Notices
ECU Flash

Meth Failsafe and Patches

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
ok I won't do the flip/flop safety to being with.

Can you just confirm that 0xFFFF8928 (the first byte of ADC0F) is always 0?

Rather than probing the 2nd byte I will look at the whole word - better programmingness :P

Also whats the reaction time when applying 1.7v to that channel in EvoScan? pretty instant?
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I tested, FFFF0x8928 did nothing, just confirm that MrFred had the same results.

It seemed to be nearly instant to me
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:19 PM
EvoM Guru

ok cool - can you pm me your email address, I will send you a ROM soonish, once we confirm it works then we can post it up
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
ok I won't do the flip/flop safety to being with.
Is the flipflop thing to do with boucing switch contacts? You can still incorporate the flipflop thing with mimimum delay?
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:27 PM
EvoM Guru

yes bouncing contacts as well - don't want to keep switching between maps if there is a dodgey connection...
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Also whats the reaction time when applying 1.7v to that channel in EvoScan? pretty instant?
Its in the millisec realm.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:32 PM
EvoM Guru

hrmm the current logic will break "autoics" enablement of the altmap system. So what I was thinking was ADC0F will only go back to the standard maps if it was the one that went to altmaps in the first place.

ie If the user used the AutoICS switch to go to altmaps then having 0v on ADC0F (the default) would have no affect. However if ADC0F was > 4.7v and then went to 0v then the ECU would revert back to standard maps.

This add's a bit of complexity but should fix non-meth users.

What do you all think? Feel free to suggest a better way to do it.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Right so lets get the logic down:

When ADC0F > 0x00F0 (4.7v) the ECU will use the Altmap(Meth)
When ADC0F == 0x0000 (0v) the ECU will use the standard maps(NoMeth)
+ Instant switching

This means in the future we can interpolate between the 2 maps as well. I choose greater than 4.7v just incase the methbox can't provide a nice flat 5v. Presumably it can provide 0v pretty easy?

Sound ok? Or would you like a safety delay for activating meth maps, just incase the methbox is flip/flopping?...
Cheers
D.
What do you think about binning the 255 range say into increments of 5 or 10? This would allow for a bit of fluctuation (0.1 V) and still allow for 25 to 51 descrete interpolations when it comes time to do map blending.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:46 PM
EvoM Guru

hrmm the current logic will break "autoics" enablement of the altmap system. So what I was thinking was ADC0F will only go back to the standard maps if it was the one that went to altmaps in the first place.

ie If the user used the AutoICS switch to go to altmaps then having 0v on ADC0F (the default) would have no affect. However if ADC0F was > 4.7v and then went to 0v then the ECU would revert back to standard maps.

This add's a bit of complexity but should fix non-meth users.

What do you all think? Feel free to suggest a better way to do it.
You want to use the ICS circuitry and ADC 0F?
Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Well I want to have 1 or 2 common code bases (ics/non ics), otherwise I will get confused when debugging/answering ppl's questions.

So for ICS equipped evo's they have the option of using the autoics switch to enable altmaps. This means they don't have to wire in a switch. stock hardware is good

For non-ICS equipped evo's they will have to wire in a 5v/0v switch to enable/disable the altmaps.

re binning, that's still an option with 0v=disable and >4.7v enable we still have everywhere in between to do interpolation down the track.

ps MrFred do you want to be the tester for 88590015?
Old Jan 1, 2008, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Well I want to have 1 or 2 common code bases (ics/non ics), otherwise I will get confused when debugging/answering ppl's questions.

So for ICS equipped evo's they have the option of using the autoics switch to enable altmaps. This means they don't have to wire in a switch. stock hardware is good

For non-ICS equipped evo's they will have to wire in a 5v/0v switch to enable/disable the altmaps.

re binning, that's still an option with 0v=disable and >4.7v enable we still have everywhere in between to do interpolation down the track.

ps MrFred do you want to be the tester for 88590015?
Yep, I'd like to be the tester for 88590015. I will be using this to switch maps for E85 and pump gas (eventually). :-) A little further in the future, I want to use a flex fuel sensor with a 0 - 5 V analog converter to do automatic map blending between pump gas and E85/98.

One of the pins I tested had 4.98 V. I think the manual switching solution for Evo 9s (and probably 8's since JofT found a 5 V pin on the Evo 8 as well) will be to wire a toggle between this pin and the ADC 0F pin. Too easy. :-) I swear that Mitsubishi left these pins like this for just this sort of thing. They just didn't expect us to be doing it.

PS: I'm extremely excited about this! A true flex fuel Evo with map blending for pump gas and E85 will be awesome. 400 whp on E85 with the stock Evo 8 turbo has already be proven. Should be even better for an Evo 9.

Last edited by mrfred; Jan 1, 2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Yep, I'd like to be the tester for 88590015. I will be using this to switch maps for E85 and pump gas (eventually). :-) A little further in the future, I want to use a flex fuel sensor with a 0 - 5 V analog converter to do automatic map blending between pump gas and E85/98.

One of the pins I tested had 4.98 V. I think the manual switching solution for Evo 9s (and probably 8's since JofT found a 5 V pin on the Evo 8 as well) will be to wire a toggle between this pin and the ADC 0F pin. Too easy. :-) I swear that Mitsubishi left these pins like this for just this sort of thing. They just didn't expect us to be doing it.
gotta love this car
Old Jan 1, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The only 2 features I need for a good alky kit control system is one wire to activate the alky kit (via a load setting, being exceeded...say, 150) which I'm sure can be done using the ICS output wire. The other is the failsafe wire we have created. Thats it really. If the ADC_0F input and/or the auto ICS switch can switch the mapping, cool beans.

I was thinking the same thing with that 5V wire I found Mrfred,lol. I tested the current required and its literally 0mA so using that wire will be fine as long as its constantly a 5V source.

I'm PMing you now with my email address tephra
Old Jan 1, 2008, 07:06 PM
EvoM Guru

ok rom sent - do be to worried if it doesn't work straight out, I kinda expect it not too I can't test atm so we might have to go through a couple of iterations before it works.

Now what I want to know is does the non-ics equipped evo's have the ICS lamp in the dash? As this will still be a good method of alerting the user to what map is currently running! MrFred do you know?
Old Jan 1, 2008, 07:15 PM
EvoM Guru

ok also, If 99% of people that have Meth hijack their ICS then I can code in something to ping the ICS relay when load > XXX, that way you can use this as a trigger for your mister...

what u think?

in fact you could just use the current "spray on knock" and set the knock to 0...

Quick Reply: Meth Failsafe and Patches