Notices
ECU Flash

Data Junkies - One Lap @ Redline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 05:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Data Junkies - One Lap @ Redline

Log of one lap in our Redline Time Attack 2nd place Street-AWD Evo at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah.

4300 elevation
Ambient was approx 92F
Track temp was probably 10F higher

It's huge:

Last edited by razorlab; Jul 2, 2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Random comments:

So, temps leveled out after about 35-40 degree increase...did temp remain level like that through the day, or did you find overheating issues? Judging just by the temperature, this was probably a first lap out after a cooldown?

Basically a knock-free lap; nice!

What, no boost logging? Airflow+load is basically good enough to see that the car is spooling nicely between transitions. That car has to be a blast to drive.

I'd love to see lateral G's on that log. Did the car have any accelerometers you were logging, out of curiosity? (I know that's probably data you're not able/willing to share, I'm just curious if you're logging shock motion or overall body movement for chassis setup. Suspension and other chassis logs interest me quite a bit, probably because I don't see people doing it much.)

Gut reaction: "Jeebus, that's a lot to take in." I logged a recent lapping day that I did, and I have to admit: the sheer volume of data I got out of a single session was a bit intimidating. Breaking it up into chunks based on what I knew about the track helped with more specific analysis, but it was neat stepping back and looking at it as an aggregate to catch trends.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 03:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
220 degrees F. Man I hate tuning when I'm over 190 degrees F.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 01:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dan l
220 degrees F. Man I hate tuning when I'm over 190 degrees F.
Yea the whole heat + 4300 feet altitude was fun tuning, let me tell you.

But it did well and was fast when it counted.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 01:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by logic
Random comments:

So, temps leveled out after about 35-40 degree increase...did temp remain level like that through the day, or did you find overheating issues? Judging just by the temperature, this was probably a first lap out after a cooldown?

Basically a knock-free lap; nice!
Yea it pretty much leveled out at 22X F. The car was/is running stock radiator and 100% coolant (no 50/50) so I wasn't too shocked at the temps.

The final tune was pretty much knock free. Couple counts here and there, perfectly fine in my book for the abuse it was seeing. I was pretty happy with it. This was also using a pretty aggressive boost profile for the final time attack session.

What, no boost logging? Airflow+load is basically good enough to see that the car is spooling nicely between transitions. That car has to be a blast to drive.
Yea I was hoping to get a 3bar in the car before the weekend but I was out of them and I couldn't source one in time. I almost pulled the one off my car but ended up not doing that. Now I wish I had. I can tell you the car was hitting about 27-28psi peak for that final tune.

I'd love to see lateral G's on that log. Did the car have any accelerometers you were logging, out of curiosity? (I know that's probably data you're not able/willing to share, I'm just curious if you're logging shock motion or overall body movement for chassis setup. Suspension and other chassis logs interest me quite a bit, probably because I don't see people doing it much.)
Our driver had his G2X in the car, I can see what type of data he has.

Gut reaction: "Jeebus, that's a lot to take in." I logged a recent lapping day that I did, and I have to admit: the sheer volume of data I got out of a single session was a bit intimidating. Breaking it up into chunks based on what I knew about the track helped with more specific analysis, but it was neat stepping back and looking at it as an aggregate to catch trends.
It was invaluable to me that weekend. What was a solid tune at sea level made itself quickly apparent it was not so solid at altitude and that heat. Nothing too bad but it needed to be addressed.

I had some huge logs from the friday test and tune sessions. 20min sessions each. I think the log files where 2mb + each session.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that logging real racing helps with tuning for racing. I've found time and time again that a race tune is not a street tune. My logs for my 20 minute sessions at VIR, CMP, and Summit are over 7MB a piece and contain more info than I think I need initially but I always find myself having a question a week later and then I can go back and actually answer it since I log so much. I even had a special bracket made that bolts to the rear seat frame to hold the laptop securely. (I still have the CAD files if anyone is interested... for like the 100th time) I'll be getting another log of VIR runs later this month.