Notices
ECU Flash

Damn Map tracer! Need advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn Map tracer! Need advice

I cant figure out for the life of me how to lean out the highlighted portion of the log. I would think it would be the 3500rpm 220load cell, but when i lean that cell out, it makes the 3600-3800 rpm leaner?, as you can see.

And Map Tracer is no help When i put the mouse over that cell, it show me a range from 10.8-11.7 about 8 different counts.
So how do you guys narrow it down to what cell to modify?

You tuners, please shed some light.

Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Is that 2byte load or CalcLoad?

Also turning down the gain a little on your EBC (still using that right?) will help that little spike and dip in the load. You can also try leaning out the cells before that to help out the enrichment (if it's indeed hitting 220load then lean out the 3200-3500 200 cels)

Last edited by razorlab; Feb 15, 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just like I see razor said, try leaning out the cells prior to that.

Depending on where the wideband is located in the exhaust tract can affect your readings too in contrast to the load logged.

For example, if your wideband way down your exhaust pipe, then you will need to remember the readings are slightly lagging to where they actually are on the map.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

I've got advice, use ECU+ Logs almost 3X faster and the maptracer is amazing! (many many many more awesome features)

Not a sales pitch, I'm actually trying to give helpful advice. I do not benefit from ECU+ sales.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

ECU+ is good but costs more (400-500 I think)...Logworks software is also good and the price is right (free) good maptracer but you have to change the evoscan log files to make it work.

Last edited by chmodlf; Feb 15, 2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah. I have to say though, that I'm getting pretty fed up with the whole Logworks/Mitsulogger/Evoscan thing when I tune others' cars. What a pain in the butt! I've got to log, go open the spreadsheet, change the fields I want to see, freeze the window to keep the headings... blah blah blah blah... Tuning my own car w/ the ECU+ is actually enjoyable again. Plus w/ faster logging you see SO much more than you would have before. I mean I can see my boost fluctuations based on intake valve movements. I can see 1 and 2 knocksums that NEVER show up with mitsulogger.

Obviously there is a price tag. But there are really cool functions that offset that price like:
You can just wire a GM 3 bar right up
You can just wire a GM MAS right up
NLTS was out long before it was for stock ecu
You can cruise lean w/o messing w/ open loop stuff
You can log multiple auxilary inputs
Piggyback map switching
(Maps can be switched by many parameters, including aux. inputs)
Value clamping
Piggyback on-the-fly adjustments... for when you dont have time to shut down and do ecuflash magic. (or if you can't figure out that live-tuning thing)
etc. etc. There's way way more that I'm not listing...
And maybe this wasn't all entirly appropriate... but I just couldnt hold my tounge any longer... I tune a few lancers a month and I find myself always wishing that the ECU+ came OE. Again, I'm no salesperson and I get no benefit from these being sold, but I have to say I've seen no parallel... I mean this thing is almost infinitely configurable. I ask for a feature... and BAM, Tom has it in the next release. I do believe the PNP is like $400ish shipped though, which I know can be a deterrent, and I bought it before ECUFlash was out, so it was a great investment then. But the way I see it, its still an amazing investment and I'd never sell it to recoup funds. (lol even when I'm selling fenders just to get the car back together <<true story>>)

/end threadjack
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Is that 2byte load or CalcLoad?

Also turning down the gain a little on your EBC (still using that right?) will help that little spike and dip in the load. You can also try leaning out the cells before that to help out the enrichment (if it's indeed hitting 220load then lean out the 3200-3500 200 cels)
Yes still using EBC, Ill try reducing the gain. Dman, good memory Byran
Would it be benneficial to rescale and add a 3200rpm row and maybe a 230load row? Or would i be wasting my time?

I tried changing every cell i was hitting in map tracer, without any luck of leaning out that area. For some reason, i think map tracer is lying to me and im actually hitting cells not being showed by map tracer..

BTW, yes 2byte load and lean spool disabled.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann
Just like I see razor said, try leaning out the cells prior to that.

Depending on where the wideband is located in the exhaust tract can affect your readings too in contrast to the load logged.

For example, if your wideband way down your exhaust pipe, then you will need to remember the readings are slightly lagging to where they actually are on the map.
The bosch sensor is located 4inches north of the DP/TP flange. I understand where you're comming from. thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honki24
Yeah. I have to say though, that I'm getting pretty fed up with the whole Logworks/Mitsulogger/Evoscan thing when I tune others' cars. What a pain in the butt! I've got to log, go open the spreadsheet, change the fields I want to see, freeze the window to keep the headings... blah blah blah blah... Tuning my own car w/ the ECU+ is actually enjoyable again. Plus w/ faster logging you see SO much more than you would have before. I mean I can see my boost fluctuations based on intake valve movements. I can see 1 and 2 knocksums that NEVER show up with mitsulogger.

Obviously there is a price tag. But there are really cool functions that offset that price like:
You can just wire a GM 3 bar right up
You can just wire a GM MAS right up
NLTS was out long before it was for stock ecu
You can cruise lean w/o messing w/ open loop stuff
You can log multiple auxilary inputs
Piggyback map switching
(Maps can be switched by many parameters, including aux. inputs)
Value clamping
Piggyback on-the-fly adjustments... for when you dont have time to shut down and do ecuflash magic. (or if you can't figure out that live-tuning thing)
etc. etc. There's way way more that I'm not listing...
And maybe this wasn't all entirly appropriate... but I just couldnt hold my tounge any longer... I tune a few lancers a month and I find myself always wishing that the ECU+ came OE. Again, I'm no salesperson and I get no benefit from these being sold, but I have to say I've seen no parallel... I mean this thing is almost infinitely configurable. I ask for a feature... and BAM, Tom has it in the next release. I do believe the PNP is like $400ish shipped though, which I know can be a deterrent, and I bought it before ECUFlash was out, so it was a great investment then. But the way I see it, its still an amazing investment and I'd never sell it to recoup funds. (lol even when I'm selling fenders just to get the car back together <<true story>>)

/end threadjack
Yeah thanks for the heads up Honki. Looks like awesome software.