Notices
ECU Flash

Anyone Forged and Logging with EvoScan?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone Forged and Logging with EvoScan?

I have an engine approaching start up time. It's got Wiseco Pistons and Crower rods among a myriad of other parts that aren't really relevant to this thread.

My question is: can I run stock ecu control and log knock accurately in EvoScan with forged internals?

With everything going on I assumed that there are many others who ended up forged either having blown a motor or going for a high boost/big turbo setup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand it's not uncommon get a little knock on start up until the pistons expand. But the last thing I want is the car to be knocking while tuning with evoscan saying knock count is 0. The car engine will be runnning a stock IX turbo.

If I should indeed run an alternative means of knock detection, what do you recommend?

EDIT: I should clarify by saying I use evoscan often and am familiar with how well it detects knock...but I have no experience logging with it on a forged motor.

Last edited by R. Mutt; Aug 9, 2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock ecu is great at giving you knock detection. As for control of knock, it will pull timing QUICK when it gets knock. I did a run that should've been about 3* at peak boost. It was really hot that day and it said 6 counts of knock and bam, my timing is -2*. I dont know how far your going to push your block, but i think the stock ecu is good for a lot of power. I dont have any numbers, but im sure there are people with 400+hp on a ecuflash/evoscan combo.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the reply...but the question is specific to forged internals. I know the stock ecu has excellent knock detection and prevention. What I want to know is if such excellence is pertinent to forged internals as well.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it reads fine with mine. i have forged internals. I do not get knock at start up either. Aries pistons with eagle rods.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
ive never herd of the knock sensor NOT reporting knock, usually its a problem with it picking up phantom knock.

my engine does not knock on startup

wiesco/oliver
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are fine. I am your thread's posterboy. I have a loose, slappy, built motor with no balance shafts and the loudest rattlely Exedy tripple carbon clutch. The stock ecu works great and so does the knock sensor. It is tunable with only minor common irratants during low load situations, shows no knock when you hear everything slapping about, and is absolutely knock free when beating the **** out of it, unless it is real knock...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread has some good info. The biggest reason why I never wanted to build my engine is because of the potential of forged internals causing too much phantom knock with the stock ECU.

It's great to see so many people having good luck in this respect. Maybe if everyone that is running built engines can list what rods/pistons they are running and any other numbers, like clearances, etc, we could get a list going of what combinations work without issues.

On the contrary, maybe people who have experienced issues can chime in as well to see what was different. I know there are potential issues, because I know of a few people that have had phantom knock issues (I think Bez was one of them, but I'm going off of my memory) and going back to DSMs, I can remember tons of them.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

I beleive Bez was having phantom knock issue due to motor being stroked to a 2.3, which would have a different noise harmonics than a 2.0
Old Aug 5, 2008, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

well i have a 2.3L with weisco pistons and oliver rods built by JAM, also a JAM stg 2 cylinder head with oversize valves, JAM lifters, HKS 264 I/E cams, i have balance shafts.

I have only been tuning the vacuum and low boost <4psi so far and it seems to be working relatively well with the stock ecu.

when i cruise i will see random 1 and 2 knock counts most of the time, with an occasional 6 or 8 count usually around the vacuum to boost transition (70-100 load, but it is infrequent).

in the 400 miles of logging i have gotten what i believe to be phantom knock about 3 times (sudden knock count of 35 that is only there for a moment then goes back to zero) this happened between 2500-3000 rpm and load less than 100.

FWIW i use logworks, not evoscan

Last edited by justboosted02; Aug 5, 2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

I have a built 2.3 without balance shafts with a Exedy twin. I get knock when it is real knock. My only issues is that damn P0300.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sabastian458
I have a built 2.3 without balance shafts with a Exedy twin. I get knock when it is real knock. My only issues is that damn P0300.
what about low load and cruise?

what rom ID are you using?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Forged engine with wiesco pistons and tomei rods, HKS 272 cams and exedy twin SD and no knock with standard ECU and maf. Runs like standard. only giveaway is the Full Race mani.

I had noticed slight knock when my APS bov was set on soft. On hard setting no knock on lift off.

I find running leaner AFR decreases knock, don't ask me why.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oracle1
I find running leaner AFR decreases knock, don't ask me why.
When do you see the knock reduce? At what AFR?

MB