Notices
ECU Flash

Ignition map help.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition map help.

I know this forum is dedicated to the ECUflash but I am running the Accessport and in need of help with my timing map. Since there are a lot more people tuning with ECUflash, I figure this is the best place for me to post. I purchased the car with the AP already on it and the previous owner didn't get the car tuned properly. I was able to download the AP race tuner beta program and looked at my timing map.
Currently under 22psi on a 35r, I am getting a max of 10 counts of knock @WOT around the 4k-6k range and I can tell the car is pulling timing. I'm new to what kinda of timing the 4g63 can run, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The bottom end is built and like I said, I'm running a AMS 35r kit with 1000cc injectors and obviously stock ecu with AP. I just want to get rid of the knock, I'll be getting the car tuned next month but in the mean time I want to resolve this issue.

Here is a screen shot of my current timing map.

Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm. If your running 22psi on a 35r, maybe you should re-scale your load axis. I dont know anything about accessport, but ecuflash can do it. What may be happening is your load value is exceeding your max table values. My stock turbo on 24 psi with a intake and exhaust is hitting 271 load. I KNOW that the 35r can push more airflow that my stocker so you are definitally over-scaling your table. Also i didnt see you post any AFR values up, a knock condition can be caused be a lean mix. So dont blame it all on timing. A leaner AFR will cause knock at any timing advance. Again i dont know a lot about access port, but it doesnt look as easy to work with as ecuflash (or as capable). Post up some data logs with load, timing, wideband afr, and knock and i bet we can get that knock down <2 counts. I just took another look at your peak timing, 15* at 7000 isnt too bad, its a tad high, i usually see about 12* or 13*. Depends on local gas and intake air temp. If your running 92oct like the crap he get here, 12* at 7k is pushing the limit (depending on boost).

Last edited by silver_evo; Sep 11, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
What is your AFR, what octane gas.

What load are you seeing? Not sure if racetuner can log ignition load, but ProTuner can.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

I'm still trying to use the raceturner... so far its a long process. The previous owner was a beta tester for Cobb's Protuner, so he did this custom map for the AP. Before he had finish testing, he sold the car to me and now I'm left with this map. Cobb is too busy to fit me in to get Protuned and I have plans to go AEM EMS in the coming months so I am just trying to get some sort of temp fix. As for my AFR, my XD-1 shows actually on the leaner side compared to before, this may be the culprit. Its high 11's and low 12's where I use to see low 11's, that is too lean especially running on crapo 91. I have not been able to datalog the load or anything for that matter, I've just noticed a change in the car's performance since the last week or so. I plugged in the AP which shows live data on the AP screen, it shows various counts of knock under wot which why I check the timing map, assuming that was the initial reason.

I think I'm going to download, evoscan and do some logging there. Also I am getting partial throttle knock, just 1 or 2 count but sometimes it goes up to 9 just for a split second. Never continuous, just a spike hear and there. Is this normal or acceptable?

Last edited by rEVoLed; Sep 11, 2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:46 PM
EvoM Guru

If it is indeed running high 11 AFR on 91, that is most likely the reason.

Can you post the fuel map as well?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Here ya go...

I understand that the 3d map should be as smooth as possible and there shouldn't be any spikes or valleys but looks like I have a huge one right in the mid...

The other question is, I have no idea what the values means. Since this is a beta program, theres no instructions so I dunno what 1.0 represents specifically (100%?). It does look like that 1.0 is the maximum decreasing value so I would guess that leanest one can go?

On a side note, I know prior to this week I haven't had any problems with the knock sum. It always have been 0-1-2 but last week, my o2 housing broke and since then the car has been acting up like this.

Last edited by rEVoLed; Sep 11, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:01 AM
EvoM Guru

If racetuner is the same as ProTuner in this regard (I haven't had a chance to use racetuner yet), then:

Edit / Configure Options

under the display tab in the options window, under data display, check off "Use standard units", this should change the fuel map to normal looking
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

I actually had to check "use standard units" in order to have it read in the 14.7 scale.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by rEVoLed
I actually had to check "use standard units" in order to have it read in the 14.7 scale.
yea that's what I meant, check the box for "use standard units".
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Well I richen the high load cells. I think I really need to datalog and see exactly what cells I'm hitting, like previously mention by silver evo, I may have to rescale my load axis.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
that table is a lot harder to read compared to OpenECU. I feel like im taking one of those spatial tests, with the axis flipped around, the way they are, looking at your tables.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 01:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EFIxMR
that table is a lot harder to read compared to OpenECU. I feel like im taking one of those spatial tests, with the axis flipped around, the way they are, looking at your tables.
Unfortunatly that is the way Cobb formats it. It took me awhile not to get a headache while Protuning.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

exactly! I've been trying to compare some Openecu maps vs. mine and I get a headache trying to correlated the cells.