Notices
ECU Flash

How do you run 24.5psi on 91 oct???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Bryan I had seen that thread and I decided that I am going to go back to ECU based boost control. I havent had very good luck with the factory BCS and the Green, the Hallman I am using now was touchy till I rebuilt it, but that boost curve is exactly what I would like to be able to do.
The other advantage is you could run 25 psi up top without having to spike the MBC to 29psi like you are doing now.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other positive advantage is:

You can get in touch with Bryan for pointers on how to smooth it all out...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Well I am not really spiking to 29 so much as the turbo isnt keeping up because of VE. I would much rather just being holding 29 all the way to redline though. I am going to put my log up ( I dont like doing it because its not the complete one) for the time being until I get one tomorrow of the car as it is today. My last logging session I had inadvertently unselected save to file as I was just watching roll in knock counts on my knock gauge previous to a full pull.

I have decided the Mr. Shead is correct in his assessment though. Airflow beats timing everytime....well until the turbo is out of its efficiency range anyway.

JB
Attached Files

Last edited by JohnBradley; Feb 27, 2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E

Also very true

I think I can handle it though...hehehe

Last edited by JohnBradley; Feb 27, 2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

well I know I am mr. little irrelevant, however,
with a TBE,MBC, fuelpump, and a Tune on Chevron 91 I am spiking 24-25 and holding 21 on 03 VIII.
Timing IIRC is about 6-7* at spike and coming up to I believe 12*.
sporadic 1 counts, and usually the tuner didnt see any at all.
The only bad thing was I was at 91% IDC at WOT (stock injectors of course).
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:13 AM
EvoM Guru

I have decided the Mr. Shead is correct in his assessment though. Airflow beats timing everytime....well until the turbo is out of its efficiency range anyway.

JB
I would have to agree. I've done a **it-ton of logging on that topic on over 100 ecu-boost Evos now and I've learned alot from it.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Wicked E

heh, I'm not doing anything that hasn't been documented here in this section of the forum. Just have done it on a ton of evos.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:20 AM
EvoM Guru

I am going to put my log up ( I dont like doing it because its not the complete one)
I thought you said you got no knock? That log has 9 counts at 6600 rpm @ 25.55 psi.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

That was the incomplete log. Thats why I said I didnt really wanna post it up since it doesnt really prove my case. I will be going out and getting an actual documented log tomorrow and this time I will leave save log to file checked.

Well I am not really spiking to 29 so much as the turbo isnt keeping up because of VE. I would much rather just being holding 29 all the way to redline though. I am going to put my log up ( I dont like doing it because its not the complete one) for the time being until I get one tomorrow of the car as it is today. My last logging session I had inadvertently unselected save to file as I was just watching roll in knock counts on my knock gauge previous to a full pull.

JB
Best with 28.9 tapering to 25 and timing going from 0* to 9* was 405whp. I dont have an EGT probe, but there was also no knock. I have one log from testing running that level of boost but there was some knock but not till it tapered to almost 23 (that was just a simple miscalculation).

Last edited by JohnBradley; Feb 27, 2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recently I have done some extensive logging and research regarding my car and the boost levels and timing it can run. I started with ecubased boost control (Twin solenoid) and after that went to HKS EVC 6. Here are my findings for my car on 91 octane:

Please keep in mind that these findings are for my car only. (with JDM RS mivec)

1) Using ECUbased boost control, the car could spike to 24psi and hold 19.5 to 7K without any knock. Timing was 2-3 going up to 13-14. This was not possible with ebc.

2) I never knocked during the 3-3.5k range.

3) I could run with 23 psi at 3300rpm tapering to 22 at 6k to 21 psi till 7k without knock. Timing around 3-4 at peak boost to 13-14 at redline. But I found this boost level to be a bit volatile because I would do 3 back to back pulls with 0 knock but then suddenly I would see 6 counts out of no where. So I thought that timing might not be the factor here. So I reduced boost by 0.5 psi across the board and voila! no more knock on multiple back to back pulls.

So, right now with my minimal mods, very poor octane I am running 22.5 psi to 20.5 till redline.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Bryan,

Believe me I know that log looks irresponsible and incorrect, but it has been fixed at this point. That was more to show that high boost on 92 is possible. Like I said I will have what I consider to be an accurate log up tomorrow.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dam im reading this, and just noticed razorlab is bryan lol

hi bryan =] lol yay im happier knowing my car is tuned by someone of "great interest" hehe
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Evo 9's are much much much more tolerant to boost than Evo 8's from my experience. I contribute it to the head design and mivec.

Yours looks like a pretty solid setup. If you want to hold more boost up top, look towards ecu-controlled boost and a upgraded actuator.
It has a lot to do with the head design.

You would probably want bigger cams to make the engine more efficient, too.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
You might be interested in this post (which references the 1st post in the same thread):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...88&postcount=6

Woah, so what that is telling me is that the 3-port, when tuned correctly, will hold boost better and have more at the top end than an MBC?

(Sorry, I have been out of the 3-port thing for awhile, but this might make me jump back in head first..)
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really wish you had EGT comparisons with your testing John, especially since thats the thing people first cry abut when anyone wants to run high boost. Nice to have proof that it IS or ISN'T an issue.

Quick Reply: How do you run 24.5psi on 91 oct???