Notices
ECU Flash

BCS testing data

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
that would be good, if the GM3port has the least latency then I will modify my algorithm to make it faster/simpler.

MrFred you think 3x33.3333 loops, or 2x33+1x34 (ie 100 all up)
Old Nov 2, 2008, 04:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by cpoevo
mrfred I have a MAC valve I can send you for testing. Just PM me the address to send it too.
PMed you. Thanks.

Originally Posted by tephra
that would be good, if the GM3port has the least latency then I will modify my algorithm to make it faster/simpler.

MrFred you think 3x33.3333 loops, or 2x33+1x34 (ie 100 all up)
What will be the operating frequency?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 04:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
well what did we say before, it normally runs through about 960 loops a second.

stock (48) is about 50ms
33 will be about 35ms

but in order to maintain a 1% resolution we need to run multiple loops
Old Nov 2, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
The BCS testing thread

I finally got around to setting up all the equipment needed to do some realistic measurements of how well a BCS can relieve boost pressure at the WGA. The test setup is as follows:

- Air pressure source set to 28 psi.
- Water hammer arrestor used to simulate a WGA
- 30 psi pressure gauge in-line with the simulated WGA
- Tubing, fittings, etc.
- 14.0 V system voltage
- Variable resistor that can be set to anything from 1 to 10 ohms
- BCS wired in series with the resistor.
- 20 Hz square wave signal generator with adjustable duty from 20% to 80%.
Would the driver in the ECU change the response characteristics of the BCS system?

I know that typically mechanical response greatly out weighs electrical response in most systems, but I'm just wondering if the signal generator you used can produce significantly higher instantaneous current then what the stock ECU driver can do?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 05:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by tephra
well what did we say before, it normally runs through about 960 loops a second.

stock (48) is about 50ms
33 will be about 35ms

but in order to maintain a 1% resolution we need to run multiple loops
ok, got it (again). :-) I need to spend some time looking at the subroutine to drive it in.

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Would the driver in the ECU change the response characteristics of the BCS system?

I know that typically mechanical response greatly out weighs electrical response in most systems, but I'm just wondering if the signal generator you used can produce significantly higher instantaneous current then what the stock ECU driver can do?
I'm sure that the BCS driver hardware in the ECU is just an SSR controlled by the processor. An SSR will give a nice square wave by virtue of its design. I used the signal generator to control an SSR, so I'm sure the wave I used is essentially exactly the same as the wave produced by the ECU. What would vary on the car though would be the driving voltage. Its going to be the battery voltage. I used 14 V because that's where the voltage on my car sits. If the voltage goes a bit lower, the latency might increase slightly, but not by much, probably by less than 1/2 of a millisecond.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool, I just thinking variance between cars might affect what Tephra was looking at doing with streamlining the code.

Great test
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill be sending you a Ingersoll rand one probably sometime in the next week or so. Kinda hard to justify to my wife that i am sending out something that cost outta pocket with a newborn lol. Gotta go into my G14 classified expenses hahhaa, but you can keep the GM one i sent you and you can also keep the ingersoll rand when you get it.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:37 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wewt, I was going to offer to chip in for you to buy a mac or ingersoll rand and just pay you to ship it when you were done with testing, but if they are already on their way then even better!

If something doesn't work out let me know!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, got it (again). :-) I need to spend some time looking at the subroutine to drive it in.

I'm sure that the BCS driver hardware in the ECU is just an SSR controlled by the processor. An SSR will give a nice square wave by virtue of its design. I used the signal generator to control an SSR, so I'm sure the wave I used is essentially exactly the same as the wave produced by the ECU. What would vary on the car though would be the driving voltage. Its going to be the battery voltage. I used 14 V because that's where the voltage on my car sits. If the voltage goes a bit lower, the latency might increase slightly, but not by much, probably by less than 1/2 of a millisecond.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&postcount=24
My calcs gives 60ms
Old Nov 3, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Both the GM and the Prodrive have a resistance of about 24 ohms. The stock BCS has a specified resistance range of 29 - 36 ohms. Should be safe to use a 5 ohm resistor, and a 5 ohm resistor gives 95% of the performance of a 1 ohm resistor. No resistor is probably ok too because the circuit current is still very low with no resistor. And razorlab says he's got a few customers that have been running the GM with no resistor for over a year.

Thats what I am using in my GM 3 Port Setup. I used three 1/2 Watt 15 Ohms resistor in parallel to produce an Req of 5 Ohms and 1.5 Watts in power. That gives the 29 Ohms min as per Service Manual and provides a lower voltage drop and therefore faster response for the solenoid activation. A 5 Ohms produces 11.1 Volts and 10 Ohms produces 9.5 Volts at the soleloid coil based on a battery Voltage of 13.5 Volts. Power rating of a single 1/2 Watt 10 Ohms resistor is 312.5% and three 1/2 Watt 15 Ohms in parallel is 72%. Both assuming 100% DC which is not the case for the GM 3 Port.

One watt 10 Ohms resistor are not common unless you use a Ceramic resistor which is huge. Still using a 1 Watt 10 Ohms produces a rating of 156%. Thats the reason I decided to go with the 3 in parallel setup. Maybe I am paranoid but I just wanted to be on the safe side.

Using the GM 3 Port without any Resisitor could pottentially overdrive the ECU driver output for the boost solenoid. But since you are not always on boost and not at 100% WGDC while boosting it is not easy to burn the Solenoid output on the ECU. And as you said there is people running without any series resistor for soemtime now. For me 5 Ohms is a good tradeoff.

Last edited by racer135; Nov 3, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Most people I know run 100%wgdc in the lower rpm range to improve spool up so during the majority of cruising conditions there is full current going through that circuit.

Running 2 10 ohm/1 watt resistors in parallel to form a 5 ohm/2 watt resistor from Radioshack HERE would be the best solution. There would only be roughly 0.6 watts passed thru each 10 ohm resistor.

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Nov 4, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

On my car cruising is not 100% WGDC. It only goes to what the table says when I step on it. I believe some 03 and 04 ROM IDs are at 100% while cruising but mine is not. Mine (96420008) behaves like the 05 in that respect.

I do not like to use 100% up too high because I once overboosted while driving at 5th gear at I believe about 20 or 30 mph. If you do a 3rd or 4th gear pull you will not overboost because there is not enought time on that RPM range but could if you go too high on the RPMs for the 100% DC while trying to accelerate in 5th gear.

Those two 10 ohms are a good choice. I guess they were not in stock when I went to my local RS.

Last edited by racer135; Nov 3, 2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The lowest rpm value I have in my base WGDC table is 3000rpm and I have it set to 100%. Any rpm below 3000 rpm seems to use what is in the lowest RPM value on the table (MrFred can correct me if I'm wrong). My WGDC tapers down quickly after 3000rpm until peak boost.

Do drive in 5th gear at 20-30mph often?lol I would think the error correction would have MORE time to control the overboost condition in a long gear rathe rthan in a shorter gear?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I could send my Perrin solenoid to you for testing.

I'm making assumptions based on your data, but it seems that a 3-post solenoid that doesn't require a resistor might respond as well as the GM solenoid.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
The lowest rpm value I have in my base WGDC table is 3000rpm and I have it set to 100%. Any rpm below 3000 rpm seems to use what is in the lowest RPM value on the table (MrFred can correct me if I'm wrong). My WGDC tapers down quickly after 3000rpm until peak boost.

Do drive in 5th gear at 20-30mph often?lol I would think the error correction would have MORE time to control the overboost condition in a long gear rathe rthan in a shorter gear?
The 03/04's (minus some 04 roms) use 100% WGDC until the load is over what is in the "Min Load for Boost Control" table, then it references the base WGDC table.

the 05-06 are 0% WGDC until the load is reached in that "Min Load for Boost Control" table.

Quick Reply: BCS testing data