Notices
ECU Flash

On the fly adjustable boost w/ GM3 port?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the fly adjustable boost w/ GM3 port?

Since the Tephra map switch map came out for the ICS evo's i have been waiting patiently for the non-ICS equipped evo patch for the USDM IX 8xxxx15 map to come out.

I have been mulling the idea around my head for a while of a 'manual' electronic adjustable solution for the GM 3-port.

one idea was to use a type of rheostat or adjustable gain switch to adjust the signal going to the solenoid. so you could adjust the boost by turning the knob...(for those people that associate boost w/ turning knobs )

but i also found this (i love this site, btw):
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cgi-bi...ct=1003707477&

anyone have any ideas of making a 'manual' way to adjust the GM 3-port (or i guess, the stock BCS) on the fly?

...i have been thinking about this since ECU boost came out, and people started complaints about not being able to adjust the boost w/o a laptop. Tephra's V5 patch will take care of that, tho
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I built my own electronic boost controller for map switching! Waiting for the non-ICS map switching patch as well!!
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

^lol... and your EBc looks like?????

wanna enlighten everyone as to what you did?

Last edited by SoCalRedLine; Feb 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Problem with adjusting the "signal" going to the GM or the stock solenoid to change the duty cycle is that you would also need to change your load targets as well, which is ecu-based.

Unless you don't run any error correction, which isn't a solution in my opinion.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

deleted.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Problem with adjusting the "signal" going to the GM or the stock solenoid to change the duty cycle is that you would also need to change your load targets as well, which is ecu-based.

Unless you don't run any error correction, which isn't a solution in my opinion.
thanks for the input. I figured it would be something along those lines. The DIY eBC i posted can follow IDC, it might be able to work...
a EBC might be a bit more feasible for those people that want to adjust boost (above what the alt map may have) w/o a laptop

I was just trying to find a way to trump all those ECU boost haters and their MBC's...
Old Mar 1, 2008, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoCalRedLine
Since the Tephra map switch map came out for the ICS evo's i have been waiting patiently for the non-ICS equipped evo patch for the USDM IX 8xxxx15 map to come out.

I have been mulling the idea around my head for a while of a 'manual' electronic adjustable solution for the GM 3-port.

one idea was to use a type of rheostat or adjustable gain switch to adjust the signal going to the solenoid. so you could adjust the boost by turning the knob...(for those people that associate boost w/ turning knobs )

but i also found this (i love this site, btw):
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cgi-bi...ct=1003707477&

anyone have any ideas of making a 'manual' way to adjust the GM 3-port (or i guess, the stock BCS) on the fly?

...i have been thinking about this since ECU boost came out, and people started complaints about not being able to adjust the boost w/o a laptop. Tephra's V5 patch will take care of that, tho
Just wait, probably within a week you'll see it launched if all goes well. Just using a Map Switching Harness will be all you need. No muss, no fuss. :-)
Old Mar 1, 2008, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

^heh, thanks. I saw your harness switch the other day (thanks for posting that stuff, BTW). Its pretty simple. I still have a lot of stuff left over for when i did my Auto locks in the RS. i have a double throw .05mA switch that would be nice for dual map switching
Old Mar 1, 2008, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Well, you only need a single throw, you just wont have anything connected to one end. As long as it connects the wire in one position and disconnects it in the other, you're all set.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

^lol... i was just joking around, the switch is a momentary switch, anyways...

...i was just insinuating that it would be cool if tephra could figure a way to incorporate 2 maps in the 'alt map' patch...