Notices
ECU Flash

Smoothing your tune with graphing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Play with your OpenGL/Direct 3D settings ... try turning off anti-aliasing and such ... anisotropic filtering or whatever it's called.

EDIT :: Just checked my settings ... I'm on App. Preference for both OpenGL and Direct 3D (I don't game on this machine anymore). Give that a try.

I smoothed the VVT map by hand mainly, but I did end up using your timing map smoother ... I just pasted the VVT map in the correct cells (20x16) and then duplicated the last row and column so it wouldn't use cells form the timing map that I pasted on top of.

That dip in timing is for boost on the stationary limiter ... lower timing @ 120/160 and 5500/6000 RPM.

BTW, I just loaded this map and we'll see how it does on the way to work in the morning.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Aug 19, 2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

ahhhh that makes sense. You're way ahead of me in so much as playing with funky map tables for stationary spool. I'm no even close to wanting to swap clutches in my non-garage.

interesting comments re: openGL etc ... boostGotMeLaid, are you a gamer?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

but in the end ... it doesn't matter ... just use my smoothing tables and the graphs in there to judge the smoothness ...

EDIT: to semi-quote Rick James: homemade Sangria is a helluva drug
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant figure it out ive tried everything this ones giving me problems is there a lower version i can download??
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jumperalex
ahhhh that makes sense. You're way ahead of me in so much as playing with funky map tables for stationary spool. I'm no even close to wanting to swap clutches in my non-garage.

interesting comments re: openGL etc ... boostGotMeLaid, are you a gamer?
am i a gamer huh video games??
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

http://openecu.org/downloads/

Either way, I think it has to do with your video settings ... if everything else shows up fine but the graph, it seems to point to an OpenGL issue.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble
http://openecu.org/downloads/

Either way, I think it has to do with your video settings ... if everything else shows up fine but the graph, it seems to point to an OpenGL issue.
my AEM works fine hmmm i dont know mabe this computer is weird Thanks for the help
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoryder
complete uninstall then reinstall the business disc. Also if that doesn't work you can use free excel based program from www.openoffice.org

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I un-installed the 2 versions, and re-installed the valid version and were in business!
I also just un-installed ecuflash v. 1.29 and in-stalled 1.35 flawlessly, and got my first look of the 3d graphs. Interesting! Surprisingly enough my graphs werent too bad!
I just got my first taste of this auto-smoothing worksheet tonight, and boy is this cool. I smoothed out my timing and Fuel maps once just to see how it works... Decided to flash my car w/ the new smoothing maps. I'll see how we do. Props to every1 involved, you know who you are! And thak you for sharing! This is good stuff!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quick question OT... When I open up the new Ecuflash 1.35, all of the new patches from my old .xml, I added came up blue. map sensor, MUT table, etc. I can still see the correct values... Im in developer. I thought it was cause I forgot to change the endian to "big", but I did that and no change...
Any ideas?

Last edited by nonschlont; Aug 20, 2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are you guys posting just your graphs? I tried to mess with that but, can't figure it out.

The spreadsheet works great and really does cut down on the smoothing process.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 01:17 AM
Evolving Member

nice stuff, anyone done some logging to see how smoothing works, if it pulls stronger, etc?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

I tried out my new smoothed maps this morning ... I did a short pull in 4th and it felt good. No knock. About the same as before. But, my maps were already pretty smooth in the WOT areas and I didn't expect any changes there.

However, part throttle does seem a bit smoother. I had a rough spot on accel that always bugged me ... t was around 3000 RPM and about 5 psi. It was not there this morning which makes me happy. I had looked for a jump somewhere in my maps that caused this and just could not find it, but the smoothing took care of it. I'm guessing that it was a crossover point and the fuel, timing and MIVEC all lined up just right to cause the hiccup (well, jump really).

I have logs of the part throttle driving but no WOT yet.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
How are you guys posting just your graphs? I tried to mess with that but, can't figure it out.
Use the Prnt Scrn button (or CMD+Shift+4 for the nifty marquee tool on a Mac) to copy your screen to the clipboard. then, past the image in to an image editing application ... I use Photoshop but you can use Paint as well. Crop the image and then save as a GIF for a small file size. Then post ...
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

How exactly does the excel sheet work? I tried it out last night, but just am not too sure I was doing it right. Does it use the smoothing of a stock map, and apply that to the modded map? If not, what is the purpose of the stock map in the xcel sheet?

I just did my fuel last night, and here's what I did. Please let me know if Im doing something wrong. I edited all of the load values to match my maps, and then shifting everything in the stock map in the worksheet to accomidate that. For the load cells that were not defined yet I just pasted the 260? values in the last columns and subtracted .1 or so for each column. Then I pasted my fuel map in the the middle (modifed map). Then copy/pasted the top map (smoothed map) into my tune. Is that the correct process? I just want to make sure I sort of know whats going on behind the scenes, and that I am using it correctly.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
quick question OT... When I open up the new Ecuflash 1.35, all of the new patches from my old .xml, I added came up blue. map sensor, MUT table, etc. I can still see the correct values... Im in developer. I thought it was cause I forgot to change the endian to "big", but I did that and no change...
Any ideas?
I think that the new version of ECUflash is just telling you what maps are for "developer" (in blue) and which ones are on by default. Im seeing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Smoothing your tune with graphing