Notices
ECU Flash

Air Temp Comp/Tables for E85

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Air Temp Comp/Tables for E85

Looking for info or advise on the Air temp compensation tables for E85.
First are the tables based on gas flash points and autoignition properties.
Next what do the cells on the right side of the tables represent. They say units, units of what......... fuel compensation %?

I'm wanting to see if I can reduce some of the cold start issues. There is a huge difference in fuels. I'm not worried about the autoignition boost will fix that one. My main focus is the flash point. I feel it is the reason for the cold start issues I just want to see if we can make it start better in cold weather.

Gasoline flash point<−40°C (−40°F) Autoignition 246°C (475°F)
E85 flash point<17C (62.6F) Autoignition for Ethonal E100 365°C (689°F)

Have any of you running E85 messed with the Air temp comp tables before?
Thanks for the input E85 FTW
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:47 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The air temp comp tables are making percentage corrections in most ecus, aftermarket and OEM. If your base fuel maps are set properly, the Air temp correct tables should provide an acceptable compensation to provide proper fueling. Its really just base on the Ideal gas equation, but like you have suggested, there will be a very slight change do to evaporative differences. These differences are minute enough not to worry about.

Last edited by DeiPro; Sep 2, 2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Any suggestions on cold start issues like below 50*F?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 05:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by [EVO]Cookie
Any suggestions on cold start issues like below 50*F?
Cold start enrichment tables have been found, but for the few people that have tried it, dumping fuel doesn't seem to help that much.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

I've tried the start enrichment on the MafT it didn't seem to help. I wonder what Gm did to make there cars start so good in the cold. I have relatives in Michigan that run E85 in the winter..... GM car's and truck's they don't complain about starting in the winter. E70 is the lowest amount they get there. I've tried E70 @ 32* and it is to hard to start I didn't notice any difference between the two.

What about more fire power like a DLI or a COP setup?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 01:48 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by [EVO]Cookie
I've tried the start enrichment on the MafT it didn't seem to help. I wonder what Gm did to make there cars start so good in the cold. I have relatives in Michigan that run E85 in the winter..... GM car's and truck's they don't complain about starting in the winter. E70 is the lowest amount they get there. I've tried E70 @ 32* and it is to hard to start I didn't notice any difference between the two.

What about more fire power like a DLI or a COP setup?
possibly something to warm the injectors/rail/IM slightly. I hear E85/E70 is pretty slushy at that point and needs a bit of warmth to help with startup.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 02:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
possibly something to warm the injectors/rail/IM slightly. I hear E85/E70 is pretty slushy at that point and needs a bit of warmth to help with startup.
Its a nice idea, but in practice, it will take way too long for a heater to have a significant effect on the temperature of the fuel in the rail and in the injector. It just takes too long for heat transfer through that much metal for a heater that would not melt plastic/rubber parts nearby.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As seen in TV much cars in brasil are equipped with a small tank of pump in the engine bay to help starting.