Notices
ECU Flash

what should my timing advance be?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what should my timing advance be?

im logging using a combination of evoscan and mitsulogger, i have had my car tuned before but im now looking to tune my own car, one thing i dont understand how to read or its significance is timing advance would should it be optimaly wether for power or safety?? this is just one thing i havnt really been able to read up on so any and all help would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

if your going to be tuning it yourself matey then YOU really do need to read LOTS before messing.

not just a case of set it to 'x' and you'll have best power and safety.

good luck
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sponners
if your going to be tuning it yourself matey then YOU really do need to read LOTS before messing.

not just a case of set it to 'x' and you'll have best power and safety.

good luck

+1 I have read 50+ hours or so, and still dont have a complete grasp on it.
Read all of the threads that are stickied! there is a link to all valuable threads on the top of the page in the ecuflash forum.

But a starting point as far as timing advance... @ peak try between 2-4*, and gradually advance as you go up in the rpm band...
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

As stated above, timing can be very finicky. it varies from car to car, even with the same set-ups. one car might be running more boost, leaner AFR, less timing, while another car might have less boost, but alittle little more timing.

If you really want to tune it yourself, i would make sure your AFR is spot on where you want it, you boost is appropriate for the octane you are using, then adjust.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

ok guys your mis interpretting me, i understand how to tune timing for a good afr as i have done this i just wanted to know what exactly am i looking at in evoscan when it says timing advance 6*, is it saying the ecu advanced my timing from what i had set or what?

Last edited by Chabada15; Apr 29, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chabada15
ok guys your mis interpretting me, i understand how to tune timing for a good afr as i have done this i just wanted to know what exactly am i looking at in evoscan when it says timing advance 6*, is it saying the ecu advanced my timing from what i had set or what?
If it reads say 6* @ 4500 rpm, that is what your tune is set at! Not what its retarding or advancing.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

o0o0o0o i never looked at the correlation i just started using evoscan, ive been using mitsulogger and basically ive been changing timing and fuel based on AFR and knock so when i saw timing advance i assumed that the ecu was changing it because i has set it wrong or something, my mistake guys thanks for clearing that up for me
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good info! Can I ask similar question with example?
Assume my timing at load 160, 180 and 200 (at 4000rpm) logged with Evoscan is 16*, 14* and 10* while in my rom is 15*, 10* and 10* (same load+rpm), can I assume that ecu retard my timing per my rom?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just use whatever value makes the most torque without detonation for whatever octane, afr, or boost desired.

If using substandard fuel (i.e. 91 oct), it becomes a challenge beyond my knowledge, but others have mastered it. Just do a search, tons of good threads available on this
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chabada15
im logging using a combination of evoscan and mitsulogger, i have had my car tuned before but im now looking to tune my own car, one thing i dont understand how to read or its significance is timing advance would should it be optimaly wether for power or safety?? this is just one thing i havnt really been able to read up on so any and all help would be much appreciated.

Ignition timing is expressed in degrees before top dead center BTDC. Advancing ignition timing causes the spark plugs to fire earlier, retarding causes the spark plugs to fire later. The goal is to ignite the air fuel mixture at the perfect time so that maximum leverage is exerted upon the crankshaft.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm

Top dead center refers to the position of the piston. The piston is at its highest point when at top dead center. The crankshaft angle is 0 degrees and the crank/connecting rod angle is 180 degrees. Imagine a fully up stretched arm with your elbow being the crank/connecting rod pin and your fist being the piston.

There are 360 degrees in one rotation of the crankshaft. When you change the timing from 10 degrees BTDC to 14 degrees BTDC you actually move the point where the spark is fired from 350 degrees of rotation to 346 degrees of rotation of the crank. Hence you are creating the combustion event earlier.

When the ECU senses that the crank is in the correct position, signal is applied to the coil and it fires off to the spark plug. The spark ignites the air and fuel mixture. The ignition event starts at the spark plug and the flame fronts travels up to the top of the chamber, out to the sides of the chamber and down to the top of the piston. While it's doing this the crank is rotating. When the flame front reaches the top of the piston it pushes it down, which if it has the proper leverage on the crank, transfers rotational torque to the crankshaft. If you create the event to early the combustion event will not be converted into rotational movement because the rod has no leverage on the crank. If you start the event to late the flame front chases the piston down the bore.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Apr 29, 2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor

If youre looking to learn the basics, i can tune the car and explain what im doing map by map so you understand the basics of whats going on and why.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like more info.

Cheers!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sub7
Good info! Can I ask similar question with example?
Assume my timing at load 160, 180 and 200 (at 4000rpm) logged with Evoscan is 16*, 14* and 10* while in my rom is 15*, 10* and 10* (same load+rpm), can I assume that ecu retard my timing per my rom?
If I understand you completely, if you had the exact load and rpm logged at the exact moment, the ecu should read what is on the map. However, the process of running an engine is a moving target, so, 1, you may not be seeing the exact moment or load or rpm that the ecu is using, 2 the ecu is making a judgement call as to where the engine will be an instant ahead in time. iow it is aiming at a moving target. If it is making a call over a large timing range the numbers can be skewed by the timing upstream.

If you are not seeing any knock you should be able to see logged and mapped timing equal each other when all the stars are aligned.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You got it right! I would start increasing my map timing if the logged number is higher (eg: if map is 10* while logged is 14*, I'll increase map to 14*), then smoothen the transition until I see knock and start retard if I detect knock.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is the answer 7*?

Quick Reply: what should my timing advance be?