Notices
ECU Flash

norcal evo ix swap project help...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008 | 10:53 AM

norcal evo ix swap project help...

so there is a 4g63 (mivec evo ix) engine sitting in my datsun 510...and it wants to start running. now all i need is a CHEAP EMS or someone willing to help a project on a budget... I managed to find a stock MR ECU, but I will need help from an OpenEcu guru to communicate with it and tweak the code.

I do not own an EVO, thats my problem...is there a way to connect to the ECU without an OBDII...if not, are you willing to help out by letting me tune the ECU through your car OBD port?

I would appreciate anyone who has the time to shed some light on this, as I would like to avoid dropping another 2k for AEM EMS...

I'm in the Bay Area...and i know there are alot of you EVOs in my 'hood. Evergreen. San Jose.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.
-k
Attached Thumbnails norcal evo ix swap project help...-evo510.jpg  
Old Jun 4, 2008 | 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

wow that project sounds awesome!!!
Old Jun 4, 2008 | 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

You'd do well to wire in a proper OBD-II port, if you're really set on using EcuFlash for this; the needed schematics are in the electrical FSM, if memory serves. Really, given all the other work you've obviously done, this is the easy part...

Do you have any other pictures of the project? I'm also curious about the transmission and other driveline choices you've made; it sounds very interesting!
Old Jun 4, 2008 | 05:06 PM

thanks, i'll look into that...if its just a few signal pins on the ECU, i think i could rig something up...good idea! I was more concerned with some sort of lock-out code if i were to "hack" into it, but hey its worth a shot.

details.
Mated a 5spd Nissan SR20det transmisson to the 4g63 using an 7075 Al adaptor plate...i machined off the thickness of said plate from the bellhousing of the transmission...the mounts are modified RB (skyline)...the fab stuff was done at DGR in San Jose. other than the box in the firewall to allow for the coolant lines and CAS sensors, not much needed to be addressed (other than the fact the turbo and intake manifold were facing the wrong way, heh)...

still have a long way to go...i just need to think out the details, regarding the engine management before i go way over budget and go off and buy AEM, I'm even considering MegaSquirting it...to save a few bucks.

-k
Old Jun 4, 2008 | 05:47 PM
Account Disabled

If I was local I would definatley help you out, but if you end up wiring up the obd2 port pm me and I will disable your immobilizer and such. If you cant find anyone local to do it.
Old Jun 4, 2008 | 05:50 PM
EvoM Guru

I can help you out no problem with tweaking the ecu.

One thing you might run into problems with using the stock ECU and if you got rid of all the emissions devices. Although you can turn the EGR check off, rear 02, etc etc.

Very cool project. I want to do the same swap, but into a 2002.

Did you extend the throttle body mount of the intake manifold?
Old Jun 4, 2008 | 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

go to NORCALEVO.NET theres some local tunner shop near your area, like EIP, GST, SPEEDELEMENT
Old Jun 4, 2008 | 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03RRVIII
go to NORCALEVO.NET theres some local tunner shop near your area, like EIP, GST, SPEEDELEMENT
+1000000000

sick 510 btw
Old Jun 4, 2008 | 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

damn man.... props to you! i hope you get it all worked out...

pics of the build? make a thread about it... im sure others are interested! good luck!
Old Jun 4, 2008 | 10:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kakakayur
so there is a 4g63 (mivec evo ix) engine sitting in my datsun 510...and it wants to start running. now all i need is a CHEAP EMS or someone willing to help a project on a budget... I managed to find a stock MR ECU, but I will need help from an OpenEcu guru to communicate with it and tweak the code.

I do not own an EVO, thats my problem...is there a way to connect to the ECU without an OBDII...if not, are you willing to help out by letting me tune the ECU through your car OBD port?

I would appreciate anyone who has the time to shed some light on this, as I would like to avoid dropping another 2k for AEM EMS...

I'm in the Bay Area...and i know there are alot of you EVOs in my 'hood. Evergreen. San Jose.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.
-k
nice project!
Old Jun 5, 2008 | 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

I love 510's and a 4g63 in one is even better!
Old Jun 5, 2008 | 10:50 AM
EvoM Guru

getting it to read/flash through an OBD-II port only requires two wires, You should hook up a proper OBD-II port for tuning and logging anyway..

www.aktivematrix.com search for "Bench Harness" It'll give you enough info to get a port wired up...

And contact me if you can produce another trans adapter plate (and you know what clutch combination works) as I have been looking at doing this with a car (I started doing a swap on a Datsun 210, but sold the car) And probably will put this engine into a Miata or something..
Old Jun 5, 2008 | 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thats is awesome!

I work on a car with starion motor in a Datsun 1200, had a huge turbo, I forget the size, it was next to impossible not to smoke the tires.

I have a 1974MGb that I am thinking about putting a 4g63 in, either evo, or 1st gen.....

Nice job!
Old Jun 5, 2008 | 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

dope project.

Nor cal
Old Jun 5, 2008 | 04:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by razorlab
I can help you out no problem with tweaking the ecu.

One thing you might run into problems with using the stock ECU and if you got rid of all the emissions devices. Although you can turn the EGR check off, rear 02, etc etc.

Very cool project. I want to do the same swap, but into a 2002.

Did you extend the throttle body mount of the intake manifold?
at least he will never have to stare at the check engine light.

Quick Reply: norcal evo ix swap project help...