Notices
ECU Flash

TephraMOD V5.10

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2008, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nurburgring
Jack, I have logged extensively with the 0015 in my 04, no tip-in knock whatsoever. I have tested in every gear, from 2000rpms+.

Your issue is basically at 2000-2500rpms with loads around 100-140? and it doesn´t go away with less timing? That area seems to be a bit problematic as I´ve read people mentioning it´s a "knock-prone" zone in 4G63s. But if your problem is only on tip-in, it may not be related.
I have a 4g64 2.4L and I'm getting the tip in knock, so its not just the motor. It most likely is something to do with the tune, I'm still trying pulling more timing and messing with the fuel before I resort to testing the 94170008 with maps copied over.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, the tuning changes to help eliminate the tip-in knock issue have dropped my fuel economy about 15%. Considering I still get the tip-in knock quite often, I think I'll put it back to where it was to at least get my fuel economy back.

The issues pop up when the timing seems to be deviating heavily from the maps anyway. The main map is telling it to run ~30 degrees. However, the ECU is logging 40-42 degrees the instant before the knock occurs. It's a spike too. It will be running low 30s right before the event, which with compensation, I assume this is where it should be, and then it will jump up to 40+, then knock and pull back to the low 30s. The knock count drops right back to zero and the run goes on like normal. The logger is only showing 1 count of knock too and typically just for 1 sample. However, I have the knock light set at 2 counts and the fast set at 6 and it usually gets enough knock to set off the fast flash.

I think I'll try one of the older Tephra versions as well and see if it changes anything. Also, a co-worker is using V5.10 in his IX and has the same tip-in issues.

I was wondering if maybe the fact we are at 4800' in elevation is messing with something?

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Nov 5, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
corrupt ROM.

did you overwrite any OLD tephra mod xml with the new one?
Sure didn't. Works great on my car. I flashed it from my laptop (same one I flash my car with) Mine was also originally a 94170008.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Well, the tuning changes to help eliminate the tip-in knock issue have dropped my fuel economy about 15%. Considering I still get the tip-in knock quite often, I think I'll put it back to where it was to at least get my fuel economy back.

The issues pop up when the timing seems to be deviating heavily from the maps anyway. The main map is telling it to run ~30 degrees. However, the ECU is logging 40-42 degrees the instant before the knock occurs. It's a spike too. It will be running low 30s right before the event, which with compensation, I assume this is where it should be, and then it will jump up to 40+, then knock and pull back to the low 30s. The knock count drops right back to zero and the run goes on like normal. The logger is only showing 1 count of knock too and typically just for 1 sample. However, I have the knock light set at 2 counts and the fast set at 6 and it usually gets enough knock to set off the fast flash.

I think I'll try one of the older Tephra versions as well and see if it changes anything. Also, a co-worker is using V5.10 in his IX and has the same tip-in issues.

I was wondering if maybe the fact we are at 4800' in elevation is messing with something?
Hmm, I really gotta log this more to see if I get the spike in timing. If thats the case maybe its something with the EGR coding or maybe tephra's bit9 thingy which is supposed to disable the low load variances from the map would be a solution??
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Is it possible that "tephra's bit9 thingy which is supposed to disable the low load variances from the map" is a transient ignition advance function?
I have seen and used this (sparingly) on some aftermarket ECUs and was wondering if it was the same sort of function.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack of Trades, did several freeway onramp tip in pulls in 3rd 2500 and a few above..nothing out of the oridnary for me. did some more this morning after adjusting my timing on 2step area..nothing again. I don't know if it is the cold air temp or that I'm using water/alch., but I have no unusual knock.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
To try and cure some of the ignition retard issues, I have zero'd out the "boost enhancement (anti-lag)" map for ignition and fuel. I have also disabled FAA bit 10. Further, I have reduced peak timing in the main ignition table from 38 degrees to 35 degrees. The combination of these seems to have helped, but not solved my problems.
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Hmm, I really gotta log this more to see if I get the spike in timing. If thats the case maybe its something with the EGR coding or maybe tephra's bit9 thingy which is supposed to disable the low load variances from the map would be a solution??
Isn't it bit10 in FAA that needs to be disabled to disable the EGR dynamic advance stuff?

I have FAA Bit 10 disabled currently with the "boost enhancement enrich/enlean (anti-lag)" table set to 14.7 across the board. From what I have gathered, in the 94170015 xml, this table may be mislabeled and it should be labeled as an EGR dynamic enleanment table to go along with the EGR ignition table. These last two items combined seem to have dropped my mpg from 22mpg to 19mpg without fixing my part throttle issues. It has seemed to reduce the problem a bit though when combined with knocking the max timing down from 38 degrees to 35 degrees.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
I have been getting a crapload of tip-in knock on the 94170015 v5.10 rom as well (leanspool disabled). Starting to really annoy me.
I'm getting the same thing and thought I too was an isolated issue. I've dropped a ton of timing and richened up the maps but, to no avail as well.

Tephra - Do you still need some 008 ROMS to see if something is up?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo8dad
Tephra - Do you still need some 008 ROMS to see if something is up?
He needs stock 0015 roms to compare to his patch version. I think I will try to finesse my timing a little more and see if I can't remedy this once and for all. Seeing as I run 93 octane and my factory maps are for 91 octane (USDM) you'd think knock would be LESS prone for me in that range. Cars.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 06:06 PM
Account Disabled

have you guys gone to a stock ROM and put those fuel/timing maps in to make sure it's NOT the tephra ROM? it just seems like people are quick to lay blame on him.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
have you guys gone to a stock ROM and put those fuel/timing maps in to make sure it's NOT the tephra ROM? it just seems like people are quick to lay blame on him.
I went back and I'm good. Just waiting until this gets all worked out to reinstall. The previous s.e.s., ect, stuff worked great for me.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 06:43 PM
Account Disabled

ok good, hopefully everyone else is doing the proper testing before laying blame.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

ok good, hopefully everyone else is doing the proper testing before laying blame.
It could very well be just the tune, especially on my car. Thats why I stated earlier that I'm planning on swapping back in an old rom with maps copied over to see if it occurs this weekend.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the 94170015 rom with the lean spool enabled. No tip in knock issues. Have you guys tried tuning with the lean spool enabled? I'm going to disable my lean spool again. Hadn't noticed that I removed it when switching roms.

Does sound like a tooning issue.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think there needs to be any blame. People should know what they are getting into prior to patching, that's why one should keep a stock ROM/map around, and read Tephras' disclaimer. Basicly, people should take responsibility for their own actions.

Above when I said I went back, I just wanted to clarify, that when I had "tip in" knock, I was running ecuflash 1.38 and Tephras' 5.10. Prior to that I had the ecuflash 1.34 and 2 byte load and an earlier Tephra patch (Whoever reads this I hope you paid Tephra, BTW) and my tune was great, added an intake with no issues at all. Flashed to 1.38/5.10 at the dyno, to optimize my tune for the intake and take advantage of the 1.38/5.10. This is where I had the knock all the way home, 2 hours of me thinking WTF. I had Mase come to my house and reflash 1.34 and swap over my maps, with no knock. I asked after for a road tune for my peace of mind, as I didn't trust the tune from the dyno beause of because of the knocking. I was thinking it could have effected the over all tune. Now I'm sitting pretty.

Quick Reply: TephraMOD V5.10