Notices
ECU Flash

Let's see your fully tuned timing maps

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wats up guys.. so im learing how to tune.. been reading and reading and now starting to put the knowledge to work.. now this is my tune.. on 93 oct., started with 18psi and will move up from there.. but did 18psi, afr starts at 12.5 12.0 for boost build up and tapers to 11.8 11.5 by mid and 11.0 by top end.. with no knock.. all my mods are on my sig.. now like i said this is my first attempt so be easy on me lol.. just wana learn and wana get opions.. only way to learn is to ask questions thanks..

Last edited by DREVO978; Oct 30, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DREVO978

wats up guys.. so im learing how to tune.. been reading and reading and now starting to put the knowledge to work.. now this is my tune.. on 93 oct., started with 18psi and will move up from there.. but did 18psi, afr starts at 12.5 12.0 for boost build up and tapers to 11.8 11.5 by mid and 11.0 by top end.. with no knock.. all my mods are on my sig.. now like i said this is my first attempt so be easy on me lol.. just wana learn and wana get opions.. only way to learn is to ask questions thanks..
Lots of things to work on bud. First and foremost, get rid of that block of -10s in the middle of your map unless your trying to break something. Try to keep the difference from cell to cell no more than 3. Timing should decrease as you go across the load columns (left to right) and increase as you go through the RPMs (top to bottom). Timing at peak torque could be anywhere from 3-7 and then increase from there to about 13-18 at redline (7000). Different cars and setups will take different amounts of timing so start low and then increase until you start to get knock. Then back off a degree or two.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like your opinions.

Please feel free to PM me on this, or reply here if that's the procedure. Please note...

My engine is a 4g94, so timing shifts roughly 100 -> 120 and maybe... 160 -> 220 as far as lancer timing -> evo timing.

This is roughly...8 or 9 psi.
Attached Thumbnails Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-timingmap.png   Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-knocksum.png   Let's see your fully tuned timing maps-dynooz.jpg  

Last edited by HornstarBU; Oct 30, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ian0611
Lots of things to work on bud. First and foremost, get rid of that block of -10s in the middle of your map unless your trying to break something. Try to keep the difference from cell to cell no more than 3. Timing should decrease as you go across the load columns (left to right) and increase as you go through the RPMs (top to bottom). Timing at peak torque could be anywhere from 3-7 and then increase from there to about 13-18 at redline (7000). Different cars and setups will take different amounts of timing so start low and then increase until you start to get knock. Then back off a degree or two.
Thanks For the info.. That -10 block is for the 2 step.. But I guess I heard wrong on doin that lol.. Ill get rid of that asap.. And I get wat you mean about the timing.. If I get rid of that -10 block would that affect my 2 step at all?..
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks For the info.. That -10 block is for the 2 step.. But I guess I heard wrong on doin that lol.. Ill get rid of that asap.. And I get wat you mean about the timing.. If I get rid of that -10 block would that affect my 2 step at all?..
You can get Tephra v7 with launch maps, then it's a separate timing map for that.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
You can get Tephra v7 with launch maps, then it's a separate timing map for that.
I had v7 and went back to my stock rom.. Cause of that whole mac thing.. But maibe Ill just load it back on..
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

I noticed and forgot to post.. At 3100 to 3180 I get 1 count of knock.. At 116 load.. You think that is sumthing I should worry about?..
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

I see your reasoning but I think it's dangerous to do it that way, especially with running that much negative timing. Like the other guy said, I definitely suggest going to Tephra V7 if you're looking for some launch control.

I had v7 and went back to my stock rom.. Cause of that whole mac thing.. But maibe Ill just load it back on..
What mac thing are you talking about?

I noticed and forgot to post.. At 3100 to 3180 I get 1 count of knock.. At 116 load.. You think that is sumthing I should worry about?..
I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably false knock anyway.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

I see your reasoning but I think it's dangerous to do it that way, especially with running that much negative timing. Like the other guy said, I definitely suggest going to Tephra V7 if you're looking for some launch control.

What mac thing are you talking about?

I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably false knock anyway.

Yea..ill just switch back to tephra.. That mac thing is a motorist assistance center.. Its a special inspection thing we evo and other performance car owners are dealing with.. They are trying to crack down on altered ecus..it sucks.. I failed 5 times and just recently passed on my 6th try lol
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yea..ill just switch back to tephra.. That mac thing is a motorist assistance center.. Its a special inspection thing we evo and other performance car owners are dealing with.. They are trying to crack down on altered ecus..it sucks.. I failed 5 times and just recently passed on my 6th try lol
Ahhh I see. Heard about that out there. Must really stink. Fortunately I don't have to deal with inspections where I'm at
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Ahhh I see. Heard about that out there. Must really stink. Fortunately I don't have to deal with inspections where I'm at
Luckyyyy... Lol.. Well I passed.. And now I know how to go at it... Now question.. Once I get rid of the -10 block and put the timing back to normal.. Will it still be ok to 2 step for launch.. Or is the v7 manditory..
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Luckyyyy... Lol.. Well I passed.. And now I know how to go at it... Now question.. Once I get rid of the -10 block and put the timing back to normal.. Will it still be ok to 2 step for launch.. Or is the v7 manditory..
Yeah you'll be fine to 2-step, that's how I'm doing right now. The reason to run that much negative timing in a launch map is to help build boost during the 2-step. I've heard some say it helps a lot but I've never tried it before. I'm building 9-10psi in my 2-step without using launch maps right now.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
right, but it takes less than 5 minutes to flash between the two roms...keep one stock rom with emissions patch for inspection and have your v7 for all other times...not that difficult.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
right, but it takes less than 5 minutes to flash between the two roms...keep one stock rom with emissions patch for inspection and have your v7 for all other times...not that difficult.
Thats wat I did... I got one for inspection and then my other ones..
Old Nov 1, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I need some help dialing in an EF2 turbo. The run below was made with a blend of 93/110 leaded in the tank. The entire pull was knock free so I know more power can be had by adding some timing but honestly this semi conservative timing is about as aggressive as I would feel comfortable with on the big track.

To set the stage, this is a lightly modded EVO9. Many parts are still stock such as: Airbox, air filter, O2 housing, cams and exhaust manifold. For the most part it has 3" TBE, LICP, 1050cc injectors and an unported EF2 turbo with high psi wastegate.

Looking at similarly sized turbos I guess this one is doing ok. My concern is that the TQ/HP don't really align with what I would expect at these boost levels. I have double checked for boost leaks, exhaust leaks, compression, and WG preload all are dialed in less the preload which is too high but for this testing that shouldn't be an issue.

On the factory nine turbo set at 26psi I was seeing 350TQ at 3900 rpm and 355HP at 5750. Right now I'm almost hitting 30psi and I'm just not seeing the TQ. I've included a log to review boost, timing, AF and load. Do these numbers pass the smell test? Should I really only be hitting 306 load? Should I really try to run more timing at peak TQ? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Let's see your fully tuned timing maps