Notices
ECU Flash

Smoothing your tune with graphing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Since I started using this, I have become very **** with my maps lol. Its one of those things that can only help, so I don't mind the obsession haha.

WAY OFF TOPIC...
Bryan, I doubt I'll have time to get my GM 3 port installed and dialed in before the shootout since this week looks like rain for most of my free time I'm gonna try to hop on Buschurs Mustang dyno and the extra boost up top woulda REALLLY helped So far I'm running 22psi and 23* at 7000rpm with the alky. What is a normal peak timing range you see on stock turbo/alky kit setups you've seen? It's the equivelent of 100 octane, plus so air charge cooling effect basically.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Aug 10, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Since I started using this, I have become very **** with my maps lol. Its one of those things that can only help, so I don't mind the obsession haha.

WAY OFF TOPIC...
Bryan, I doubt I'll have time to get my GM 3 port installed and dialed in before the shootout since this week looks like rain for most of my free time I'm gonna try to hop on Buschurs Mustang dyno and the extra boost up top woulda REALLLY helped So far I'm running 22psi and 23* at 7000rpm with the alky. What is a normal peak timing range you see on stock turbo/alky kit setups you've seen? It's the equivelent of 100 octane, plus so air charge cooling effect basically.
23* sounds good to me if the car takes it.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Ok good,lol. I can get a little more out of it but I'm at the limits I think. I only have Evoscan to get an idea of where I am power wise, and evoscan says anywhere from 330whp to 405whp depending on the pull,lol. If I am in the 330-350whp range on Buschurs Mustang Dyno I'll be beyond happy. My 9.5 hotside, stock piping and FMIC aren't gonna help things too much though.

[/off topic]
Old Aug 11, 2008, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?

How the heck do you colorize it?

Old Aug 11, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

EcuFlash 1.34, btw.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

If anyone is interested, I have a really intensive spreadsheet made in Excel to aid me in tuning as well. It has more resolution than ECUFlash, and has a ton of the car's maps on it.

I have used it for/Has the following graphs:

1. Main ignition maps (High/Low)
2. Boost enhancement maps
3. Fuel maps (High/Low)
4. Injector Scalings (Used to replicate stock latency graphed curve)
5. Open loop graphs
6. Accel Enrichments
7. MAF Scalings
8. MAF smoothing
9. IAC Tables
10. ISCV Maps
11. BDEL Maps
12. MWDC Maps
13. TBEC Maps
14. JDM MAP Sensor Values
15. RPM Slopes (For tuning RPM Rise vs. Time)

Most of the graphs are 3D, but I have found it is easier to smooth the map in 2D because you can see all the color lines and stuff.

If anyone is interested, PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you. It works really well, and is pretty simple.

All you would have to change is your RPM scaling & load scalings to your map, and off you go.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not into the ECU flash world yet but I have tuned a previous car on an AEM EMS. Can someone post a picture of the stock timing and fuel maps? I would love to see them.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann
If anyone is interested, I have a really intensive spreadsheet made in Excel to aid me in tuning as well. It has more resolution than ECUFlash, and has a ton of the car's maps on it.
Thats cool. ECUFlash is basically all excel driven for the most part so it should be easy to mimic.

Originally Posted by ~BoOsTeR~
How the heck do you colorize it?

It should have a color scale always. Yours is in black and white? Or is it one solid color?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I have given this ago.

My originals were not too bad as they were, but there was room for improvement.

It seems I have managed to gain 1 - 2° in some places (high load area's) and upto 4° in the midrange area.

First run with the smoothed maps, and the logs said the car wasn't happy, was showing knock counts of 4 - 6 on a 4th gear pull.

2nd, - 12th log of all gears from low down to rev limit, and ramping up through the gears is showing no more than the odd 1's and 2's

Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thats awesome Its amazing how useful of a tool it really is for the average DIY tuner. Just another visual aid, but boy does it really help.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had used it before, as you can prob guess by my original not being massively rough.

However I hadn't spent the time to totally smooth it as I wasn't sure if the ecu would except the extra timing to remove the dips or not, and didn't have the time to datalog it propperly.

But now i've done it, I will log it over the next couple of days just to make 100% sure everything is still good.

It would be even better if we could get it to work in the same way as ecutek and ecuedit (when you highlight a cel in the map, it shows you on the graph where that area is ).
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cossie1
I had used it before, as you can prob guess by my original not being massively rough.

However I hadn't spent the time to totally smooth it as I wasn't sure if the ecu would except the extra timing to remove the dips or not, and didn't have the time to datalog it propperly.

But now i've done it, I will log it over the next couple of days just to make 100% sure everything is still good.

It would be even better if we could get it to work in the same way as ecutek and ecuedit (when you highlight a cel in the map, it shows you on the graph where that area is ).

Yeah, once I made my first smoothed out rendition, I just did some logging and found a few spots that needed to be brought down a hair. I actually lowered my initial timing marks in some spots and gained consistent power since those oddball knock counts would bump my timing down below the new timing mark anyhow.

Having the Graph highlight the location would be awesome. It would be cool if you had a 'smoothing' setting that would limit the largest cell jump to a user definable parameter. Say the most you ever want from one cell to the next to 2*, if you lowered one cell by 6*, it would lower the neighboring cells to make the transition fluid. Unlike the interpolation which makes straight lines. I'm sure this has been done already somewhere else.

I'm in love with this (thats kinda obvious,lol), wish I had come across the usefulness of this ages ago. Someone might have made a thread but I never came across it.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

You'll begin to find out that you usually get knock from the drastic jumps, not the maximum ignition timing you had. I was able to bump my overall ignition timing by over 2* in my powerband with no knock. On my old tune, with 2-3* less timing I would get blips of 1-4 counts of knock.

Making the ECU try to make drastic jumps in a few milliseconds makes it lose complete control over things.....causing it to make tiny errors which can cause knock. Once its smoothed out, its basically on autopilot at that point
Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

I just smoothed out inco9nito99's maps for him. Hopefully he can test it and we'll see how it does

Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Jamie, thanks so much for smoothing my map out for me. It looks incredible and I cannot WAIT to get it under the microscope with some logs.

Quick Reply: Smoothing your tune with graphing