Notices
ECU Flash

Meth Failsafe and Patches

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, I'll do some tidying up of it to make it as slick as possible to put in various ROMs - the hooks are in completely different parts of the ECU than your routines so there should be no conflicts. Then I'll modify your latest v5 (send me a copy if it changes) and document the changes. Then you can simply test it writing/reading maps to spare areas in RAM.

I'll leave the positioning of stuff in ROM and RAM (and the copying of them) up to you, I'll supply the PC software and ECU mods to allow editing your RAM using DMA.

Leave me some spare RAM, can I have FFFF8000-FFFF80FF for example on the IXs? Or tell me which bit I can have? Leave me a chunk of ROM as well, how about 50000-50FFF for my code?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeah the only reason why is use 8400 is because its universally free

I'm using upto 843C I think, so maybe you can use 8480 upto 8500 - not sure if its free thou

0x51000 is good. just incase my code gets bigger then 1k :P on the 256k roms I use 3F000 i think...
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Variables: ISWYM about 8400 being universal, I'll use 8480 then.

Maps: Looks like A000 is also universally free - until you meet the stack coming down on the 7/8, but there should be 2k there which would do 2 sets of fuel, timing, boost and some variables.

Code: In terms of ROM, I don't see any obvious universal area between all the models, just allocate me a kilobyte on the 7/8 and the 9 and tell me where?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I've now successsfully installed Jack of Trades switch harness on my IX. It took a bit of determination but I got the VIII pin in the IX plug. The VIII pin on Jamie's harness that I will use temporarily until the IX pins come in is quite a bit wider that the IX pins are. So, I had to mash the pin with a vice grip until it was roughly the same shape of one of the existing IX pins. After getting the pin inserted into the correct location and the restraint locked down, I inserted a needle into the newly inserted pin location to ensure the pin from the ECU would be able to be inserted without pushing the new location out as I plugged the harness back into the ECU.

Your best bet is to remove one of the smaller pins from the IX harness to use for reference for size and shape.

pin removal instructions courtesy of mrfred:

First you need to remove the secondary restraint. Its that colored piece. It pops off at one end of the plug using a screw driver.

Next, you need a sewing needle and a pair of vise grips. Clamp the needle in the vise grips. The release tang is built into the pin itself. While pulling the pin very gently, slide the needle along the pin via the little "T" opening on the business end of the plug. You should feel the pin pop loose when you push the release tang down far enough.

I was then able to log MUT83 (adc_0f) in EvoScan. With the switch off it registered at 0 and with the switch on it registered 185. I don't know why it didn't log closer to 255, maybe Jamie can provide some information on that. However, it does present a state change for which the V5 patch should be able to use.

Ready to test the patch tephra!

Nice work on the harness Jamie, thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I've seen the video on how to de-pin the VIII hardness, but is it the same method on the IX? I looked last weekend and it seemed different. Please expand on how it is done with the IX harness, thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

^^^ ???

What ROMID tek? I think you already said but i'm still half asleep :P
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

88590015, thanks tephra
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lapulapu
I've seen the video on how to de-pin the VIII hardness, but is it the same method on the IX? I looked last weekend and it seemed different. Please expand on how it is done with the IX harness, thanks.
Depinning is similar to the VIII in that there is a restraint for the plug itself and a pin release for each pin, but not they are not released in the same way as the VIII. As said above you should use a needle to relase the pin from the harness. as far as the restraint on the harness plug, there is a lacth on one side of the plug, pull the tab on the grey plug slightly away from the plug while pulling up on the colored restraint. the restraint swings out from the plug once you release the tab. I found it better not to pull the restraint all the way off as it is a pain to get all the wires in the correct location again to put it back on.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:42 PM
EvoM Guru

pm me your email - i can send it when I get to work!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tek3Evo
Ok, so I've now successsfully installed Jack of Trades switch harness on my IX. It took a bit of determination but I got the VIII pin in the IX plug. The VIII pin on Jamie's harness that I will use temporarily until the IX pins come in is quite a bit wider that the IX pins are. So, I had to mash the pin with a vice grip until it was roughly the same shape of one of the existing IX pins. After getting the pin inserted into the correct location and the restraint locked down, I inserted a needle into the newly inserted pin location to ensure the pin from the ECU would be able to be inserted without pushing the new location out as I plugged the harness back into the ECU.

Your best bet is to remove one of the smaller pins from the IX harness to use for reference for size and shape.

pin removal instructions courtesy of mrfred:

First you need to remove the secondary restraint. Its that colored piece. It pops off at one end of the plug using a screw driver.

Next, you need a sewing needle and a pair of vise grips. Clamp the needle in the vise grips. The release tang is built into the pin itself. While pulling the pin very gently, slide the needle along the pin via the little "T" opening on the business end of the plug. You should feel the pin pop loose when you push the release tang down far enough.

I was then able to log MUT83 (adc_0f) in EvoScan. With the switch off it registered at 0 and with the switch on it registered 185. I don't know why it didn't log closer to 255, maybe Jamie can provide some information on that. However, it does present a state change for which the V5 patch should be able to use.

Ready to test the patch tephra!

Nice work on the harness Jamie, thanks.
Sorry I didn't respond to your PM yesterday Tek, I have mono and literally passed out from exhaustion right after I got home from work. Unfortunately, I can't find one DAMN evo IX owner near me to take pics or video's of how to install the VIII pin in the IX harness temporarily or I would have. I only had MrFreds word that you can rig the VIII pin work for for the time being.

As far as I knew, there isn't any wire in the pin location, like on the VIII's. You explained how to remove a pin first, is there one in the pin 64 location for the ADC wire already??? I assume you just need to depin the ignition and ground wires when you tap for power correct?

This HERE is the best description of how to remove the IX pins so far. If someone wants to make a video or take detailed pics, I will GLADLY post them on the tutorial for the commuminty.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Feb 13, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Tom, you have V1.0 of my harness which is affected by battery voltage and might fluctuate from 3.5-5.0 volts. Version 1.1 now hoods a solid 5 volts regardless of battery voltage (thanks RichardL). Only a few guys got version 1.0 but all you need to do is make sure the switch-point setting in the patch is set less than 185 (I'd set it at 2.5v which would be 127), it will switch maps no problem. To confirm this, start the car and see what your MUT83 # becomes in evoscan. If you really want the upgraded v1.1 harness, you can just send back your harness and I'll upgrade it for free.

I updated the DIY diagrams in my tutorial earlier this week for version 1.1 so for anyone who was going to try and make their own, give it another look
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:02 PM

Everyone on here that contributes to the community is awesome I unfortunately am completley new to tuning and have very limited knowledge of cars, basically useless.

Anyway, I was wondering Tephra if you are still working on coding up interpolation from the 0-5v flex fuel sensor?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

no, there was no pin at 64, just the other two locations. After I got the instructions from mrfred I had no problem getting pins out. That helped me get the VIII smashed to the right size too. I'll stick with v. 1 as it is finally in and I want to play with it now. Since I'm just using it for map switching and don't have a failsafe need, it'll be good. Would you mind sending me parts needed to make to the harness to make it 1.1. That way if I decide to, I can do it myself. Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Would you mind sending me parts needed to make to the harness to make it 1.1. That way if I decide to, I can do it myself. Thanks
Fair enough. You'll be getting a standard envelope full of gadgets soon
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Hey Flint...

I will get V5 out for some ROMID's before doing flex - but I already have a plan for flex so shouldn't be too hard

Cheers
D.

Quick Reply: Meth Failsafe and Patches