Notices
ECU Flash

Just filled up with e85 and...my car is not happy :(

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2008 | 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Just filled up with e85 and...my car is not happy :(

So there is only 1 station in my area that currently happens to sell e85. I was going to be in the area (~1 hour away) so i decided to fill up the tank, and my 2 5gal containers.

I have the alt map switch setup, and it is functional.

My 91 injector scaling was set to 835, and my alt maps were dropped 30% to 585.

I had a few roms setup to try, ranging from using my 91 timing map, to some agressive maps others have posted on here. I first tried my 91 based map to no avail. The car would start and slowly drop rpm's till it died.

Thinking adding timing to the idle cells would help, I switch to a map someone had posted here where the idle cells had 14deg of timing at idle, no dice.

I also tried increasing and decreasing the injector scaling, but increasing didnt make a difference, decreasing made the car run poorly.

I tried the other 2 sets of maps i had..no good. I had spent about an hour sitting at the pump trying everything I could think of. Ultimately, I limped the car out of there, and parked down the street in preparation to have AAA tow my car home. I tried one last idea that made the car somewhat drivable, I adjusted all of the idle tables, idle and drive to be slightly over 1k...the rpms would drop to about 300, but would shoot back up, never letting the car die.

Since I got it to where it would run, I limped it home and tried a few other adjustments without result, so now I turn to evom for some help.

Attached is a zip of my rom and xml. I will post a log in a bit, let me know what variables you need and ill make sure to log them.

Mods are: 1000cc RC, 255 walbro, TBE, titek o2, Innovate LC1 (sensor appears to be dying).

Thanks for your help, as this is my DD, and I have work tomorrow morning (poor planning, I know), i'm pretty deperate.

edit: The car drove home 'ok', it was a little rough from time to time, but nothing major.

The file was too big to attach, but can be downloaded here: http://rkwebdev.com/bobby/Resi%20e85...home%20rom.zip

Last edited by Resi; Sep 28, 2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 07:10 PM

Best thing to do now would be to get that fuel out of there so you can go to work.
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Shoot me a PM with your email address, I'll send you some of my Roms, tested on many, many tanks of e85 to run very strong.
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

^yup get a few more empty cans and drai it, put it up and get some 91
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

well ive already arranged a ride to work tomorrow, so that is no longer a problem. I am looking more for tuning assistance, so i wont be draining the tank.

The only think i can think of is maybe i need to regap my plugs, I am on the stock IX plugs, what is the recommended gap for those .020?
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

sent you my rom, what ROM ID and mods do you have?
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 07:26 PM
EvoM Guru

I see you are running in open loop with modded fuel map in the idle region.

Did you try running the E85 in Closed Loop?

Your alternate injector scale is showing as "1". ??? You have a bad def for this? EDIT: Nevermind I have my defs for 5.10

You also edited the incorrect idle tables.

Last edited by razorlab; Sep 28, 2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I see you are running in open loop with modded fuel map in the idle region.

Did you try running the E85 in Closed Loop?

Your alternate injector scale is showing as "1". ??? You have a bad def for this? EDIT: Nevermind I have my defs for 5.10

You also edited the incorrect idle tables.
I tried changing to closed loop, but didnt seem to have much affect.

Good catch on the idle settings. I was changing those as a temporary measure to help keep the car from dying should I hit traffic on the drive back.

I have changed the correct idle table, however, I still have erratic idle (jumping from 500-1500) short logs are attached.

And my wideband has officially taken a dump, gonna uninstall it in the morning and recalibrate it...see if that helps at all.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
pooridlelogs.zip (10.0 KB, 4 views)
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dude
sent you my rom, what ROM ID and mods do you have?
rom id is 88590015, mods are in the first post. thanks for the file. Looking over your settings right now to see if i may have overlooked something.
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Resi
well ive already arranged a ride to work tomorrow, so that is no longer a problem. I am looking more for tuning assistance, so i wont be draining the tank.

The only think i can think of is maybe i need to regap my plugs, I am on the stock IX plugs, what is the recommended gap for those .020?
yep .019 or .020
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Old Sep 28, 2008 | 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Sounds to me like either the injector scaling or latency values are way off, but you'll never know because you are running open loop cruise. You'll need to switch back to closed loop cruise to dial in the injector scaling and latency values. Don't switch back to open loop cruise until you can consistently keep the idle trim and cruise trim to within +/- 4%. (For LA weather, +/- 3% is very possible.)
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

do the scaling change between 91 and e85?

I had the injectors scaled to within +/- 5% on 91

Guess I'll go cruise and log the cruise trim. With the idle being so erratic, i dont feel like subjecting my car, or the neighbors, to my car idling for 20 minutes being as rough as it is.
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crewdawg130
thanks, ill have to get a long extension tomorrow and pull mine to see what they are gapped to.
Old Sep 28, 2008 | 09:23 PM
EvoM Guru

do the scaling change between 91 and e85?

I had the injectors scaled to within +/- 5% on 91

Guess I'll go cruise and log the cruise trim. With the idle being so erratic, i dont feel like subjecting my car, or the neighbors, to my car idling for 20 minutes being as rough as it is.
My guess is that the latency values need some tweaking. My pump gas latency values for my FIC1050s were on the money for pump gas, but caused a fair bit of drift in the fuel trims with E85. I did a bit more tweaking of the latencies and injector scaling, and the final latency values turned out to work equally well for pump gas and E85. Now all I change when I need to go back to pump gas is the scaling.

I doubt you'll need to idle the car for more than a minute to see what's up. Log LTFT Low, LTFT Med, and STFT. You'll probably see the STFT shoot off like a rocket in one director or the other.

Quick Reply: Just filled up with e85 and...my car is not happy :(