Notices
ECU Flash

Ingersoll Rand Boost Solenoid, confirmed works and cheap

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, ok. so the map is a whole seperate thing. This discussion is about replacing the stock wastegate solenoid for improved boost control.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 07:29 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great info... something that would be great to have added to the Wiki!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by honki24
Congrats on the child! Man do I know what that's like. I'm in the same place as you. I can only afford to fix/do the small stuff right now. Just had twins 5 months ago.

Good find. Way to be experimental.
Thanks for the congrats...baby owns all now lol, im sure your expenses are double lol.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:56 PM

Bringing Post Back from the Dead

I recently got a Tactrix cable (1.3u) and Evoscan/Ecuflash and have been reading many different post including Merlin's EcuFlash guide and posts like this one as I am very interested in being able to capture my L-C1 wideband (successfuly doing so via Evoscan) and just received an Omni 4-port sensor which I will be installing this weekend to log boost.

The current map installed on my ECU was tuned by a friend of mine unsing Access Tuner Race to be loaded via my Cobb Access port which controls a Perrin EBCS.

My question is, I have used EcuFlash to get the map into a bin/hex and have been familiarizing myself with the map in EcuFlash rather than the Accessport Tuner Race as I want to be able to log boost etc. Since I have a Perrin EBCS installed, being a noob to tuning and after having read many posts, I wonder if there is any way anyone can help guide me to the specific tables in the map within EcuFlash that I need to pay special attention to in order to ensure that the EBCS parameters properly ported into EcuFlash. I can even post the tables so that I can then get a more thorough examination from my fellow Evom forum.

I other words, in theory, now that I have the map in a hex/bin format, should I be able to burn that map as is into my ECU and suffer no consequences? I think the asnwer is no, that one should always ensure all the parameters are correct rather than chancing it and therefore why I am asking.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:06 AM

Bump for some help...
Old Apr 2, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

There is some trial and error when tuning wastegate duty cycles. With the IR/Perrin solenoids, changing the duty cycle 1 or 2% can alter boost a whole psi. So make small changes while datalogging.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by shadow1
There is some trial and error when tuning wastegate duty cycles. With the IR/Perrin solenoids, changing the duty cycle 1 or 2% can alter boost a whole psi. So make small changes while datalogging.
Thanks for the response, as I mentioned any help is grealy appreciated. I will definitely take head and make small incremental changes and log. I only wish I knew what specific tables to play special attention to with this Perrin EBCS. Better yet, should I ditch the Perri EBCS and map another way? I just ordered and received the Omni port 4 bar and was wondering if controlling boost with this is better?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

The Omni 4 bar map sensor and the Perrin EBCS can be used together. If you modify your rom per mrfred's instructions, you can log boost via the map sensor. That is a necessity for tuning the EBCS. There is a thread with specific instructions on how to do direct ecu controlled boost, also by mrfred.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:02 PM

how does this valve compare to the MAC/AEM/TURBOSMART valves?
i have heard people complaining about the valves failing in both cases.
what according to you guys is the better option?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by abhir
how does this valve compare to the MAC/AEM/TURBOSMART valves?
i have heard people complaining about the valves failing in both cases.
what according to you guys is the better option?
GM BCS.

http://www.spoolinup.com/
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the Same Solenoid I have in my car, Works pretty good but it doesn't control boost as well as the GM one from what I have heard. It came with my car so I didnt bother swapping it out
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:43 PM

Thanks For the feedback guys.
Bless.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that if it is a MAC valve based solenoid, then it is not as good as the GM or the Tactrix BCS. I have noticed that almost all of the MAC valve based solenoid are large, much larger than the GM and Tactrix. I take it that the Ingersoll Rand is MAC based?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

The IR solenoid is made by IR I believe. It is similar in size to MAC but it is otherwise a different design.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shadow1
The IR solenoid is made by IR I believe. It is similar in size to MAC but it is otherwise a different design.
But is the valve inside it a MAC valve. IIRC, the MAC valve based solenoid are not as reactive/fast as the GM and Tactrix.

Quick Reply: Ingersoll Rand Boost Solenoid, confirmed works and cheap