Notices
ECU Flash

Screenshot from working DMA live map/log + Tephra V5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Fixed! I now piggyback my copy from ROM to RAM off the routine that resets the fuel trims. This works after reflash/ECU unplug/battery disconnect, but the RAM map contents are preserved on key off.

A compare or a read doesn't result in this kind of reset though, so we should copy the maps from ROM to RAM manually if this has occurred.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well done
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Man Dr Banks!

And Dave too!
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

John, you wrote at openecu forum that you use serial 0 for DMA.
But I have thought that our ECU's use serial 2 for communication. Can you explain this?
Tomorrow while commuting I will read that DMA stuff.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

It uses serial 0 for OBD/MUT. I use DMA channel 3 to run it because the ECU does not do anything with this channel and it also allows indirection - so we can log our own "MUT tables".

I return from vacation today and will make more progress soon - to release this with all the source.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

LOL. Now I understand why I have so much problems to understand that MUT communication during dissasemble.

I have read that dissasemble thread on Activematrix, where somewhere serial 2 is named as the communication port.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Some instructions I knocked up on the Blackberry on the plane...

This patch allows:
Very fast customized logging
Editing of alt maps in realtime even with engine running

In detail:
Logging up to 40 times faster than MUT 6250 items per second at 62500 baud in large blocks
Logging of any address or addresses without reflashing
Tephra alt maps in ram, copied from rom when ecu reflashed or cold reset
Write and verify this ram from hex or bin file saved by ecuflash

Logging:
In the live map pc app you can set the baud rate 15625 default for mut compatibility, change logging directory, edit the logging table, edit the address of the logging table, start/stop logging.

Editing:
Select the ecuflash hex or bin you are going to work with. Make your changes in ecuflash to this file, shortcut ctrl-s to save. Switch to live map pc app and if not already logging hit start then after a few seconds hit write. Live map will then read the alt maps from the ecuflash file you previously selected and just edited and saved, and will write this to the ecu's ram, verifying if the box is ticked and then displaying the result. If an error is shown you must consider the ecu alt map contents invalid. Your map changes can be tested immediately if alt maps are selected. It is best to try simple and safe changes at first such as a reduction in boost or a change to afr in the low load areas which can be seen by logging afrmap when on over-run. Always confirm safety in terms of knock and afr. You should not immediately add timing to the maps with the engine on full throttle on the highway for example!

Addresses:
The defaults are stored in an xml file. If you change them you can save them. There are addresses for logging to tell the application where your logging table is in the ecu. By default this points to the mut table and logs the first 64 (hex 40) items. The number of rows in the table sets the number of items to log. Advanced users may construct a new mut table in rom or ram as they please. In this case the table data in the ecu and live map pc app will of course need to match. The scaling allows a simple multiply and add for linear logging items.

There are also addresses which show the position in rom and ram of the block that contains the alt maps we wish to copy as well as their length. By default on the evo 9 this is set to a 2k block that is free.

Notes:
You cannot have two applications logging at the same time. If you wish to use another logger after writing your changes to the alt maps you will have to stop the live map logging first. The same applies when you want to write changes to the ecu and you have been logging with another app - you have to stop it logging first, then start live map logging before writing to the ecu. I will be adding some basic map and knock vs rpm graphing to the app as these are what I want to see whilst mapping. I will work with the writers of other loggers to allow live features to be added to their loggers if they wish. Full source of my live map app is available - please improve it and post your updates.