Notices
ECU Flash

FIC 1050s installed today - observations and a question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I must say that I am surprised at the variability of results that people are getting for the same injector.
One thing I have noticed as well is my FPR continually keeps wanting to drop my fuel pressure for some reason. I have rebuilt it about 8,934 times now, and it keeps doing it. I can tell when it needs another rebuild when my Fuel Trims start going wack-o. This might be the reason why my Global Scaling is set to 1083 as well, due to the fuel pressure not being set to factory idle spec of 34psi (If I remember my manual correctly)
Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,053 Likes on 764 Posts
Welp,

I tuned a Evo today with FIC 1050's. Fuel trims are within +/- 2.

But yup, won't start worth a damn. Also likes to die in clutch in coming up to a light.

If I put the gas to the floor (WOT) on startup, it starts up clean. Doing this shuts off the injectors while cranking (like what you would do for a compression check)

I've tried higher and lower ms at 4.69v to 11.72v. I noticed it got a little bit better with higher ms then lower. With lower it didn't even want to start at all.

I'm going to tweak around with it a bit more tomorrow.

On the same note, I've tuned two evo's so far with RC 1000cc injectors and they have had no issues whatsoever. Start up like stock injectors without much latency fuss, never even come close to dieing at the light.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 10, 2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
On the same note, I've tuned two evo's so far with RC 1000cc injectors and they have had no issues whatsoever. Start up like stock injectors without much latency fuss, never even come close to dieing at the light.
Yep, I have scaled a lot of RC 1000 injectors and I love these injectors. They are so easy to scale and get them to idle/start like stock. IMO, they are the best big injectors for the Evo.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Welp,

I tuned a Evo today with FIC 1050's. Fuel trims are within +/- 2.

But yup, won't start worth a damn. Also likes to die in clutch in coming up to a light.

If I put the gas to the floor (WOT) on startup, it starts up clean. Doing this shuts off the injectors while cranking (like what you would do for a compression check)

I've tried higher and lower ms at 4.69v to 11.72v. I noticed it got a little bit better with higher ms then lower. With lower it didn't even want to start at all.

I'm going to tweak around with it a bit more tomorrow.

I don't feel so unlucky now. I'm having no problems with the engine dying under any circumstances, and no one else using FIC 1050s has mentioned issues with starting or stalling. Perhaps we're both isolated incidents? Also, I've noticed that the resistance to starting doesn't seem quite so bad now. Not sure what to think of this yet. Need a few more days to observe. What scaling and latencies did you end up with?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:19 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
mrfred, have you tweaked your posted values at all, or still rolling with them as-is? Looks like it'll be at least sunday before I get to put mine in...I have to install an HFS-1 and help put a motor into an S4, then wrench on and help tune a 996tt, 3 more S4's, and a VW first.....and I'm in IT, NOT wrenching for a living! Yeash!

Last edited by scheides; Jun 10, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by scheides
mrfred, have you tweaked your posted values at all, or still rolling with them as-is? Looks like it'll be at least sunday before I get to put mine in...I have to install an HFS-1 and help put a motor into an S4, then wrench on and help tune a 996tt, 3 more S4's, and a VW first.....and I'm in IT, NOT wrenching for a living! Yeash!
In short daily driving with no A/C running, I'm finding that the idle and cruise trims are hovering at -3% to -4%, so I just raised the injector scaling from 975 to 1008 this evening. This should move the trims a bit closer to 0% for my typical driving. I may fiddle a bit more with the low voltage latencies as razorlab did, but first I want to see whether my starting issue goes away on its own.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:24 AM
EvoM Guru

I don't feel so unlucky now. I'm having no problems with the engine dying under any circumstances, and no one else using FIC 1050s has mentioned issues with starting or stalling. Perhaps we're both isolated incidents? Also, I've noticed that the resistance to starting doesn't seem quite so bad now. Not sure what to think of this yet. Need a few more days to observe. What scaling and latencies did you end up with?
I'll post latencies and scaling after I have more time with it tomorrow.

272/272 cams where installed as well so I need to double check those as well.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:23 PM
EvoM Guru

I'll post latencies and scaling after I have more time with it tomorrow.

272/272 cams where installed as well so I need to double check those as well.
Any further updates on those FIC 1050s that you were tuning?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Any further updates on those FIC 1050s that you were tuning?
Got the idle better by scaling the MAF a little (has HKS induction pipe).

Added more latency in the lower voltages which helped startup a little but it still is really lazy starting up and wants to die on clutch in.

What a pita set of injectors.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Interesting. Since my setup has no problem with stalling on clutch-in, I'd tend to blame the induction kit for the issues.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting. Since my setup has no problem with stalling on clutch-in, I'd tend to blame the induction kit for the issues.
Just in case anyone missed it, I started a thread asking for a potential patch for this type of stalling. In my experience it is 100% from the intake and messed up MAF readings, not the injectors.

Obviously, there can be a number of causes, but the messed up MAF readings are the main cause from my experience.

Last edited by l2r99gst; Jun 13, 2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Well the car had the induction pipe before the cams and 1050cc's went in and it had no issues before those two things.

Of course, the cams + injectors could compound the problem.

I too agree the stalling is probably more from the pipe then the injectors, but the injectors sure made it a larger problem.

As far as the startup, I just can't get the thing to startup clean, even after scaling the MAF.

I had this same thing on another evo with FIC injectors, they weren't 1050cc's, 880's or something like that. Stock induction pipe, stock cams, etc.

Personally I prefer the RC and Denso injectors over any of the rochester type units, too bad they both only come in 720/750 and 1000cc sizes and nothing in between.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 01:22 PM

I have the FIC 1050s and I have the exact same startup issues. It will crank fine in the mornning, but after that, it's a good ~3 sec to start it up. I had already checked for leaks and the likes, and never found any.

It took me a long, long time to get them scaled because I was chasing my tail on some boost leak issues. It seems like even the smallest leak with these will throw the trims way off.

Anyways, I ended up with the latencys that Mr.Fred posted previously in his test but I ended up scaling mine to 1218 I'm sitting at 0% Low trim after 10 min idle with no A/C and -2% to -4% on the mid. after a good crusie. This is with no measurable boost leaks. Once warmed it drives very, very smooth. I'm kind of curious as to why I ended up with scaling so high when the average for these injectors seems to be between 860 and 1083. The only other change in the fuel system is a Wabro 255, which I'd imagine most other people with these injectors have.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 01:35 PM
Account Disabled

I had this same thing on another evo with FIC injectors, they weren't 1050cc's, 880's or something like that. Stock induction pipe, stock cams, etc.

Personally I prefer the RC and Denso injectors over any of the rochester type units, too bad they both only come in 720/750 and 1000cc sizes and nothing in between.
I've personally ran the FIC 650's and am now running FIC 1000's and have no startup or stalling issues. I can start the car just fine even in the winter on a motorcycle battery. My friend is currently running the FIC 880's and has none of your problems in his evo.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by outbost
It took me a long, long time to get them scaled because I was chasing my tail on some boost leak issues. It seems like even the smallest leak with these will throw the trims way off.

Anyways, I ended up with the latencys that Mr.Fred posted previously in his test but I ended up scaling mine to 1218

Any thoughts?
That would lead me to believe that you still have some sort of leak or you don't have your breather hose connected or slightly changed maf reading due to an intake, etc. And to combat the issue of a more positive idle trim than cruise trim, you kept scaling higher and higher and adding latency.

For example, you could probably scale back down to the 900 range, adding about 25% more fuel. To take out that 25% fuel at idle, assuming a 1.5ms IPW, you would have to take out about .370 from your latencies. That would still leave your Mid trims somewhat positive though, depending on what your IPW is at cruising. If you kept taking out latency, you would then end up with a more positive idle than cruise trim, indicating some sort of unmetered air getting in or maf scaling issue, like I mentioned above.

Either way, though, while that high of a scaling may be 'wrong', if it is working for your setup and you have adjusted your open loop maps to compensate, then leaving it shouldn't hurt anything. In my opinion, though, I would want to figure out what it causing that and use a more 'normal' scaling.

Eric

Quick Reply: FIC 1050s installed today - observations and a question