Notices
ECU Flash

Let's see your fully tuned timing maps

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
The fuel map could use some smoothing, and like mt057 said, timing might be higher than "normal" in the mid-high rpm range, but if the car takes it without knocking and you're on straight pump gas, all the better!
Where would you recommend the smoothing in the fuel map? I wish there was a show me your fuel map thread. Still trying to understand it. How much of a change from cel to cel is too much in a fuel map?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
30 psi is way out of the stock turbo's efficiency range, you would probably get more gains by dropping the boost some and trying a bit more timing instead. The car should also be more consistent with less boost.
Thanks Raptord! I had timing up to 23 at 7k-7500 RPM when I was at 27psi peak boost. At redline the boost tapers down to 18.5psi. With 30psi peak, at redline it tapers to 21.4psi. I'll experiment with more timing at 27psi.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Where would you recommend the smoothing in the fuel map? I wish there was a show me your fuel map thread. Still trying to understand it. How much of a change from cel to cel is too much in a fuel map?
The reason I don't think there's a thread for it is because fuel maps can very so much from car to car it would be tough to really learn anything by looking at someone else's fuel map, especially since the numbers don't represent actual AFRs. i.e. On my fuel map I have a huge block of 10.7s from 5500-7500 yet my AFRs go from 11.5@ 5K, to 11.8@ 6K, down to 11.2@ 7K. Obviously, I have some smoothing to do but you get my point.

Also, as you've probably already seen, a smooth fuel map doesn't always equate to smooth AFRs. Now it's entirely possible that I have some other issues that are causing my AFRs to be a little choppy, but if not, and I attempt to smooth out the real AFR values, there's going to be a nice dip at 6K that won't make the map look very nice. Like I said, there are just too many variables that play a factor from setup to setup to be able to glean anything by looking at others' maps.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ian0611
The reason I don't think there's a thread for it is because fuel maps can very so much from car to car it would be tough to really learn anything by looking at someone else's fuel map, especially since the numbers don't represent actual AFRs. i.e. On my fuel map I have a huge block of 10.7s from 5500-7500 yet my AFRs go from 11.5@ 5K, to 11.8@ 6K, down to 11.2@ 7K. Obviously, I have some smoothing to do but you get my point.

Also, as you've probably already seen, a smooth fuel map doesn't always equate to smooth AFRs. Now it's entirely possible that I have some other issues that are causing my AFRs to be a little choppy, but if not, and I attempt to smooth out the real AFR values, there's going to be a nice dip at 6K that won't make the map look very nice. Like I said, there are just too many variables that play a factor from setup to setup to be able to glean anything by looking at others' maps.
On second thought.. It might be kinda entertaining to see how wacky some people's Fuel Maps look to acheive smooth AFRs in the real world.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian0611

That's what I kind of figured. I knew this already. Just wondering what's too much between cells?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
FINALLY ditched my crappy LC1 and got up and running on an aem inline uego. afr is almost 2 points leaner than my lc1 was showing, since its a pretty believable reading now, i need to push the injectors harder and get it richened up a little. Then im not sure if i should go after another pound of boost, or more timing.

car pretty much makes 330/300 barely touching 24 psi on VD every run. Looks like i have a cell interpolation loss of a degree around 240-250 load i need to fix too.

now i just need a new front o2 sensor so i can see my spool afr's. will post my timing map later, its on my other computer still.

Name:  24psiAEM3rdgear.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  199.3 KB

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Aug 7, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

That's what I kind of figured. I knew this already. Just wondering what's too much between cells?
I think most people try to use a similar philosophy as with timing and try to stay within .3 cell to cell, but again, it all depends on the setup and a change of .3 in the map may or may not correlate to a change of .3 in the actual AFRs.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take a look at my fuel/timing map...

VD @ midnight around 70 degrees about 750 altitude on a straight away
the "AFTER" VD graph is after I stopped and changed the AFR a little bit.

So far I'm hitting around 23 psi with no knock (if you look at the log you'll see 1 count of knock from 2800 to 3500 rpm.. should I retard timing?

any commmentsss?

btw mods are catless tbe, intake filter, fuel pump, licp, mbc, and ix dv on 91 octane
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-log8-6afterafr.jpg   Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-log8-6beforeafr.jpg   Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-mymap.png   Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-newmaplog.png   Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-newmaplog2.png  

Last edited by taylorgang; Aug 7, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

this is the FIRST LOG, the log attached above is the second log (changed AFRs after first run)
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-previouslog.png   Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-previouslog2.png   Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-previouslog3.png  
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
the 1 knock count is nothing to worry about IMO, actually I think you could add a degree of timing at 240 and 260 load.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Taylorgang...you need to be careful on the timing, you are running ATDC during spoolup. -1 degree will cause your EGT's to be very high. Over time that will damage the turbo. Needs to be around 2-3 degrees.

Try more timing in 2 degrees adjustments until it starts to knock 3 or more counts. then back off 1 degrees. You can also add a little more fuel with the timing to see if that controls any knock.

For a well tuned Evo 8 2-3 degrees at peak torque and 11-13 degrees at high rpm seems to be what many good maps display.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Taylorgang...you need to be careful on the timing, you are running ATDC during spoolup. -1 degree will cause your EGT's to be very high. Over time that will damage the turbo. Needs to be around 2-3 degrees.

Try more timing in 2 degrees adjustments until it starts to knock 3 or more counts. then back off 1 degrees. You can also add a little more fuel with the timing to see if that controls any knock.

For a well tuned Evo 8 2-3 degrees at peak torque and 11-13 degrees at high rpm seems to be what many good maps display.
Damn it was worse than that before... when I pulled up the timing map it was like -2 degrees... I just added a little bit. I'll keep adding timing until it knocks.

Thanks for the info! haha

ALSO... on my log I hit 270+ load... on my map the highest my load goes is 260.. how can I adjust the 280 column?

nvm found this: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-viii-ecu.html

Last edited by taylorgang; Aug 7, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

rescaled my map and added some timing... going to log a pull and will post results when i get back
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-newmaptiming.png  
Old Aug 7, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
I would say 13 degrees up top on a stock turbo is being conservative for an VIII. I run 17 degrees up top and barely ever got knock as long as my AFR's are in check. After 17 degrees, Knock counts were sporadic, but more often than I like.

Below is my map. 352whp and 346 ftlbs on VD. 25.5 psi tapering to 20. All boltons, no cat, 264/272 cams.

Name:  TimingMap-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  128.3 KB

Yes, I enjoy the sounds my car makes when I shift.

a
Old Aug 7, 2011, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^What type of fuel?

Quick Reply: Let's see your fully tuned timing maps