Notices
ECU Flash

fed up with knock control

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tephra. I'll be a ginuea pig for ECU 96940011.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

If this works....man I will be so freaking happy!!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:48 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no doubt, this would be awesome and like I said, really narrow the gap between stock ecu and aem ems
Old Oct 28, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

How is this working for any one who tried it?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 04:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
I have only sent out 2 copies, because its totally untested I prefer to have a small group of testers.

Once the initial testers have ok'd that it doesn't make their cars explode then I will send out a few more copies.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 05:05 PM

i cant wait to try this patch,Awsome job tephra!!......my car is not even an evo,i drive a 2000 eclipse custom turbo using the evo ecu,im using most of your patches and they worked great!!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will test 90550001 when you feel you need more tests doing (car should be up and running within the next 2 days all being well).
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3geclipse
i cant wait to try this patch,Awsome job tephra!!......my car is not even an evo,i drive a 2000 eclipse custom turbo using the evo ecu,im using most of your patches and they worked great!!
Hey that's pretty cool! Did you have to change the wiring harness at all?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DS-03evo
Ok cool, I was thinking it might be someone else.
I'm intereted. Who did you think I was talking about?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I think its funny how some engines are noisy and others arent, even assembled by the same tech.

Case in point:

Turbojunkie (Billy) had us build a JE 9.5:1 motor for E85 and the car is "quiet". Lucas 10:1 alloy rod motor is "quiet". Okay so at this point you are saying that oh its because its on E85 or I am lying, right?

At the same time we did a build for another customer, a 9:1 JE for dual fuel, BC280s, and it phantom knocks like a *****. The piston wall is set loose on all these motors (.0055-.006), none of them have balance shafts, they all use the same manufacturer for pistons, use the same brand of clutch (2 are exedy twins and one is a triple), and were assembled at the same shop by the same guy.

I honestly think it has nothing to do with the assembly, and more with how finicky the stock ECU is too the "knock frequency". For sake of argument lets assign it a value, 10khz. So is it silicon content, thrust bearings, oil, etc. that make the difference or is it really truly random?

To add to what Charlie said, switching to an AEM on one of these cars after having extensively logged what "noise" looked like in knock voltage, I can personally say if the car knocks now its impossible to distinguish in the logs from what the stock ECU records. I dont think its impossible to tune an AEM and make good power but its knock control is primitive in comparison to Mitsu's.
For a layman, I found this a very interesting post. I would have thought the engine build might be accountable for the no knock vs. phantom knock issue. Didn't consider the aggregate effect of parts on harmonics. Thanks for the insight.

I would still assume (maybe incorrectly) that a "sloppy" build could still cause more issues than a good one. Am I right?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
For a layman, I found this a very interesting post. I would have thought the engine build might be accountable for the no knock vs. phantom knock issue. Didn't consider the aggregate effect of parts on harmonics. Thanks for the insight.

I would still assume (maybe incorrectly) that a "sloppy" build could still cause more issues than a good one. Am I right?
although im sure that is true, i think if anything is learned from this thread is that even perfectly built motors (especially forged internal increased displacement) can and do have negative effects on engine harmonics that mess with the stock knock control
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
I'm trying to find the test this out on my car but I am running into some time restraints, might need another day or so. Sorry guys
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I'm trying to find the test this out on my car but I am running into some time restraints, might need another day or so. Sorry guys
unacceptable, sleep is for the weak
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC

Yes i would think so as well. We have built one or two loose motors (I wont say sloppy since its what we wanted to do) in the .008-.009 range of piston to wall and the noise profile didnt really seem to alter. I can also say that both of them are quiet in reality (knock aside). Alot of the motors that seem prone to phantom knock also sound like a VW TDi at and idle and cruise. The 2 seem to go hand in hand.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
although im sure that is true, i think if anything is learned from this thread is that even perfectly built motors (especially forged internal increased displacement) can and do have negative effects on engine harmonics that mess with the stock knock control
I've got .2 overbore Wiseco pistons with no balance shafts and have no problems that weren't there before. Particularly the phantom knock issue at 2500 - 3500 rpm. I actually get less phantom knock in that rpm range.

Quick Reply: fed up with knock control