Notices
ECU Flash

how-to: Log AFR from the LC-1 w/o a serial cable

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tnt1106
would that be the same as x/254*10+10 ? this is what i changed it to and seems to read close if not 100% right on.
Yes, actually just change your 254 to 255 and that it what I have posted above. That is why I stated if 5V=255 for you setup.

It looks like you are all set.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:24 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
So no one has mentioned this yet as far as I see, but is there any reason to actually tear into the ecu wiring harness? I just hooked up my LC-1 last night and decided to use the plug from the stock rear o2 sensor. I just cut off the wiring harness about 3.5" back from the plug.

I hooked a resister between the two black wires to eliminate the heater CEL.

Then I hooked the brown wire from the LC-1 to the blue wire on the plug. Honestly this was a guess, blue or white, which leads to the ECU? I figured I'd try one and see if it worked, then try the other if it didn't work. I did not look at the ecu harness and see if the lead to the rear o2 input was blue, as it was a bit late and it seemed to work, so I thought I'd just run with it. Can anyone confirm this?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
So no one has mentioned this yet as far as I see, but is there any reason to actually tear into the ecu wiring harness? I just hooked up my LC-1 last night and decided to use the plug from the stock rear o2 sensor. I just cut off the wiring harness about 3.5" back from the plug.

I hooked a resister between the two black wires to eliminate the heater CEL.

Then I hooked the brown wire from the LC-1 to the blue wire on the plug. Honestly this was a guess, blue or white, which leads to the ECU? I figured I'd try one and see if it worked, then try the other if it didn't work. I did not look at the ecu harness and see if the lead to the rear o2 input was blue, as it was a bit late and it seemed to work, so I thought I'd just run with it. Can anyone confirm this?
Wow, kinda just going for it, eh? Its easier to buy an ECU pin, solder it to the brown wire, and then pull the rear O2 wire from the ECU plug than it is to cut the harness wire and then solder the LC-1 brown wire to the leftover bit of OEM wire. I never remember which color wire is what. Best to look at my pin-out diagram.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:48 AM
EvoM Moderator

The way I have it, the LC-1 control module stays under the seat (I'm thinking?) and then there is no wiring going into the ecu area at all, since I'm grabbing power and ground from under the shifter console (cig lighter and chassis). So I'd have to majorly extend the brown wire to run it all the way to the ecu. For me, this seems easier because I have all of my aquamist stuff wired in already, this way it's isolated for troubleshooting issues, and I don't cause other issues while installing this

Do you have a diagram that includes wire color mrfred? I'll just go look on my car and see sometime tonight, but looks to me that the BLUE wire is the one to use. I have very accurate (i.e. what I'd expect) numbers coming into evo scan
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I have an NGK-AGX Wide band which also comes with 2 extra wires in its harness for 0-5v output. I was thinking they needed to be pinned into a serial connector and actually picked one up but wasnt sure I could make it work.

So Can I make it work by pinning them directly to the ECU and log it through EVOSCAN. Willing to pay greatly for help in doing so in the NE
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

Just search through this thread, the info is already here!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Ordered the pins

Im guessing for EVOSCAN 2.3 Ill have to update the Data.XML with the same

Add the following entry to your EvoScan (2.1) "Data.xml" file:

<DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Wideband AFR" LogReference="WideBand" RequestID="12" Eval="0.05859*x+7.35" Unit="AFR" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="22" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="22" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="false" />

Just with the different scaling formula correct
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

OK I put the XML posted above data into EVOSCAN v2.4. However when I go into EVOSCAN I have no button to check for Wideband AFR

The external wideband ARF box is there that came in the origional XML but not the text MFRED said to enter

Help I want to get this thing logging
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
The entry needs to go into the correct section of the Data.xml file. Look in the Data.xml file for the wideband entry that's included. Add the new entry above or below it. Be sure to save the file and then relaunch EvoScan.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
The entry needs to go into the correct section of the Data.xml file. Look in the Data.xml file for the wideband entry that's included. Add the new entry above or below it. Be sure to save the file and then relaunch EvoScan.
Fixed thanks MRFRED. I put it at the bottom below the last <DataListItem DataLog etc...

I moved it to the upper portion and there it is.
Thanks again
Old Jul 12, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

NGK Logging AFR's now FTW. Id like to thank MRFRED, Bnice01, Jack of all trades, for help with the NGK logging and the rest of you innovators for finding these kick *** ECU mods all of your guys work is soooo kick *** and makes owning an EVO friggin awesome

So Cheers guys you deserve it
Old Jul 27, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLX wideband wired up & logging through the ECU

nice job!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Question for wideband O2 experts

Hi,

I was looking at products on Dynotunes website.

They have a heat sink bushing to protect wideband O2 sensors from excessive heat and they had a copy of the LC-1 installation instructions that showed the copper heat sink that could be fabricated.

My question is:

If both of the above fixes were done, would a wideband O2 sensor live in the stock housing location?

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=158

Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks

Mitsuatb
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would assume that the heatsink would heatsoak rather quickly and become useless, if not more of a hinderance at that point. If it absorbs the heat and then you decel (which cools the exhaust flow) it'd take longer to cool the sensor since its wrapped in a heated blanket at that point. Just my 2 cents.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I don't see much wrong with your logic.

There are a couple of things that might allow it to work.

1) The Heat sink bushing has turned fins, this will allow some cooling and reduce the heat path area.

3) Sensor is further from the direct heat.

2) The drilled holes in the nose of the heat sink bushing will reduce contact of the sensor to the high speed flow of the exhaust, so the tip of the sensor should heat less.

Heatsoak is possible, I don't know what will win, as long as the "Peak Temps" are held down that might be good enough.

Still not sure, spend $90.00 and I will get to find out.

Mitsuatb

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
I would assume that the heatsink would heatsoak rather quickly and become useless, if not more of a hinderance at that point. If it absorbs the heat and then you decel (which cools the exhaust flow) it'd take longer to cool the sensor since its wrapped in a heated blanket at that point. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: how-to: Log AFR from the LC-1 w/o a serial cable