Notices
ECU Flash

Smoothing your tune with graphing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, thanks Jumperalex. That looks way interesting. So, just simply past my stock and modded maps in place and that's it?

Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yup. if you played with the load or rpm axis then be sure to change those as well. it doesn't impact the calculations but it could get confusing if you don't.

Last edited by Jumperalex; Aug 13, 2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I smoothed my fuel and timing maps using your worksheet. Will test drive and data log in the AM.

It looks way better than my feeble attempts using the abacus.

Yea, that's me. I look young for my age. I'm actually 16.

Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude.. that excel file is bad ***! . it make it soooo much easier. my question is how do you know there will be no knock with the new values though?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

I don't. But then again we don't know that doing it by hand. That is why I modified and used the difference tables so that you can see where perhaps too large of a change has been applied and then modify it.

It is also the other reason why I'm looking at alternative ways to do this that will use threshold or clipping to give the absolute minimum change while still smoothing. The center weighted averaging is part of that as it really reduced the change away from original. You should see how damn smooth it is with straight averaging. Like a baby's bottom it is!!!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

And I must say, Big Ups to my main man tkklemann for the original spreadsheet which was so well put together. All I did was start modifying the cell formulas. And of course Jack of Trades for bringing the smoothing idea to our attention.

I think one of my next steps, other than tweaking the formulas for different regions will be to setup the fuel map to always round to the nearest 0.0572 so that it matches what the ECU can actually take in. Probably just convert to hex or unit16, do the smoothing, and then convert back [shrug]

Last edited by Jumperalex; Aug 14, 2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jumperalex
And I must say, Big Ups to my main man tkklemann for the original spreadsheet which was so well put together. All I did was start modifying the cell formulas. And of course Jack of Trades for bringing the smoothing idea to our attention.

I think one of my next steps, other than tweaking the formulas for different regions will be to setup the fuel map to always round to the nearest 0.0572 so that it matches what the ECU can actually take in. Probably just convert to hex or unit16, do the smoothing, and then convert back [shrug]

And the thing about that excel sheet is you will find you will always be playing with it.

I am always trying to do different things with it, formulas, scalings, etc.. To me it is fascinating trying to figure out the logic and reasoning as to why it (The original Mitsu maps) was done the way it was. Maybe that's why I can't get laid now...
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not too shabby. can't excel do 3D grpahing?? Would be nice to see those in there. I think the reason Mitsu's maps are so funky are 2 reasons, (1)overly conservative in spots that made them worry about warranty issues and (2) not much work was put into them, especially since they are heavily de-tuned cars from the factory. If you saw their high HP models in Europe, I bet their maps look a little bit smoother ;-)

Can anyone find a timing map from their 400hp version?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
Not too shabby. can't excel do 3D grpahing?? Would be nice to see those in there. I think the reason Mitsu's maps are so funky are 2 reasons, (1)overly conservative in spots that made them worry about warranty issues and (2) not much work was put into them, especially since they are heavily de-tuned cars from the factory. If you saw their high HP models in Europe, I bet their maps look a little bit smoother ;-)

Can anyone find a timing map from their 400hp version?
I thought the 400hp version had a motec?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

It very well might have, I don't know what they run in that version. I bet the maps look nice though,lol.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

The FQ400 does use the motec ecu.

The highest power standard (standard ecu) car we get is the FQ360.

Here is a copy of the timing map from 1 of those
Attached Thumbnails Smoothing your tune with graphing-untitled.png  
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Yes excel does 3d, and those maps are in fact 3d but they are set to display straight up and down giving just a countour line view. Just right click on the map and choose "3-d view ..." to change the perspective. If you right click and choose "Location" and change it to a new sheet then you can actually grab and rotate the chart just like in EcuFlash. I could do that later too if people like. Easy enough and I can still leave the contour charts in place as well so you can view it while changing numbers.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely much better. I think another reason you won't see "super" smoothing is because these maps are generic, made for a fleet of cars. When we "dial in" our own car, we can obviously make things much better.

EDIT: Defnitely need to rotate the 3D maps, turns up more irregularities that way
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cossie1
The FQ400 does use the motec ecu.

The highest power standard (standard ecu) car we get is the FQ360.

Here is a copy of the timing map from 1 of those
Now dat dare be smoooovvee
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

yeah I know the 3d helps. ... but it is also nice to see all three in one view and that is hard if you go 3d because then you can't see much with them so small. Make them bigger and now you can't fit everything. But perhaps I can add another tab that just deals with smoothing "work" vs a tab that provides the chance to contrast and compare. Likely won't get anything done tonight as I have a friend in town. but maybe over the weekend as I'm also trying to do some final boost control tuning.

Quick Reply: Smoothing your tune with graphing