Notices
ECU Flash

fed up with knock control

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been on the site in a while, but i'm glad to find out im not the only one with this problem. Thanks to all who are working hard on the solution.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:13 PM
Account Disabled

jcsbanks just found the min load for knock control or whatever it will be called. I think if we find out where in the process of knock control this table controls things we should be able to do the subtraction method without the large decay rate causing problems. I think that the table he has found will cause both knock, and decay to basically read "zero" and thus their would be no decay to build up.

At least, on my DSM, when I raise the min load for knock control, I have no issues with decay after I go above the min load for knock control.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
yeah the decay variable definatley works.

<table name="KnockSum decay timer" category="NewMaps" address="1384" type="1D" scaling="uint16"/>

Should be a value of 160, I halved it and my knocksum decremented twice as fast.

I will look up some other ROMID's when I have time.

I am still thinking my knock-ignore patch will have some use - even when John has found the knock stuff. Because I doubt the stock code has the ability to target a specific RPM + LOAD point.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra

I am still thinking my knock-ignore patch will have some use - even when John has found the knock stuff. Because I doubt the stock code has the ability to target a specific RPM + LOAD point.
I AGREE, the world eagerly awaits!!!
Old Nov 21, 2008, 04:29 PM
Account Disabled

yeah the decay variable definatley works.

<table name="KnockSum decay timer" category="NewMaps" address="1384" type="1D" scaling="uint16"/>

Should be a value of 160, I halved it and my knocksum decremented twice as fast.

I will look up some other ROMID's when I have time.

It definatley has a use. It would just be kinda nice to not have the decay variable in their. To be honest though, I am only going to use it on a stroker motor of a friends that needs 3-4 knock sums ignored throughout the whole RPM range. If/when the knock goes higher than this the decay pulling even more timing should just be a note to the driver "hey jacka2s lift, we got some knock going on here". My personal car, I don't need this stuff......yet.

John's table will take care of all the phantom knock cases where the car is cruising and all of a sudden 36 knock counts. I've been doing it on DSM's for years and its a great feature. As the cars age this will be a necessary mod.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dan l
It definatley has a use. It would just be kinda nice to not have the decay variable in their. To be honest though, I am only going to use it on a stroker motor of a friends that needs 3-4 knock sums ignored throughout the whole RPM range. If/when the knock goes higher than this the decay pulling even more timing should just be a note to the driver "hey jacka2s lift, we got some knock going on here". My personal car, I don't need this stuff......yet.

John's table will take care of all the phantom knock cases where the car is cruising and all of a sudden 36 knock counts. I've been doing it on DSM's for years and its a great feature. As the cars age this will be a necessary mod.
Who's car would that be? LOL! I am excited to see this happen because like Dan has said my car needs to ignore 3-4 counts quite often. Good work guys!

~Zach
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sign me up...

Just started the 2.3L Friday night and during Saturdays 20mile break-in I was getting the Knock CEL at 3K part-throttle.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 01:02 PM
Account Disabled

This evo 9 is starting to **** me off, 36 counts of knock almost everytime I come out of vacuum. Not fun lol.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Dan - the one in your sig?

Its not build by the looks of things so it shouldn't be any noiser than a stock motor.

280's thou might cause some clanking??
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am pretty sure the mods in his sig are for his 8. I think he tunes quite a bit of cars.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:44 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah good point
Old Nov 23, 2008, 03:43 PM
Account Disabled

If you getting 36 counts of knock at low boost you have issues. I can understand fixes for part throttle driving, or ignoring a couple counts at WOT due to extra motor noise. However pegging the knock sensor under slight load is typically a mechanical and/or electrical malfunction on the car, no code is going to fix that. You can't simply ignore 36 counts of knock.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

^ Disagree. So how do you explain 2000-3500RPM 0 boost, low load 36 count knock? Its all noise and the knock sensor is getting fooled.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
This evo 9 is starting to **** me off, 36 counts of knock almost everytime I come out of vacuum. Not fun lol.
Myabe your car also knock on idle? I mean when you rev your motor on neutral.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:59 PM
Account Disabled

Dan - the one in your sig?

Its not build by the looks of things so it shouldn't be any noiser than a stock motor.

280's thou might cause some clanking??
no this is for a bolt on evo 9, it just started doing this out of the blue. I was tuning it and the next pull we did I told him to let off the gas because the knock was pegged. I was actually just finishing up his tune with a little fine tuning then this happened.

Originally Posted by Darwinn
Myabe your car also knock on idle? I mean when you rev your motor on neutral.

Yes it is also knocking if I rev the motor up also, seeing about 9-12 counts.
any ideas? Maybe something sensor related?

Quick Reply: fed up with knock control