Notices
ECU Flash

SAS Hardware

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
After a nights sleep, 4 cups of coffee, and talking to my research group (aka the fam) it seems I did in fact have a drizzle as far as using the BDEL maps to control the vacuum source. Wont know for a 100% till I try but I dont think its gonna work how I originally thought.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I just had a brainstorm for activating this (or maybe a drizzle).
I just had the same brainstorming, facing my VII and IX in the garage.
The first one is fitted with all the stuff, the second one is not.

I'm still wondering what is the solenoid on the FPR line made for, it's already there on the 7.
I always thought it might be something related to lean spool (as closing this one will keep fuel pressure lower)... maybe this one can be used for a different purpose.
Worth a try.

Looking at the 7 plumping, I also noticed something strange to me : with solenoid open, the SAS valve should only open on vaccum, and closing on manifold pressure.
So that this ALS should not build boost in the manifold...?
Any experience there ?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

the way its supposed to work is when the intake manifold is pressurised then the throttle plate closes when you lift off, the intake manifold goes into vacuum but the other side of the throttle plate and also in the boost pipes is still under pressure this is where the dump valve opens and recirculates the boost,
remember the dump valve needs a vacuum to operate also, so the sas valve opens and dumps the boost down into the exhaust manifold,
it is supposed to operate at the same time as the dump valve and keep the turbo spooling,
Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarryC
the way its supposed to work is when the intake manifold is pressurised then the throttle plate closes when you lift off, the intake manifold goes into vacuum but the other side of the throttle plate and also in the boost pipes is still under pressure this is where the dump valve opens and recirculates the boost,
remember the dump valve needs a vacuum to operate also, so the sas valve opens and dumps the boost down into the exhaust manifold,
it is supposed to operate at the same time as the dump valve and keep the turbo spooling,
So does that mean we need to run a dump valve / bov aswell as the sas for it to work propperly ?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cossie1
So does that mean we need to run a dump valve / bov aswell as the sas for it to work propperly ?

no not necessarily if the settings are correct the sas will kinda act like a dump valve also. except dumping the boost into the exhaust manifold and not to air or recirculating it and it then keeps the turbo spooled,
i think at the same time as the sas opens and dumps the boost the timing is supposed to get retarded and some extra fuel is injected so there is a charge and not just boost going past the turbo and this ignites and hey presto antilag,
I need to do some testing tomorrow but it looks like the sas might be opening but the rest of the process is not happening,
Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

let us know how the testing goes then barry.

I haven't got a bov / dump valve on mine anymore, and as you know at the moment I don't have the sas connected either.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Barry,

So the actual ECU side of it might still be unimportant because we can simulate it with AFR and timing changes and then when the SAS opens it has the extra air as well. If I am reading you correctly?

Last edited by JohnBradley; Mar 16, 2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 03:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Barry,

So the actual ECU side of it might still be unimportant because we can simulate it with AFR and timing changes and then when the SAS opens it has the extra air as well. If I am reading you correctly?
yeah thats what I am looking into kinda,
going to see what happens when I connect the sas directly without the ecu valve,
theoretically it should just act as a smaller dump valve and the dumped boost will spool the turbo along with the retarded timing and extra fuel,
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

One thing I am wondering is if the ECU knows to ignore any knock this would generate in the factory subroutines. Since we are intending to bypass them, there is a possibility of some noise getting through. Not that it matters cause lower timing helps us in the long run, but a thought I had earlier today.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryC
no not necessarily if the settings are correct the sas will kinda act like a dump valve also. except dumping the boost into the exhaust manifold and not to air or recirculating it and it then keeps the turbo spooled,
i think at the same time as the sas opens and dumps the boost the timing is supposed to get retarded and some extra fuel is injected so there is a charge and not just boost going past the turbo and this ignites and hey presto antilag,
I need to do some testing tomorrow but it looks like the sas might be opening but the rest of the process is not happening,
Wouldn't this require a speed density setup as you are venting metered air, just like a VTA BOV would? Is this maybe why the JDM cars have a MAP sensor?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Wouldn't this require a speed density setup as you are venting metered air, just like a VTA BOV would? Is this maybe why the JDM cars have a MAP sensor?
And conversely wouldn't this give you the additional fuel you are looking for; allowing you to almost accidently cause the effect people are scrambling to enable in the rom's lost and found bin?

Could being a flaming ricer be a solution to making antilag work? Next on evom news at 11...

Honestly I have a problem with coasting fuel cut in my car that almost feels like ALS. And I think it directly correlates to the VTA bov.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
Only the JDM IXs have the MAP sensor. JDM 8 MRs and earlier just have the MAF.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

I've been reading this and trying to follow here. I'm wondering if the vacuum canister and solenoid work similiar to the one on 94-01 integra gsr's who use vaccum to open secondary intake manifold butterflies. Just wondering if you
could source parts from them cause you could find them everywhere.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

silex-
I will have an extra BCS in a couple days here if you need another one to borrow.

Also, I had a concern about brake booster. How would this affect that? (someone mentioned it in another thread)
Old Mar 18, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Youngsyr, I am actually pretty taxed with a few projects lately. SoCalRedLine expressed interest to test this out as well. If he agrees, I would like him to take my spot to test out the hardware. In the mean time, I will keep chugging away on the software and provide support to both SoCalRedLine and JohnBradley on that side of things.

Quick Reply: SAS Hardware