Notices
ECU Flash

Meth Failsafe and Patches

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The easiest input I can think of to mimic is the clutch switch. I believe thats simply a ground/no ground switching setup in the ECU.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternating toggle, momentary switch can be made.

But if it gets out of step!!!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
Alternating toggle, momentary switch can be made.

But if it gets out of step!!!
Exactly my point With it set to be [ NO GROUND= alky map, GROUND= safe map] its cut and dry. With a momentary switching device, it can totally become a backwards effort.

I really wish someone made a tutorial on how to disassemble and track down a feature in the ECU. Like do a step-by-step on how to find the stationary rev limit code or something.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Dec 30, 2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Exactly my point With it set to be [ NO GROUND= alky map, GROUND= safe map] its cut and dry. With a momentary switching device, it can totally become a backwards effort.
That would be great....
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
guys we might use that free ADC input that MrFred found, setup would be like this:

ADC0F 5v = altmap
ADC0F 0v = normal map

I think that would provide a more stable solution, can your meth boxes emit 0 or 5V when broken/ok?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor

There must be unused pin available within the many pins on the ECU?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

I can use a 5V voltage regulator that flows thru a transistor to be on or off depending on the triggers from the failsafes. Write up a code on a 94170014 rom with that ADC input and I can try it out tomorrow or tuesday (paid days off ).

There must be unused pin available within the many pins on the ECU?
Thats what Tephra is talking about. MrFred found one unused input that I believe all 8's and 9's have available, yes?

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Dec 30, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
guys we might use that free ADC input that MrFred found, setup would be like this:

ADC0F 5v = altmap
ADC0F 0v = normal map

I think that would provide a more stable solution, can your meth boxes emit 0 or 5V when broken/ok?
yes
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades

Thats what Tephra is talking about. MrFred found one unused input that I believe all 8's and 9's have available, yes?
I've got it nailed for the 9, but not yet for the 8. I had to make a 30 wire harness that I used to connect to all the unused pins and test each pin one-by-one. Total effort including working my way through the ROM code and prepping EvoScan was probably close to 40 hrs. My wife is ready to kill me.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
I've got it nailed for the 9, but not yet for the 8. I had to make a 30 wire harness that I used to connect to all the unused pins and test each pin one-by-one. Total effort including working my way through the ROM code and prepping EvoScan was probably close to 40 hrs. My wife is ready to kill me.
Lol, my fiance always is about to kill me when I work on my car projects....then she buys me cams.

WOMEN.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
...great work so far.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

If ADC channel ( if it is a true ADC) can modify fuel and ignition map based on a 0-5V meths flow sensor - we will have a truly ultimate close-loop fail safe.

The more meth you inject, the more aggressive the timing advance and more fuel can be taken out. Need to write a patch for the meths vs fuel/ignition trim %.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
oh yeah I know all about the Wife (Girlfriend) factor hehehe kinda why I havn't done anything for a week or two

Nice work MrFred, is ADC0F mapped to another memory variable or is it just the raw input in the code?

We might as well make this the official input for mapchanging on the nonICS equipped evo's as well, to standardise it. That way people can wire in a switch to flip between maps.

This week I will try and get a ROM out for someone that wants to help test this new mod, once it works then I can roll it out for other ROMID's with instructions on howto wire it up. Maybe Jamie since this is your baby?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

If ADC channel ( if it is a true ADC) can modify fuel and ignition map based on a 0-5V meths flow sensor - we will have a truly ultimate close-loop fail safe.

The more meth you inject, the more aggressive the timing advance and more fuel can be taken out. Need to write a patch for the meths vs fuel/ignition trim %.
would be nice...teph

Originally Posted by tephra
oh yeah I know all about the Wife (Girlfriend) factor hehehe kinda why I havn't done anything for a week or two

Nice work MrFred, is ADC0F mapped to another memory variable or is it just the raw input in the code?

We might as well make this the official input for mapchanging on the nonICS equipped evo's as well, to standardise it. That way people can wire in a switch to flip between maps.

This week I will try and get a ROM out for someone that wants to help test this new mod, once it works then I can roll it out for other ROMID's with instructions on howto wire it up. Maybe Jamie since this is your baby?
If we can locate the pins for the VIII's vs IX's jamie or myself would be more than happy to test.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Its definitely an ADC channel. I've already checked the scaling. :-) High/low map interpolation for meth content is now just a matter of some coding.

Quick Reply: Meth Failsafe and Patches