Notices
ECU Flash

economy tuning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008 | 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
From what I've read online, 14.7 is the chosen a/f ratio for closed loop operations because of emmissions reasons. It keeps the catalytic converter hot enough to do its job.
Thats correct but 15.2-15.5 is best for fuel economy. Choices,choices.
Old Feb 13, 2008 | 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Thats correct but 15.2-15.5 is best for fuel economy. Choices,choices.
\

yep, i run 15.7 - 16.1
Old Feb 13, 2008 | 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Profoxcg
\

yep, i run 15.7 - 16.1
What are your cruising EGT's??? 16.1 is a little higher than I would feel comfortable with. If we could have a setup so at lower closed loop loads it was 16.1 and at the higher closed loop loads it was a bit richer, I'd feel better. I guess you can ust set the lower loads for closed loop and the higher loads for open loop.
Old Feb 13, 2008 | 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley

This is approximate as WB and mods will affect where you need to be of course
can someone please explain the reason for putting it at 45 for the open loop load?

thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
can someone please explain the reason for putting it at 45 for the open loop load?

thanks!

The reason for the 45's is that when the car surpasses a load value of 45, it begins to run off the fuel maps you have defined in your ROM. When the car is under 45, it is running off your primary O2 sensor for fueling. (Basically Open loop vs. closed loop)

Basically, it forces the car to run off your defined maps when the load is over 45 in whatever RPM you have it set for.

You can drop below 45, like I have in my car. I have 20's in all cells because I am trying to get the idle to run lean as well, but I am having a little trouble doing so with my specific car. (05 VIII)
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

^thanks! so its the engine load switching point to openloop. followup question. do any of u know the difference between the 2 tables? or should i just change both?
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I'd like to know that too.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
^thanks! so its the engine load switching point to openloop. followup question. do any of u know the difference between the 2 tables? or should i just change both?

Well there is 4 tables:

2 TPS based and 2 Load based. what the car does is it looks at whichever condition is meet first, either TPS (throtle possition) or load, and goes to Open Loop

high versus low load = highload you are crusing on the highway at 80-100 ECU load but are on Closed loop, so then you press the gas a little more quickly to the ecu will see highload and use that the highload table, wear just putting around the city were the load is usually 35-50, it i will use the low load table...

change both if you want. actually change all 4
set you TPS based table at 25% and your load based at 35-45 for 2500 - 3500 RPMS

this worked for me in the mean time while I got my wideband to emulate and o2 signal. look at a few posts back if you are interested in that. You will need an Zeitronix or Innovative LC-1
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

My LC-1 is already my main O2 signal. I just looked through the PDF manual and didn't find any way to "emulate" 14.7 when it is another value though... I mean, what my LC-1 reads is what it feeds the ECU (in narrowband format, of course).
Edit: My ECU+ can change cruise AFR via any WB input... but I'm not fond of rewiring...

Last edited by honki24; Feb 14, 2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

^ I see. I'll try changing those tables. as for the zeitronix i plan to get that after a few months. I plan on using zeitronix as my boost gauge as well since i do not want to rely on the stock mr boost gauge. if you use the zeitronix feature as the narrow band simulator what do you set it to? do you use that in conjuction with the table changes? Just want to double check, this feature of zeitronix only works while the system is in close loop ryt?
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Profoxcg

this worked for me in the mean time while I got my wideband to emulate and o2 signal. look at a few posts back if you are interested in that. You will need an Zeitronix or Innovative LC-1
Got a link? What is the bennefit of doing this compared to changing the fuel cells in the high octance map for cruising?
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Honestly... I'd say that the only advantage to doing it w/ the WB would be not having to mess w/ the OE closed loop. Actually... I can think of a way that adjusting via WB is potentially harmful. If you are setting some threshold that says "Whenever the WB sees 14.7 or greater, it outputs 14.7 to the narrowband output, to fool the ECU into thinking it has the right cruise AFR" then what if you go lean during cruise sometime and you just happen to not be logging? (many of us don't have an AF light show gauge) Your ECU would think everything is dandy with 14.7AFR, but you could be cruising at like 17 or more and toasting your gaskets. I'm thinking that switiching over to open loop cruising sounds like a better idea... especially since I've already got my EGR disabled.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honki24
Honestly... I'd say that the only advantage to doing it w/ the WB would be not having to mess w/ the OE closed loop. Actually... I can think of a way that adjusting via WB is potentially harmful. If you are setting some threshold that says "Whenever the WB sees 14.7 or greater, it outputs 14.7 to the narrowband output, to fool the ECU into thinking it has the right cruise AFR" then what if you go lean during cruise sometime and you just happen to not be logging? (many of us don't have an AF light show gauge) Your ECU would think everything is dandy with 14.7AFR, but you could be cruising at like 17 or more and toasting your gaskets. I'm thinking that switiching over to open loop cruising sounds like a better idea... especially since I've already got my EGR disabled.
IC. Why would you want to disable your EGR?
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

I disabled it because I really most often use my car for racing so:
A: I wanted the most crisp tip-in throttle possible
B: I've taken the intake manifold off a few times... and I'm tired of seeing soot in it.

Simple answer: most people wouldn't want to disable their EGR.
Old Feb 14, 2008 | 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChuckP
Got a link? What is the bennefit of doing this compared to changing the fuel cells in the high octance map for cruising?
the only benefit is that you dont mess w your open loop settings, or least that much for the porpuse of running leaner during cruise. its less of a pain.

um.. check out my thread on how to install and LC-1 I think its theres somewhere. sorry im in a hurry

Quick Reply: economy tuning