ECU Flash

Meth Failsafe and Patches

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Evo 8's:

PIN 42 is map switching input (connected to pin 87 on relay)
PIN 52 is 5V source (connected to pin 30 on relay)

Evo 9's:

PIN 64 is map switching input (connected to pin 87 on relay)
PIN ??(ask MrFred) is 5V source (connected to pin 30 on relay)

I don't think a fuse is really necessary on the 5v wire since no current is drawn at ALL, it only reads a difference in voltage potential (like a digital volt meter does). I would however put a 3 or 5 amp inline fuse on the +12V wire that powers up the relay.

Some alky kits might have a +12V trigger, some might have a trigger that is a ground so you'd just need to make sure the opposite side of the relay gets the appropriate connection to power it up.

Once we prove the new ROM coding works and I get my set of ECU pins in the mail, I'll do a full tutorial on how to add this stuff. Its gonna be a REALLY easy and a VERRRY cheap upgrade
chicky chicky yeah...i would tell you to go to sleep, however, that would slow progress down.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 01:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evoryder,

You need to add a resistor before the zener diode or you will blown it up.

Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Evo 8's:

PIN 42 is map switching input (connected to pin 87 on relay)
PIN 52 is 5V source (connected to pin 30 on relay)

Evo 9's:

PIN 64 is map switching input (connected to pin 87 on relay)
PIN ??(ask MrFred) is 5V source (connected to pin 30 on relay)

I don't think a fuse is really necessary on the 5v wire since no current is drawn at ALL, it only reads a difference in voltage potential (like a digital volt meter does). I would however put a 3 or 5 amp inline fuse on the +12V wire that powers up the relay.

Some alky kits might have a +12V trigger, some might have a trigger that is a ground so you'd just need to make sure the opposite side of the relay gets the appropriate connection to power it up.

Once we prove the new ROM coding works and I get my set of ECU pins in the mail, I'll do a full tutorial on how to add this stuff. Its gonna be a REALLY easy and a VERRRY cheap upgrade
Jamie,

I am a bit confused with pin 42 of the EVO8. It appeared to be a 5V power source for sensors.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:46 AM
Former Sponsor

tephra,

Are you at present re-assign ADC0F to ICS for the EVO8? It may not be a bad thing to have this button (A or M) have a dual function.

It is not too difficult for me to identify the state of ICS toggle (A or M) provided there is feedback from another pin to confirm the status. This will prevent any "out of sync". Detecting the blinking led is one way we can achieve this.

Last edited by Richard L; Jan 4, 2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tephra
yeah it wont swap maps if its over a certain load... let me check the code

I look forward to this. I may be able to disable any attempt on our failsafe output to switch map until the load is drop below 110 (default)? As a secondary precaution, we drop the boost first to enable returmning to a normal map.

This is important if we cannot disable the altmap at full boost when meths flow is interrupted.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Richard, without the resistor you aren't going to blow anything up. The ADC input is already internally resistant of over 1M ohms. And yes, pin 42 is 1000% the correct ADC0F input
Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard L
Jamie,

I am a bit confused with pin 42 of the EVO8. It appeared to be a 5V power source for sensors.
Richard, Pin 81 is 5 V power for sensors on USDM Evo 8s. Is it something different on the EDM Evo8s?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades;
Richard, without the resistor you aren't going to blow anything up. The ADC input is already internally resistant of over 1M ohms. And yes, pin 42 is 1000% the correct ADC0F input

Sorry I didn't make it very clear. I was referring to blowing up the zener diodes.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Richard, Pin 81 is 5 V power for sensors on USDM Evo 8s. Is it something different on the EDM Evo8s?
yep pin 81 is +5v for sensors on all 4 plug ecu's in evos 4 to 8.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Just got home and my ECU pins came. www.newark.com is fast, 2nd day air shipping

Back on track now, MrFred, do you know which unused pinout you tested that was a 5V source so I can document it?

Tephra, I am going to mess with the autoICS switch now and see if the ROM works. Since this affects things, I assume you have it set so you can switch maps via the autoICS switch OR the ADC input in this rom? IS there a way to have the autoICS map switching option to be enabled/disabled in your mod list?

I had more things running around in my head at work but they are escaping me at the moment,lol.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Back on track now, MrFred, do you know which unused pinout you tested that was a 5V source so I can document it?

Pin 23. I have not tested it extensively though. I would like to verify the voltage is constant under daily driving (i.e., its not some sort of control output) and get an idea of what kind of load it can handle.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Well, the ADC input is NO load at all, literally. The ADC input circuit draws less than .04mA (i.e; NOTHING,lol). I also checked and the voltage on the 5V source drops from 5.04v to 4.81v (explaining why I got 244 on evoscan isntead of 255) with the switch activated. Adding a 10k ohm resistor inline increased the voltage drop to 4.41V. With 4.81v and .00004 amps of current, that would be a 120,500 ohm load given by the ADC input. If you use it solely for the ADC input trigger, you shouldn't have any issues. You can hook it up to the ADC input and log it under the FFFF0x2929 MUT and confirm its constant. Mine seems to be so far. I'd assume its set to be 'on' in the ecu unless actually set to do something. It also could be a testing pinout to check things in the ECU or sensors.

I just tested my ROM with the ICS switch hooked back up and its still not switching maps. Tephra will have to take a look at it and see if he missed something or needs to change some settings.

Oh, the pins i got are a perfect fit 10 pins shipped via 2nd day air cost me $1.22 lol

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Jan 4, 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Pin 23. I have not tested it extensively though. I would like to verify the voltage is constant under daily driving (i.e., its not some sort of control output) and get an idea of what kind of load it can handle.
here ya go guys according to the diagrams pin 42 is constant 5V+ for sensors on the Evo 9,

Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Nice, thanks Barry
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BarryC
here ya go guys according to the diagrams pin 42 is constant 5V+ for sensors on the Evo 9,

Yes, that is another option I was considering. I would like to avoid having to use it to keep the stock harness untouched and keep the draw on that power source to a minimum.

Quick Reply: Meth Failsafe and Patches