Notices
ECU Flash

About to File for Divorce from the Factory ECU . . .

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ted,

Have you checked the integrity of the MAF lately? Is the screen secure still?

I think the biggest issue with running larger turbos on the stock ECU really isn't the stock ECU, but the stock MAF. The position of the MAF pre-turbo just lends itself to a bunch of problems when upgrading to a turbo with vastly different flow characteristics.

I remember years ago when I upgraded to one of the first dual BB garret turbos on my DSM. It was the AGP L2R, which was basically a GT3076-12 with a small .48 hotside to make it spool super quick. Anyway, I remember right after installing that turbo, I would get the RPM dip and stalling at idle, especially when clutching in to come to a stop. I used DSMLink, which used the stock ECU, but had a lot of new code/hacks, etc, in similar ways that ECUFlash is being developed now.

Through several logs and several posts of others on the DSMLink boards, it was found that the airflow of the larger turbos, especially the BB turbos that kept spinning longer after releasing the throttle, messed with the airflow readings through the MAF. The DSMLink creators were going to make a MAF clamp of some sort to fix this so that at idle or closing throttle from a cruise, a certain MAF Hz would be maintained. I don't know if anything was ever developed since I then bought an Evo and came to these boards.

To make a long story short, I replaced my stock MAF with a GM MAF in blow-through (with the MAFT) and that issue was eliminated completely.

So, my moral of the story is to simply hang in there. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with the stock ECU. There may be other issues that you need to look into. There may be more patches or settings that you can change to help the stock MAF in situations like this. It all depends on what your criteria are (emissions, time, cost, etc), but in my opinion, I think the stock ECU is a great alternative to the standalones, getting better every day.

Eric

Last edited by l2r99gst; May 23, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ted, I blame your problems on your stock frame turbo.

Old May 23, 2008, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
just in case Ted misses my last post:

Post up the XML for your individual MUT requests... ASAP!
Old May 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
Ted before you do any more.

Please post the XML for the individual MUT cells.

I think you have overwritten REAL code which explains why the car is acting up...
The car was acting up before I had the 2-byte load and MUT table code in it.

Here is the entire XML file:

XML
Old May 23, 2008, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
you need to start with a fresh ROM because you have fracked the V2 rom with those 2byte changes that didn't work...
Old May 23, 2008, 08:21 AM
Former Vendor

I have a autronic smc v1 for sale. With a laptop.

I have nothing else to offer, I cant tune.
Old May 23, 2008, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
you probably checked this already, but is your boost reference still attached to the FPR?
Absolutely - rechecked it and the FP (at idle) yesterday.

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Have you checked the integrity of the MAF lately? Is the screen secure still? ... It all depends on what your criteria are (emissions, time, cost, etc), but in my opinion, I think the stock ECU is a great alternative to the standalones, getting better every day.
MAF is fine, and yes, I am aware that a blow through setup should improve things at idle. As far as the stock ECU being an equitable alternative, I am trying hard to believe that. I feel strongly however that everyone should chip in just a little money to offer all the available XML files in various stages of modifications, and compile a manual with one sheet on each table/function with an explanation of how it is defined/calculated, what it does, how it works, and with an example of factory and typical upgraded setting. This would go a long way toward reducing headaches for both developers and users alike.

Originally Posted by mixmastermatt
Ted, I blame your problems on your stock frame turbo.
P-u-leeze don't make me scream. LOL
Old May 23, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
... offer all the available XML files in various stages of modifications, and compile a manual with one sheet on each table/function with an explanation of how it is defined/calculated, what it does, how it works, and with an example of factory and typical upgraded setting. This would go a long way toward reducing headaches for both developers and users alike.
I agree. This would be a nice thing to have. Maybe this can be a suggestion that mrfred gives to Colby for ECUFlash when he collects all of the newest and latest NXL changes from everyone. Maybe a help on each table giving an explanation of the table.

The only issue I see with this is that there are tons of tables and single cell references that are being found every day and/or that may never be added to the XML files.

For example, when I was doing research on the MAF scaling table, I defined the 1-cell table for the MAF adder value, which is 140 decimal. This is a value that the ECU adds to the value in the MAF scaling table when doing it's calculations. This is defined in my XML, but not in any others. Does it need to be? Will it just confuse people more if it were?

If all of the tables and cells were defined in the XML files for each ROM, there would be easily 10 times more than what we see now (completely rough guess, to prove a point). But I do agree with you on defining what is there and what is mostly used. I think it would be very difficult, at this point in time, to keep up with the rest, though. Every patch created adds new definitions/tables and every new disassembly/discovery finds new tables/defintions that must be tested and validated before defined and put in to the XMLs.

It would definitely be a huge endeavor, but well worth it in the long run.

Eric
Old May 23, 2008, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tephra
you need to start with a fresh ROM because you have fracked the V2 rom with those 2byte changes that didn't work...
Lovely. The problem is I still don't know what it is that I did that damaged the ROM. Chances are, I'd probably do it again. All I did was start with your ROM (v2), and add the things that aren't in it. Actually, I need everything (NLTS, KNOCK CEL, Valet, alt maps, 2-byte load, etc.) but I don't need the direct boost mod, as a JDM MAP sensor won't be of much use to me in running 35-40psi.

How about you provide me with what I need, and I'll just send you a Paypal payment for your trouble? I'd much rather do this than restart the arduous process of piecemealing all of these things together, only to end up right where I am now. I'd rather invest my time in tuning the car instead of searching, reading, cutting, pasting, and wondering if it's working correctly. As of now, there is no indication that it isn't working correctly, and I'll bet I'm not the only one running around with a corrupted ROM.

Let me know . . .
Old May 23, 2008, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

The only issue I see with this is that there are tons of tables and single cell references that are being found every day and/or that may never be added to the XML files.
Which is why it would need to be a 'living' document, with ongoing additions, revisions and updates, provided at a cost just like any subscription service.

It would definitely be a huge endeavor, but well worth it in the long run.
Of course it would. If it seems huge now, what will it be like in another year? Imagine if you were coming into this from out of the blue, faced with countless hours upon hours of searching and reading, when your only goal is to be able to effectively have what you need to tune the car. Without localized, organized information, the growing number of discussions and posts are slowly causing the important fragments to gradually descend into convolution, which increases the load upon external support to provide assistance.
Old May 23, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some kind of CVS system for this.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
If it seems huge now, what will it be like in another year? Imagine if you were coming into this from out of the blue, faced with countless hours upon hours of searching and reading, when your only goal is to be able to effectively have what you need to tune the car. Without localized, organized information, the growing number of discussions and posts are slowly causing the important fragments to gradually descend into convolution, which increases the load upon external support to provide assistance.
x2. It is EXTREMELY intimidating and pretty darn hard to weed through all of the posts to find stuff. I got all of my stuff working when tephra released the first NLTS patch. And havent changed a thing since because i dont think I could go through all of that info again.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are right ... there is a ton of info and it is a little confusing. But, most of us here are helpful and will post links to the threads we know when people have questions.

but, if someone starts a Wiki on the subject I'd be happy to contribute. We have to keep it objective though ... it will be useless if it becomes a boost vs timing debate.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

^^Thats a good idea. Although Im not a big fan of something that can be edited by anyone and everyone. That is how Wiki works, correct? There is about a dozen people on this board (most in this thread) that I trust for info like this.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can set permissions on a wiki if you want ... readers and contributors.

Quick Reply: About to File for Divorce from the Factory ECU . . .