ECU Flash

ECU does add timing...discuss

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
ECU does add timing...discuss

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...tQxCRcag&hl=en

If you look in this log and compare the load values (actually it is recorded load+temp+baro for total corrected load) to the ignition map none of the timing values seem to match. My theory is that the MIVEC advance also alters total timing. The other idea is that maybe there is an ignition advance table based off a lack of knock akin to the Subaru. Thoughts and discussion to this subject only please (or related subjects if pertinent).

I noticed this yesterday when I was on a quick tune up/log compare and actually logged to file today to make sure I wasnt totally insane and had been seeing things.

JB

Last edited by JohnBradley; Jan 14, 2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off the link you posted only goes to a login screen. Just a head's up for ya'. As for advancing timing, I don't think it's limited to the 9's either...I've logged advancing timing that according to my timing tables is just not there on my 8. I've seen upwards of 26* advance on a log that according to the corresponding cell is only supposed to have 14* or so max, and then once knock is triggered it seems to back itself off to the programmed number and try advancing again. I thought I was seeing things at first, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with open-loop at all (I first noticed it during open loop part throttle tests to try and cure a pesky 3k rpm knock problem). It would be good to find out, as it would lend a bit of insight for tuning purposes.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm...it was sposed to be publicly shared...try it now?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well pic works but link still doesn't

Last edited by Twilight Slide; Jan 14, 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: i'm a moron, jyeahh, need to read up on mapshhh
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

The main thrust of this thread is that the table obviously exists in more than one app. I always thought that the Subarus had it easy since realistically only needs fuel changes and the timing takes care of itself (more or less).

I am wondering (hint hint) if this table couldnt be decomplied and implemented into a patch more akin to the Subaru? I am not a lazy tuner, but it would definitely make racegas maps and changes at the track signficantly faster.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have theorized this months ago, but haven't said anything as I wasn't certain if the logger was inaccurate or it was another anomonaly. As MIVEC retards back it appears the timing on the log increases and vice versa.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

I can get it, but I have a Gmail account. You can post a spreadsheet up here without zipping it by just changing the extension, and telling everyone to change it back when they download it. Granted that kind of circumvents the reason they limit it to certain extensions, but it works.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Apparently a Gmail or Googledoc account is needed but since its free I suggest getting it. Its where I put all my logs that are worth seeing.

Edit- As you can see I dont have that particular cruise area set all the same between the 3 high octane maps so the timing differs from 2-5*
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting...
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
There are high det and low det ign advance maps. The high det map has 0* for all loads and RPM areas. The low det has some ign advancement in the low load areas. Mostly transition from idle to cruise loads.

They just aren't defined in Ecuflash but another app.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Are they labeled as Det maps or low and high octane maps like normal adjustments Bryan?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:34 PM
EvoM Guru

low det and high det.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slo_crx1
First off the link you posted only goes to a login screen. Just a head's up for ya'. As for advancing timing, I don't think it's limited to the 9's either...I've logged advancing timing that according to my timing tables is just not there on my 8. I've seen upwards of 26* advance on a log that according to the corresponding cell is only supposed to have 14* or so max, and then once knock is triggered it seems to back itself off to the programmed number and try advancing again. I thought I was seeing things at first, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with open-loop at all (I first noticed it during open loop part throttle tests to try and cure a pesky 3k rpm knock problem). It would be good to find out, as it would lend a bit of insight for tuning purposes.
What you describe here is only happens off boost in the 8 it is like the old vacuum advance in distribuitors.

What the OP is talking about is at WOT and liked to MIVEC in the 9.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jorge T

What the OP is talking about is at WOT and liked to MIVEC in the 9.

Did you look at his log? It is not at WOT.

As far as I know the 3 timing maps are linked to the Mivec @ WOT on the 9. Making them all the same takes this dynamic timing change between all 3 maps out.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

However as we have covered it still doesnt change the cruise portions (as set by the factory map). The rest of my maps are all the same (slap my wrist later) as I had been chasing the phantom knock from my clutch. Thank you for your input everyone. Bryan, do think that if we altered the cruise map portions in non cruise areas it would give us a similar effect to what the Subarus have? OR am I dreaming...

Quick Reply: ECU does add timing...discuss