelford 272 cams
evo 9 turbo
id1050x injectors
Intake and exhaust

I would recommend posting up the tracer as well so people can see what load cells youre hitting through the run.
Tomkun (Mar 18, 2023)
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by I<3myevo6
What timing and load are you running at WOT? how much peak boost at what RPM? I had almost the same set up and was running 10-12 degree at 1.5Bar boost with 93 oct. I personally feel you can add some more timing in the boost range, may be richen up the AFR to 10.8~. Lets see what others have to say too.
My car is currently in the body shop but here's a log I found, I'm hitting 25psi at peak boost, and at max load, I'm at -1,-2. The AFR are around 11.2.-11.5 at WOT.

Originally Posted by unkn0wn.
I would recommend posting up the tracer as well so people can see what load cells youre hitting through the run.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 01:15 AM

Are you sure the log is right? I don't think you can hit 300 load cells with a Evo 9 turbo at 25 PSI. I feel your loosing a lot of power in the mid range especially post 200 load cells in the boost range.

I run a 25G turbo at 26PSI and the load cell I hit is 260~ and AFRs are at 11~ at WOT and 12~ at spool.

Quick Reply: Let's see your fully tuned timing maps