Notices
ECU Flash

Autosmoothing tool for Fuel and Ignition Maps

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is called OCD for a reason

And TB is right ... this is only meant to smooth irregularities in the maps, not smooth it out like a wet blanket. There are many "features" of the maps that are there for a good reason, and you want to retain them. That is part of the reason I want to geek out (cause trust me this is NOT geeking out yet) and use other methods for smoothing which are specifically designed to eliminate noise but still retain the "signal" of the original data. But excel is not the best tool for that and it has been 3 years now since I left grad school and even looked at any of those techniques. And in the end I'm just not sure it is that important so long as folks don't go crazy with 30 iterations and put some thought into locking cells that should not be smoothed.

Which beings up the next point ... anyone wanna take a shot at the mivec? I can take a guess at the major features that should be smoothed, but want someone who is actually in the know to do it.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann
Excellent! When I originally did the boost control thing using the stock BCS, I used excel to get it tuned correctly. I wrote a couple of formulas and what not, and eventually got Excel to tell me what I should set my values to.

It's amazing how when something is put in picture form how much easier it is to comprehend.
Oh hell yeah. I'm still using the original version for my MAF scalling. It helps a ton, especially the ability to visualize the stock (for general shape) current and proposed maps. Without it I'd just be shooting in the dark which isn't always as satisfying as it could be >;-)
Old Aug 22, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

With MIVEC, you'll need to know the increments ... it jumps by like .8 or .6 or something. Min is -1.2º and max is 28.8º. You probably want to lock the idle area (0-40 load and 0 - 1000 RPM) and maybe the dialed in curve at WOT (200 - 300 load). Just let the cruise and tip in areas be smoothed.

I don't have my custom map available to send right now, but let me know if it will help and I'll send a ROM to you. Please note that my MIVEC settings might not be common though ... not sure if it matters for your needs.

EDIT :: Attached my smoothed graph with notes.
Attached Thumbnails Autosmoothing tool for Fuel and Ignition Maps-vvtnotes.gif  

Last edited by TouringBubble; Aug 22, 2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

About what I figured. I might set those areas to default not smooth. The nice thing about the way I have the sheet set up, if I may be so self satisfying, is that you can set those areas to not smooth, then go through a few iterations, and then turn off the smooth limiting and smooth it one more time to just touch up those areas, even using different smoothing limits to prevent more or less advance.

and yes your map does not appear common as there are a few features of the oem map I used that yours is missing. But that isn't a big deal in this case anyway.

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'd suggest setting up your defaults based on the JDM RS map instead of the stock USDM map. Most users will be starting with that and the locked areas would be more relevant.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

1) Curious ... why is that? Just a known better map?

2) What is the ROMID?

3) Where can I get it because it does not appear available from the Wiki.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

More aggressive map from Mitsu .. available on the JDM RS. No clue on the ROM ID. I believe someone posted it in the original thread ... otherwise, you can find it in the MIVEC tuning thread.

Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm oook ... well do you happen to know a source for it in actual digits. I'm not planning to hand jam that
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

I do not sir. Maybe someone is running that map and could provide.

(and I knew you'd say that you lazy bastard!)
Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

ME!!!!! Hey I don't even own one of those new fangled My Veck contraptions all you whipper snappers keep jawin' 'bout ... double
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
How many times do you smooth it? I did about 30 copy/pastes into that excel to resmooth before it finally stabilized.
I only smoothed it once. I went from almost having 90*angles to a more smooth look (Obviously). lol It took away quite a bit w/ just 1 smooth! I will lock out the idle area try what TB said and post up a before and after shot later tonight. I wasnt sure if taking away that much would benefit any way other than a smoother looking graph?

Last edited by nonschlont; Aug 22, 2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this seems like a great tool. so how do i use this? paste in my current maps on the number 2 area?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

yup. check out the instructions tab. feel free to ask questions from there.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Jumper, maybe you should link in your first thread the original post by JackofTrades so new comers can do some reading. The file does explain how to use the smoothing feature.

Map 1 Modified map(smoothed once pasted from map 2)
Map 2 You current map unsmoothed(copy and paste to map 1)
Map 3 pretty much there to take up empty space.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringBubble
You don't have to copy/paste until there are no changes in the map ... 2-3 iterations should be more than enough in most cases (depending on the original map). Smoothing too many times could bring down or increase values that really should have stayed the same.
Right. For the fuel maps, I locked those values down so they wouldn't smooth.

Quick Reply: Autosmoothing tool for Fuel and Ignition Maps