Notices
ECU Flash

Evo IX Unresponsive to Fuel Map Changes.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 03:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX Unresponsive to Fuel Map Changes.

To all:

Last night I ventured out with a friends car to fix a previous tune, and ended up with move of a headache than anything. The car in question is a 06 Evo IX with 88590013 ROM.

I loaded in the Tephra Mods, Enabled 2Byte Load, Disabled Lean Spool, Hooked up the LM-1, and off we went.

When we reached the tuning area, We did our first pull, and the car was running around very low 14's to very low 13's by redline. (Yipes) No knock higher than two was logged. Interesting. His prior ROM was junk, so I kept the stock fuel map and started tuning from there.

To make a long story short, I was adding more and more fuel with every pull, and eventually reached values of high 8's in his fuel map, but the AFR's always stayed the same. No changes showed with the exception of over 7,000 rpm's.

So, I had tuned a 06 IX with ROM 88590015 a few weeks prior, and his worked like a champ, so i decided to see if there would be a change by popping in his map, and doing a quick careful pull. To my surprise, the AFR's didn't change again. The car was running fine, smoother, but a little down on power because of the lack of a full tune yet. The Timing numbers were dropped a tad bit, but up from a stock car's numbers, as well as all three timing maps being the same.

So, due to the AFR's not changing, I am going to try and recalibrate the LM1 (It should have been calibrated since I did it a few weeks prior with the other guys tune) and look over the car mechanically.

Could this be a mechanical issue with the car? Maybe his FPR isn't right? The car seemed to be looking what appeared to be good numbers, so i am thinking that something mechanical might be going on here.

Anyone ran into something like this, and if so, what was wrong?

(The car was put back to his 88590013 ROM, and is running the prior tune now)
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Did turning lean spool off make any difference?

If it didn't I would think something mechanical is amiss.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Did turning lean spool off make any difference?

If it didn't I would think something mechanical is amiss.
I would be more inclined to look at the wideband sensor....

Did the car feel any more sluggish the more fuel you put in?

I had a similar issue on a 9 one time and it ended up being the o2 sensor..

Though now that I think on it, I tuned an 8 on meth one time(with scaled 680's) and the car woudln't budge off of 12.3-12.6. I put in a bunk tune map(whole map scaled for injectors instead of the right way..) and it worked ok...wierd...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Fuel pump? Or LM1 has left the building. With AFR's like that and any form of an aggressive ignition map (stock for the matter) the only reason you would have 2 counts of knock is because the holes in the pistons are keeping the cylinder pressure from getting to high.

My money is on the O2.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also have an unknown fuel mapping problem. At 6500 rpm car goes rich (rich for me) to high 11-1 AFR. Logged AFRMAP goes from it's correct fuel table value of 151, then jumps to 157 (12.0 cell value) for some reason. Respective IPW stays flat from about 6000 rpm up just to prove this is an override to the oct fuel map.

Cant be the baro table, it doesn't change at that point, and the air temp logs change little. Can't think of anything else, except MAF tables -Weird
Old Jan 23, 2008, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

I spoke more in dept with the owner of the car last night, and the primary O2 sensor was just replaced, but other than that, he has the standard mds, 3" TBE, ARC Induction box, Cams, and that's about it. So, soon I am going to look at the FPR vac line just as a piece of mind, along with a few other things. As for the LM1, I need to tune my car soon, and it has an LC1, so maybe I will put both LM1 and LC1 to use and see if the readings are very close.

I am just really surprised that even with a totally new map, the AFR really didn't change. So, maybe it is the O2 in the LM1..

Also, can a 88590015 be swapped in for a 88590013? I did try that, but the owner said that after swapping it in, there seemed to be a "rev" hang when letting off the gas. (I know it's not the above 3250 rpm thingy) He said it only happened when he would get off the gas suddenly, or blip the throttle usually under 3,000 rpm's. Funny, I tried to be sneaky and told him that "his" map (that wouldn't rev hang) was in the car, but had the other map in it to see if it was only in his mind, but he picked up on it immediately. (Doh!) Apparently he says (and can identify) the same exact tune in his car, but he can tell the difference between the 88590015 and 88590013 map. Interesting.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Fuel pump? Or LM1 has left the building. With AFR's like that and any form of an aggressive ignition map (stock for the matter) the only reason you would have 2 counts of knock is because the holes in the pistons are keeping the cylinder pressure from getting to high.

My money is on the O2.

Or possibly the piston rings we fried? Damn, where's the mad scientist when I need him?!?!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I never had any problems with the T13 having rev hang issues vs the 15. I also have incorporated some tuning strategies to try and defeat it if it ever did anyyway. I think alot of it is how the Idle tables are setup, since the car will try to revert to them as soon as the throttle closes.

I like your idea of logging the 2 side by side and seeing what happens. I have a cam install to do later after work, but if I get done in time I will put my idle settings and see if that helps. Another thing that I do differently is keep all 3 ignition maps the same. Since the ECU interpolates between them based on MIVEC advance/retard maybe thats some of the hang issue?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an o2 sensor...i had something similar happen to me with my zeitronix...ended up being a dead o2...mine would read the idle AFR just fine but wouldn't read anything below a 12~ AFR...BTW what is the injector duty cycle percentage?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
No prob to run the 88590015 ROM, but it may behave a little differently as you noticed.

Could be the WBO2 sensor or could be the fuel pump. Wouldn't be the first time a fuel pump has caused this sort of issue.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
14 to redline with no knock - O2 gets my vote.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I had the owner of the car verify nothing was amiss in the engine bay with his vacuum hoses, and specifically the one going to the FPR. Seemingly there was nothing wrong, and next time he comes over, we are going to do a two hour boost check. Two hours because he has the bling bling ARC box on it.. Argh..

So, tonight I am going to plug in the LM1 and see what the last settings I had on it were, to see if maybe I had the settings not right.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what was his IDC ?

exhaust leak before the first sensor ?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:42 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1

Also a Fuel Pump failure and/or a WB Sensor failure.

Originally Posted by bigric09
what was his IDC ?

exhaust leak before the first sensor ?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What do the airflow and IPW logs look like? That would reveal if there's a fuel supply problem.

A leak downstream MAF (like a vac line from crankcase vent) would make it lean too, in this case look for low airflow relative to boost.

Quick Reply: Evo IX Unresponsive to Fuel Map Changes.