ECU Flash

logged: MBC vs GM 3port ECU-Boost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fastforward1
Brian,

I forgot to ask you on SCE, but can you point me in the rigth direction as far what i need to install this on my IX? Or anybody else that can help too, thanks!
This should help you,

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=276674
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:44 PM

^thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:50 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

The Hallman Pro with the heavy spring and non-ceramic ball is a good MBC. Is that what was used here? If it was the RX version (ceramic ball IIRC), then that's really the wrong MBC to use on this car to begin with. If it was the right Hallman, I'm surprised to see that boost curve as the ones I've had/seen are much flatter than that.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Is this the right solenoid?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yup.

but you can get it from rockauto if you want
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Have a Evo 8 in currently that wanted to swap from a MBC to a GM 3port boost solenoid and use ecu-boost.

Still working on the tune and the boost curve obviously, but here are the differences so far, ecu-boost is solid line, MBC is dotted line:

Ecu-boost holds 2psi more up top (21.6psi vs 19.4psi) Still working on the boost curve, only using 84% duty cycle currently. Also notice Ecu-boost holds approx 2 psi more from 5500 rpm on. Once I get it all dialed in it should show goodness everywhere.

Evo 8 with Evo 9 turbo, cams, tbe, open air filter

Cheers.

I'm not trying to **** on anyone's bonfire, but this seems like a lot of work compared to a simple MBC. The graph would indicate that most likely this car saw an increase in HP, but a decrease in torque.

For someone tracking their car, or even auto-X, I can understand the desire for a flat and consistent boost curve. And I can see that a dyno queen would make more HP on this graph. But, what about the average street car, where torque is king?

I think I'm an average EVO daily driver and I spend most of my time in the 3,500-5,500rpm range, not the 5,500-7,500rpm range. My dream setup would be a 30psi spike tapering to 18.

So, what does ECU boot control really offer over an MBC?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
I'm not trying to **** on anyone's bonfire, but this seems like a lot of work compared to a simple MBC. The graph would indicate that most likely this car saw an increase in HP, but a decrease in torque.
Like stated in the first post, this boost curve is not finished. Yes it will match the boost of the MBC at peak boost. I kind of wish I hadn't posted this boost plot until it was finished now. I simply wanted to show how ecu-boost can hold more boost through the midrange and up top.

Here are some examples of finished ecu-boost curves:

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
For someone tracking their car, or even auto-X, I can understand the desire for a flat and consistent boost curve. And I can see that a dyno queen would make more HP on this graph. But, what about the average street car, where torque is king?
I've seen major gains in the torque and horsepower curve through the midrange with ECU-boost compared to a MBC. Most of the time, ecu-boost will hold more boost through the midrange and above.

Here is a good example, MBC vs ECU-boost:

Other advantages of ECU-boost vs MBC have been explained here before. In a nut shell, the system has error correction so it will do it's best to hit it's target if it's over or under it. Simply put, it will add or decrease boost to hit it's target. Holding boost up top is another advantage. I've seen 10-20whp gains from moving from a MBC to ecu-boost on the same car, with the same mods. Another advantage is 16 points of RPM tuning for the boost. You can basically make any boost curve you want.

I've also seen a GM solenoid spool larger turbos (FPgreen +) quicker.

Here is a comparison between a Evo 9 turbo with stock solenoid using ecu-boost and a FPgreen with a GM solenoid using ecu-boost. Solid line is FPgreen, as you can see you can get a FPgreen to basically spool exactly the same as a stock 9 turbo:

Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Pd1
The Hallman Pro with the heavy spring and non-ceramic ball is a good MBC. Is that what was used here?
Yes.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
ecu boost will also mean you can run my altmap stuff (**TBA) so you can have different boost profiles for different fuels or whatever..
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

great stuff. I will have to think about doing this soon. I have a MBC right now, Of course, I bought it before I got into all this cool stuff. the MBC does it's job but why use an abacus after they created computers?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab

Here is a comparison between a Evo 9 turbo with stock solenoid using ecu-boost and a FPgreen with a GM solenoid using ecu-boost. Solid line is FPgreen, as you can see you can get a FPgreen to basically spool exactly the same as a stock 9 turbo:
Slightly OT, but have you been able to get VIIIs to spool the FP similiar to the stock turbo as well? The green will probably be the last engine mod I do but if it can spin like the stock turbo .
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by codgi
Slightly OT, but have you been able to get VIIIs to spool the FP similiar to the stock turbo as well? The green will probably be the last engine mod I do but if it can spin like the stock turbo .
I've seen 20psi around 3400 in 3rd with FPgreens on Evo 8's. Some do better than others, to be honest, we have had more FPgreens on 9's than 8's for some reason.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:16 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have any real logs, but here's some video of my car with GM BCS on stock 05 VIII turbo w/ alky. Holds 26psi pretty flat up until 6300rpms or so. This was just the beginning of my tweaking with the GM BCS.

Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

This is just to reiterate Brian's argument why ECU-controlled boost is nice and the GM 3-port.

It's possible to do reverse taper - something not possible on manual boost control I believe.

Note this is from an unfinished tune. Also this is using GM 3-port.
Attached Thumbnails logged: MBC vs GM 3port ECU-Boost-021608_boost.jpg  
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roger smith
This is just to reiterate Brian's argument why ECU-controlled boost is nice and the GM 3-port.

It's possible to do reverse taper - something not possible on manual boost control I believe.

Note this is from an unfinished tune. Also this is using GM 3-port.
Ah, Like an intentional and controlled boost creep.