Notices
ECU Flash

SAFC, Advantages to using ECUFlash instead

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I will probably do it...Thanks Chris for all your help and offer, if only I were living near your area I would have you tune my car...but I live in the Philippines.

Yeah, I am not so much for piggyback tuning...even with my M3, without any mods, I had the ECU get custom tuned..simply because all cars come inherently with compromises to be able to work properly with the wide range of environments that the car will be sold throughout the world...having it reflashed will make the car more fit with the existing conditions where I live.

In my older honda, I also went with Hondata, instead of piggyback systems...

About the EVO...I was just thinking about it today...for people who live in CA with 91 octane gas only...were you guys able to advance the timing much more than the stock settings? Cause from where I live, we only have 96 octane gas (different standard from USA measurement) but basically the same as the 91 octane in the US...I guess it seems to me as if I would gain a lot by advancing the timing with ECUFlash, but could it be that with the gas I have here, I would not be able to adjust it that much anyway...?

Well, I guess the piggyback is "good enough" while the ECUFlash is ideal...Since I don't have the cable, and actual guts to tune my car (although I read a lot about it, I still don't want to do it myself yet) It will cost me about $700 for the labor and the tuner and the dyno to tune the car...so its still quite an amount...I can do it myself, but I'd rather pay someone who has done a lot of cars...they'll just be faster (save on dyno time) and I am sure they'll do a better job.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's the beauty of Mellon Tuning...all you need is a laptop, tactrix cable and free logging software mitsulogger or evoscan (25.00).

You can send me logs from your car and your stock ROM...from that I can customize your ROM to fit your mods/boost/octane etc.. for best power and safety. We'll send logs/ROM revisions back and forth until the tune is perfect!

read www.mellontuning.com to learn more. I tune cars all around the world daily.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

what some of us do in the US, is use an e-tuner. We email someone like Chris - a list of all our modifications. he emails back a base tune.

You go out, on the street and take a bunch of logs - and send it back to chris.
Chris makes adjustments (and in his case he explains his adjustments)
You go out on the street and take a bunch of logs - send them back to chris.

this process is repeated as many times as needed to get a tune you are happy with.

p.s. you will need a wideband with logging setup to get the best tune possible.

edit: chris beat me to the punch.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input, I'll consider that... Will visit the website too.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

IMO, the SAFC does not have adequate features to properly tune a turbo charged car.

SAFC - no advantages over ECU FLASH.

ECU FLASH - full control of all parameters.

The stock OEM tune was not tuned for maximum power. It was tuned to achieve a completely different set of goals. Additionally it was not custom tuned for your specific engine's VE. In order to maximize performance of your engine both the fuel and timing tables will need to be tuned.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 24, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

random reason to want a SAFC:

what about when you decide to run meth (or Nos, i guess) and you want to use the SAFC as a map switcher, without having to run a laptop (and map switch).

*shrug*

ive heard of 1 person doing this, but they were a diehard SAFC user...ive never touched one.