Notices
ECU Flash

Let's see your fully tuned timing maps

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, this is the timing map my car is running by the previous tuner:Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-previoustimingmap.jpg

From everything I've learned about tuning, this doesn't seem right.
Thoughts? Tips?

Before putting cams in, I was hitting as low as a 10.0 AFR.

My setup:
Evo 9
25 psi (Tru-boost), 93 octane
Intake
TBE

Recently installed, in the process of tuning myself:
GSC S1 Cams
ECU Boost control
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by railhomie
Okay, this is the timing map my car is running by the previous tuner:Attachment 174204

From everything I've learned about tuning, this doesn't seem right.
Thoughts? Tips?

Before putting cams in, I was hitting as low as a 10.0 AFR.

My setup:
Evo 9
25 psi (Tru-boost), 93 octane
Intake
TBE

Recently installed, in the process of tuning myself:
GSC S1 Cams
ECU Boost control
That definitely needs some work bud. As a general rule, timing in each load column should always be increasing as you go down the columns through the RPMs. You've got a lot of choppiness in most of your load columns from 70 and up. Also, timing in the RPM rows should always be decreasing as load increases or as you move left to right through the load columns. Most of them look OK except for the rows for 2000, 2500, and 3000 RPMs. Those have a lot of choppiness in the boosted areas. Best wishes with getting things straightened out.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigT
I run a tad bit more timing up top but with less boost. (25psi) Your map looks real clean though. I am curious if you've run any of your logs through Virtual Dyno? This would be a good comparison for more boost/less timing or less boost/more timing.

This is my last VD sheet and the Evoscan log for it,i started the run kinda late 4k rpm but is still right about the same as some other runs,still there's more power to be made though since i still haven't been able to log real afr's,i've been keeping my afr's pretty rich to be on the safe side, been having problems with my serial to usb adapter so i can't log from my Zeitronix wideband into Evoscan,thinking about logging afr right into my pcm but i'd rather wait to fix my adapter issue.Once i can log afr i'm sure i can lean out some and make more power.
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-capture1.jpg   Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-capture2.jpg  

Last edited by VIIIdriver; Aug 4, 2011 at 05:27 AM. Reason: More info
Old Aug 4, 2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Ian0611
That definitely needs some work bud. As a general rule, timing in each load column should always be increasing as you go down the columns through the RPMs. You've got a lot of choppiness in most of your load columns from 70 and up. Also, timing in the RPM rows should always be decreasing as load increases or as you move left to right through the load columns. Most of them look OK except for the rows for 2000, 2500, and 3000 RPMs. Those have a lot of choppiness in the boosted areas. Best wishes with getting things straightened out.
My thoughts exactly. I just wanted a second opinion because this was done by someone who is supposed to be a reputable tuner...

I will post my revised version in a bit.

Do you think it's running too much timing though? I feel like I'm going to have to reduce the timing quite a bit when I bring my AFR's up to 11.5 or so, where they're supposed to be.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VIIIdriver
This is my last VD sheet and the Evoscan log for it,i started the run kinda late 4k rpm but is still right about the same as some other runs,still there's more power to be made though since i still haven't been able to log real afr's,i've been keeping my afr's pretty rich to be on the safe side, been having problems with my serial to usb adapter so i can't log from my Zeitronix wideband into Evoscan,thinking about logging afr right into my pcm but i'd rather wait to fix my adapter issue.Once i can log afr i'm sure i can lean out some and make more power.
That looks nice. My best is 362whp and 346 ft lbs, 25 psi dropping to 21 at redline. My 8/10.5 turbo needed the cams to make that much torque and power. Pre- cams, I was stuck at 310 torque, 343 whp.

My timing map looks like this: 2 Degrees of timing during peak load, 7 degrees at peak torque, and 17 degrees at redline.

Just an FYI when it comes to AFR's... I've been playing with my AFR's and I have logs in the low 12's, high 11's, mid 11's, low 11's and high 10's and my whp changed + or - 5 whp. Thats it. Once youre on the verge of max available boost and timing, AFR is more of a safety net.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I just wanted a second opinion because this was done by someone who is supposed to be a reputable tuner...

I will post my revised version in a bit.

Do you think it's running too much timing though? I feel like I'm going to have to reduce the timing quite a bit when I bring my AFR's up to 11.5 or so, where they're supposed to be.
I definitely don't think you're running too much. 3-4* at peak tq is pretty safe IMO. Once you get things smoothed out you'll probably be able to add another degree or two without a problem. Personally I'm running about 6* at peak load and TQ without any issues but it does depend on the setup. You also should be able to get away with 12-15* at 7000 and it looks like you are but it's hard to tell what you're hitting at 7K without seeing a log. Also, I think you've got some room there to smooth things out at 7K so that transitions from one load column to the next above 100 are a little more even.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ian0611
I definitely don't think you're running too much. 3-4* at peak tq is pretty safe IMO. Once you get things smoothed out you'll probably be able to add another degree or two without a problem. Personally I'm running about 6* at peak load and TQ without any issues but it does depend on the setup. You also should be able to get away with 12-15* at 7000 and it looks like you are but it's hard to tell what you're hitting at 7K without seeing a log. Also, I think you've got some room there to smooth things out at 7K so that transitions from one load column to the next above 100 are a little more even.
Here is my smoothed out version, but keep in mind that this is on an Evo 9, which, from what I understand, doesn't take as much timing as an 8 (correct me if I'm wrong):

Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-revisedtimingmap.jpg

Does that look better to ya?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Evo 9's take more timing in the midrange and less up top.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is my smoothed out version, but keep in mind that this is on an Evo 9, which, from what I understand, doesn't take as much timing as an 8 (correct me if I'm wrong):

Attachment 174219

Does that look better to ya?
looks much better. post a log.

you have it backwards, a 9 will take more timing than an 8. im running *5 at pk tq and logging about *15 at 7k. but mind you i have an extremely rich car because i have no luck getting wide bands to work.

oh wait i just noticed you have cams so you will probably wind up with a little less for more power.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21

you have it backwards, a 9 will take more timing than an 8. im running *5 at pk tq and logging about *15 at 7k. but mind you i have an extremely rich car because i have no luck getting wide bands to work.

oh wait i just noticed you have cams so you will probably wind up with a little less for more power.
Hmm, didn't know that. I was just going by Merlins tutorial and this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-tune-evo.html

Maybe they are getting outdated?

Anyway, so you're thinking since I have cams I should maybe be in the 3-4 range then at 3500-3700 rpms? I just need something to get started with to be safe and start logging/changing things, you know...
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure, but i'm pretty sure 9's take more in the midrange and less up top. I'm running 17 degrees at 7k, 2 degrees at peak load.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

i thought it was just overall a 9 will take more timing, maybe im wrong, ive never worked on an 8 personally so.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigT
That looks nice. My best is 362whp and 346 ft lbs, 25 psi dropping to 21 at redline. My 8/10.5 turbo needed the cams to make that much torque and power. Pre- cams, I was stuck at 310 torque, 343 whp.

My timing map looks like this: 2 Degrees of timing during peak load, 7 degrees at peak torque, and 17 degrees at redline.

Just an FYI when it comes to AFR's... I've been playing with my AFR's and I have logs in the low 12's, high 11's, mid 11's, low 11's and high 10's and my whp changed + or - 5 whp. Thats it. Once youre on the verge of max available boost and timing, AFR is more of a safety net.
Thanks for the info,will keep it in mind
Old Aug 4, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
i thought it was just overall a 9 will take more timing, maybe im wrong, ive never worked on an 8 personally so.
It's the opposite AFAIK. I know my IX doesn't take much timing.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

i guess im losing it then, or everyones definition of alot of timing is different.

i thought 5 at pk torque and almost 20 at redline was a decent amount?

Quick Reply: Let's see your fully tuned timing maps