Notices
ECU Flash

Patch how-to: manifold air temperature logging

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was able to get everything working and logging correctly. Oddly though I continued to get a P0443 (Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control). I disabled it though through the Periphery tables but, was curious as to why the DLC would be activated after the patch but, not before. Any thoughts?

Edit: By the way thanks for the help on this
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Last Autronic IAT sensor I installed was an 1/8" NPT plug. MUCH smaller then the GM sensor. Also used a much smaller element, giving it a lower thermal mass allowing it to react quicker to temperature changes. It is a better sensor IMO then the GM open element sensor.

Originally Posted by mrfred
I hate to say it, but making this sensor compatible would be at the very bottom of my list, probably forever. What are the thread dimensions of the Autronic sensor?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Last Autronic IAT sensor I installed was an 1/8" NPT plug. MUCH smaller then the GM sensor. Also used a much smaller element, giving it a lower thermal mass allowing it to react quicker to temperature changes. It is a better sensor IMO then the GM open element sensor.
I was thinking about SD yesterday and was wondering how fast the GM IAT sensor would react. Good info on the Autronic. I may have to order one to check it out.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can someone post a link on where to get the autronic one?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by evo8dad
I was able to get everything working and logging correctly. Oddly though I continued to get a P0443 (Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control). I disabled it though through the Periphery tables but, was curious as to why the DLC would be activated after the patch but, not before. Any thoughts?

Edit: By the way thanks for the help on this
Is the customer's car from last night?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Is the customer's car from last night?
Yes it is. I sent him on his way after disabling the code via Peripheries, which has worked but, I was curious to know if there is something I may have carried over wrong like I did with the temp scaling or if this is something new you haven't encountered yet.

He is coming back this Saturday to finish the tune as well as to get some good IC data via the IAT.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

I'll double check al the data entry in the .xml file for the patch to make sure I didn't screw anything up.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
can someone post a link on where to get the autronic one?
I'm not sure if you can order one from Autronic or an Autronic dealer. They are kind of weird about product support and don't like people without an Autronic unit using their pieces.

I should clarify though. The Autronic sensor I installed looked like something they are building in house. It looks to be an element that they potted into an 1/8" NPT plug. It's got a cheap connector (non-weather-tite) on the end of two wires that have been heat shrinked onto the fitting. Pretty ghetto really compared to the GM sensor. This was a few years back and they could be using something different now though.

I just think it's a better sensor becuase it uses a smaller, faster reacting element and is a smaller fitting that's easier to tuck out of view for a cleaner install.

The GM sensor has been proven to work just fine for most of the EVO guys using the AEM and I would bet is a more reliable sensor then the Autronic sensor.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:24 AM
EvoM Guru

I did a little looking and both SDEFI and Megasquirt use the GM IAT sensor as their standard IAT sensor. The Megasquire FAQ mentions that in a few instances, they have seen the bulb on the GM IAT sensor break off when mounted in an intake manifold due to high vibration. Kinda scary.

There are a few other sensors that I came across:

Bosch "039" air temp sensor:
http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/pdf/.../NTC_M12-L.pdf

Magneti Marelli "ATS04" air temp sensor
http://motorsport.magnetimarelli.com...S04_rev5.0.pdf

Both are NTC just like the GM IAT sensor. MM claims the ATS04 sensor is fast, but the bulb on the ATS04 sensor does not appear to be substantially than the bulb on the GM IAT sensor.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I did a little looking and both SDEFI and Megasquirt use the GM IAT sensor as their standard IAT sensor. The Megasquire FAQ mentions that in a few instances, they have seen the bulb on the GM IAT sensor break off when mounted in an intake manifold due to high vibration. Kinda scary.

There are a few other sensors that I came across:

Bosch "039" air temp sensor:
http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/pdf/.../NTC_M12-L.pdf

Magneti Marelli "ATS04" air temp sensor
http://motorsport.magnetimarelli.com...S04_rev5.0.pdf

Both are NTC just like the GM IAT sensor. MM claims the ATS04 sensor is fast, but the bulb on the ATS04 sensor does not appear to be substantially than the bulb on the GM IAT sensor.
Mrfred, what is the sensor that the JDM evos use in the OEM bung? I assume there is a PN for it if it is an OEM part.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Mrfred, what is the sensor that the JDM evos use in the OEM bung? I assume there is a PN for it if it is an OEM part.
Good point. I forgot about that MAT sensor. I could find out the PN, but it would be more interesting if someone could first post a picture of the sensor tip.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I cant find a pic anywhere. Does anyone know if the Evo X has an MAT sensor? I have yet to get a good look at the X intake manifold in general. I am hoping someone can get their hands on a JDM MAT sensor or at least a pic of it.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep up the good work.

Last edited by cpoku; Jan 13, 2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Due to no response
Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW, the FSM for the X has 2 IAT sensors. 1 intergrated into the MAF and a second that looks like it is in the intake manifold, but it's difficult to tell in the drawing.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
FWIW, the FSM for the X has 2 IAT sensors. 1 intergrated into the MAF and a second that looks like it is in the intake manifold, but it's difficult to tell in the drawing.
The JDM Evo IX has the same.w2

Quick Reply: Patch how-to: manifold air temperature logging