Notices
ECU Flash

How do you run 24.5psi on 91 oct???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doh didnt notice that, haha ok nevermind.

Originally Posted by codgi
His is an VIII so he has no MIVEC .
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:36 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Bryan I had seen that thread and I decided that I am going to go back to ECU based boost control. I havent had very good luck with the factory BCS and the Green, the Hallman I am using now was touchy till I rebuilt it, but that boost curve is exactly what I would like to be able to do.

One more project to add to the list of things I need to do to my own car

COP,
Bigger Cams,
Meth,
MAFT PRO,
3 Port,
etc.

I apologise for the threadjack, but it seemed relevant to discuss boost vs timing again.
Stop copying me.

If you need any help with the MAFTPRO, from sale to tuning. Let me know.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TTP, there is one detail he didn't copy, the cam settings. Is that still classified?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:18 AM
Account Disabled

Aaron runs Mivec cams.

One thing I wanted to point out is that you would not need the gm 3 port if you used the maftpro with electronic boost control. It would be redundant.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Bryan,

Believe me I know that log looks irresponsible and incorrect, but it has been fixed at this point. That was more to show that high boost on 92 is possible. Like I said I will have what I consider to be an accurate log up tomorrow.
Irresponsible? Far from it. I was just wondering why you where posting that one that had the knock counts. Now that I have slept I did notice your post before. I guess my eyes where too tired last night.

6k area is a tricky point on the 9's with ecu-boost I have found. I break the 6,000 rpm area into 3 rpm points because of that. That might help you as well.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Stop copying me.

If you need any help with the MAFTPRO, from sale to tuning. Let me know.
Thanks Scott. I have a MAFT Pro already that I got from a 1G project from back in the day. I have the upgraded firmware, I just need to decide on whether I go with a 4 bar or 5 bar MAP. I am thinking 4 will be plenty for a long time.

Bryan,

Cool. Yeah I am going to get a log tonight weather willing. It just started sprinkling here so I am not sure if I am going to do another 4th gear pull on the highway or not today. Something about triple digits and rain
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
I really wish you had EGT comparisons with your testing John, especially since thats the thing people first cry abut when anyone wants to run high boost. Nice to have proof that it IS or ISN'T an issue.
I have an EGT gauge with no thermocouple, but I am sure I can get everything all together and at least eyeball it. Not sure if there is anyway to log that or not?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

In the interests of full disclosure, here is the timing map of the 29psi pumpgas run. I have altered the resolution since that log to help give attention to the trouble spots that you can clearly see.

After taking in that thread (if a MOD sees this, bring the Magnus intake thread back cleaned up, cause it contained some very good tech) and thinking about some of what Mr. Shead had been saying it made perfect sense to maximise the area that the engine is actually running in rather than overdoing it as I normally do. My car hasnt seen 340 load except with a pulled wastegate line, so why have it? I dont rev past 8500 (often) so why have the rpm marker?

I dont build boost as fast as I should because of the intercooler and header combo (apparently anyway) coupled with the Green but since I can still make 25psi by 4200 (ordinarily, 4800 in that log)and 28+ by 5100 or so, those were the areas that I started with going in 250 rpm steps. I also halved the distance in the load cells to keep control over interpolation.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Feb 27, 2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Scott. I have a MAFT Pro already that I got from a 1G project from back in the day. I have the upgraded firmware, I just need to decide on whether I go with a 4 bar or 5 bar MAP. I am thinking 4 will be plenty for a long time.

Bryan,

Cool. Yeah I am going to get a log tonight weather willing. It just started sprinkling here so I am not sure if I am going to do another 4th gear pull on the highway or not today. Something about triple digits and rain

if you go out tonight, send me a the log, i am interested to see it. If you want that 5 bar just say the word and i can bring it down this weekend
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Oh...and disclaimer time. Just cause I seem to be able to do it doesnt mean that anyone else can and not cause failure. I wont be held responsible for any damage that may result from attempts made by anyone using that timing map. Remember there is alot of time building up to running that with a stock ECU and also proper supporting mods and tuning.

PLEASE EXERCISE CAUTION WHEN ATTEMPTING THIS...

...if you do attempt it that is.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
JB,

Nice on the rpm rescale. I have found this to be the biggest help in my tuning the stock ECU. Like I stated before, dividing the 6k area has been the biggest advantage.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Nice log JB
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

I don't claim to be any sort of expert but have wondered myself about the increasing boost levels that have been going on. What I have found on my own car is that while the car knocks at 4000 rpms and 25psi it does not knock at 25 psi from 5000 to redline. Basically the stock turbo and the green on pump gas are too efficient down low and not efficient enough up top. The perfect turbo for the evo on pump gas in my opinion would make 20 psi at 4000 and 30 psi at 5500 to redline. I wound up using this logic to go to a bigger turbo, havn't got it yet so it's still a theory.

Anyway if you can get over the boost spike of the smaller turbo at 4,000 rpms by reducing timing to around 0 the turbo will hold more boost at 6500 which is where you develop maximum power. If there was a way to have the green hold 20 psi at 4000 and 25 thereafter it would be ideal. So as far as the increased boost mystery goes I think increasing boost while reducing timing at peak torque doesn't increase your torque as much as it does your horsepower. And I don't have hard data but I did notice running high boost and low timing at max torgue did bring the egt's up, it makes sense since the reduced timing means you are dumping unburnt fuel in order to reduce compression in the cylinder and control knock. Hope my rambling is of some use to this thread.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tephra
Have you tried running more boost?
Oh yes. Right now at 21psi I'm running 0 timing advance at peak load. Any more boost and I really need to be running negative timing, which I understand to be a bad idea.

Last edited by Jim in Tucson; Feb 28, 2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:34 PM
Former Sponsor

What's your afr at peak boost? You could try throwing some more fuel at it to slow down the burn. Is there harm in negative timing, anyone?

Quick Reply: How do you run 24.5psi on 91 oct???