Notices
ECU Flash

Getting 5+ knock counts ONLY on hard shifts??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting 5+ knock counts ONLY on hard shifts??

I have a Exedy twin plate clutch and when I shift hard into the next gear the car picks up a 5-8 knock count.. But ONLY when I shift hard when racing... I can do a pull in 4th gear from 2500-8k and it doesn't get any knock.. or shift the car easy and its fine. Same with 3rd gear or any of the other gears for that matter.. This is ONLY when I shift the car hard during a run or race or just beating on it Have any of you had this problem? OR do you know how to fix this issue?? I know there is a knock sensor filter option on ECU flash which is what I'm using to tune. I just have no idea how to work that function and don't want to mess anything up. I know the car is tuned conservatively with LOW 11s A/F and fairly low timing as well. So the tune isn't the issue its the hard shifting. There has to be a way to get rid of this.... Any help would be greatly appreciated! I cant run the car with it doing this. I would hate to lose a race over false knock counts!! TIA.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you power shifting?..or using NLTS mod?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

The only ECU mod I am using that u gave me is the CEL light for knock and have it set for a 5 count. "thanks for the ROM BTW!! " This only happens when i shift hard, if i shift easy it doesnt do it. Its SOOO frustrating as its killing me if i go to run the car against someone else!! I cant be losing races because of false knock...
Old Mar 16, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

ha...oh yea, that was me ...

i used to knock when switchin with NLTS, but that was because i was shifting slow trying to see if it worked, once i shifted fast, there was no knock....

if i sent you the rom chances are the NLTS is enabled.....maybe you should disable that and see what happens if you normally power shift without it....or do you completely let off gas.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

I let off the throttle. I dont nolift it. But I shift it just as fast as if i were to no lift and it hits HARD. The shock of the hit is what seems to do it.. As if I shift quick but easy it doesnt do it.. or shift normal at 7800-8k and go into the next gear its fine. But there is no shifting slow or easy when racing. Unless u want to get beat!

Chris has some file that he is going to send me so i can change all the features of the ROM. Right now I cant change anything as I dont have this file that I need. And I honestly dont understand anything about this file what it is etc lol. I just know Chris said he had it and is going to send it to me.

BTW what is NLTS??? No Lift Throttle Shift??

Last edited by Colt4g63; Mar 16, 2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Those are real knocks not false!.

It happens to almost any cars if you do the fast shifting with a shock. I think posted about this like a year ago. and I can't find my thread.

I thought those were false knock counts but As I tested more about that, It turned out to be true knock counts. It spikes to as high as 12 counts!

Just train yourself to drive with more rhythm. abrupt changes like free reving and hard shifting always results in knock. And our stock ECU won't forgive those driver errors by using knock sums.

I think getting standalone will help you if you still want to do hard shifting.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Theres got to be a way to stop it from doin it. The car is rich when it goes into the next gear and timing is low. I really cant imagine it being true knock.... I dunno why a fast shift alone would cause real detonation.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

The knock sensor might just be picking up harmonics from the transmission making it belive there is knock when there really isnt any. If your a/f is in good shape I cant see why it wouldnt be an issue.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

I dont believe its actual knock either. But the question is, is how do i make this stop?? Motor mount insert for the front?? Something to do with a ECU setting?? Maybe adjust the knock sensor to not be so sensitive??
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
When exactly is the knock happening? Is this lift off knock or as soon as the clutch is re-engaged and you are accelerating? I have seen shift knock (because of bushings) spike to 24 for exactly one sample then disappear.

When is more important than how much sometimes.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

when you do the rough shifting( the one obvious example is launching off the line), your rpm will actually drop down instead of going up for very short period of the time. this creates tremondous amount of load. your pistons doesn't accelerate. This brief moment is perfect recipe for the disaster.

Also, At this moment, MAF can't pick up this quick change. Or even worse, turbulance is created due to the abrupt change in the flow. This can also contribute to more konck counts.

Try free rev your engine few times and see the knock counts. you will be puzzled again if you don't accept that these knocks are true. Stock knock sensors are really good. If it registers knock, I would belive it 99% of the time.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

It only does it under a hard shift to 3rd or 4th gear. If i shift easy it doesnt get knock counts. The knock happens as soon as i hit the next gear. Thats when my CEL comes on that i have set to come on at 5 counts or more. The knock tapers off as I go through the rest of the gear....
Old Mar 18, 2008, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone else experience this and have a fix for it? Motor mounts maybe help this some?? I am on stock mounts ATM but have a front insert on its way.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by taenaive

Try free rev your engine few times and see the knock counts. you will be puzzled again if you don't accept that these knocks are true. Stock knock sensors are really good. If it registers knock, I would belive it 99% of the time.
Interesting thing about the free revving... I have seen cars hit up to 14 knock counts just free revving from idle. On the same car, if I slowly free-rev it up to past 3k, then stab the throttle quick in free rev, no knock counts.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

I hit gears very hard from habit when racing. Years of an ailing DSM transmission and fearing a "half in" situation and resultant gear-splosion. I had shift/knock issues on the stock turbo and it was immediate as the throttle was reapplied. When I dumped the dyno flash that was on the car and started from scratch... Most of the knock the car experienced / went away.

By further smoothing out the A/F map and doing the ES bushings to stop the rear end from slamming around. I now have none.

Quick Reply: Getting 5+ knock counts ONLY on hard shifts??