Notices
ECU Flash

no breather?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks! Much better explanation than what I was trying to say. Looks like both I and l2r99gst were right about parts of it.
Old May 9, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
No, you are wrong again.

The air comes OUT of the vent on the front right of the valve cover and goes INTO the turbo intake pipe after the MAF. It is very simple to see this - take off the rubber hose and put your finger up to the nipple sticking out the valve cover. You can feal the pulses of air blowing out.

Research:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=200793
You really aren't grasping this concept. Even in your link that you posted, it states exactly what I have been trying to tell you.

From post #1:
In the stock configuration fresh filtered air enters the crank case through the vent connection and exits through the PCV valve into the intake manifold. This maintains a negative pressure in the crank case and carrys out moisture and any blowby gases thus preventing corrosion and sludge buildup in the crank case.
The air flow is reversed from what you are saying. I am not wrong, but if you want to argue, then feel free to misunderstand.

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Looks like both I and l2r99gst were right about parts of it.
Um....no. I was right about everything that I was explaining and you were saying that I was wrong. You may have been thinking about boost situations where the PCV system isn't working, but this whole thread was about fuel trims and how the PCV system with no breather hose can affect fuel trims while the PCV system is active, under vaccum.

I don't think we can both be right. Do you just want to agree to disagree here and stop saying that I am wrong, so someone else who finds this thread won't be confused? I like the keep facts to facts instead of misinformed opinions.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; May 9, 2008 at 06:35 AM.
Old May 9, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
From post #1:In the stock configuration fresh filtered air enters the crank case through the vent connection and exits through the PCV valve into the intake manifold. This maintains a negative pressure in the crank case and carrys out moisture and any blowby gases thus preventing corrosion and sludge buildup in the crank case.

The air flow is reversed from what you are saying. I am not wrong, but if you want to argue, then feel free to misunderstand.
You are wrong and he is right here L2r99gst, sorry. Under vacuum, air does in fact ENTER the valve cover from the filtered air intake pipe and fresh air is brought into the crankcase. Which is in turn sucked into the intake manifold via the PCV valve to reburn the exhaust gases which slipped into the crankcase. The idea is to remove the exhaust gases to be reburnt and to allow fresh air into the crankcase to keep the oil from contamination from the gases, which will break down the oil's properties and become unsafe.
Old May 9, 2008, 06:55 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What eric is saying is that when the breather hose is disconnected from the pre-turbo inlet tract, it is pulling in unmetered air during vacuum. When it is connected to the preturbo inlet, then it is pulling in metered air during vacuum. Just using a filter on the valve cover breather will cause a small change in fuel trims due to the unmetered air that is coming in at vacuum.
Old May 9, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
You are wrong and he is right here L2r99gst, sorry. Under vacuum, air does in fact ENTER the valve cover from the filtered air intake pipe and fresh air is brought into the crankcase.
This is EXACTLY what I have been saying over and over. Is anyone actually reading my posts. Re-read my post #11 again. I even labeled the steps for this. How much more straight-forward can I be?

I quoted something for EVOlutionary's link that I agree with and to show him that it is even in his link. Evolutionary was the one who thinking about the flow in the opposite direction.

mixmastermatt - thanks for having some reading comprehension. I am going nuts here.

Last edited by l2r99gst; May 9, 2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old May 9, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is EXACTLY what I have been saying over and over. Is anyone actually reading my posts. Re-read my post #11 again. I even labeled the steps for this. How much more straight-forward can I be?

I quoted something for EVOlutionary's link that I agree with and to show him that it is even in his link. Evolutionary was the one who thinking about the flow in the opposite direction.

mixmastermatt - thanks for having some reading comprehension. I am going nuts here.
You do make a good point. I think some people are misreading your steps.
Old May 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmmm so this is what my thread has turned into? I just needed to know what affected fuel trims. hahha
Old May 9, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
Hmmmm so this is what my thread has turned into? I just needed to know what affected fuel trims. hahha
Yeah, this happens from time to time,lol. And the way mixmastermatt summed up the point you were trying to make l2r99gst made everything make much more sense. The thread turned into a giant game of 'telephone' and each post slowly lost some info as it went along,lol.
Old May 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, this happens from time to time,lol. And the way mixmastermatt summed up the point you were trying to make l2r99gst made everything make much more sense. The thread turned into a giant game of 'telephone' and each post slowly lost some info as it went along,lol.
I agree. It's hard to get points across on the internet and make sure words come out right and then make sure everyone is reading everything right.

No bid deal. We are all friends.

Eric
Old May 9, 2008, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
l2r99gst,

so let me get this straight, there is air in the system?

Old May 9, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

I had similar idling issues initially with the Buschur hard intake. I drill and tapped in a barbed hose fitting and ran it back to the valve cover. After that the problem was solved.
Old May 9, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with you that the hardpipe screw with the MAF readings, but no breather hose fitted can screw with the trims much more than you think as well.

It matters how much vacuum you are pulling at idle. If you are pulling a good amount of vacuum at idle or cruise, the air enters the breather, through the valve cover, through the PCV valve, into the IM. This air this way is never counted by the MAF.
Eric
This IS correct.

And so is this.

Right.

Under vacuum, air is sucked out of the crankcase from the PCV valve into the intake manifold and and the unburned exhaust gases are redistributed into the combustion chamber, all while drawing fresh air into the crankcase from the filtered air intake track since the vacuum in the intake manifold is far greater than the vacuum in the air intake piping.

Under boost, the PCV closes and any pressurized blow-by exhaust gases in the crankcase escape into the air intake piping which is aided by the large vacuum created by the high volume of air entering the turbo.

Fight nice children. Most of you are right but - its all getting lost in translation.
Old May 11, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL How interesting it is to see different peoples comprehension. Let us all just step back and re-read the thread from the start! LOL Either way I now have a better understanding of the PCV and intake system and how they interact. Thanks guys, I have gleaned much good information from this thread to include how some of us react to criticism (sp?) Just go ahead and insult me, I'm not in anger management for nothing!

Josh
Old May 11, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pegasus
I had similar idling issues initially with the Buschur hard intake. I drill and tapped in a barbed hose fitting and ran it back to the valve cover. After that the problem was solved.
Thanks. I guess I will try that today!