Notices
ECU Flash

The stock ECU has gear dependent boost control!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2008, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
In the ROM there are definitions for 4 BWGDC tables, 3 are actually referenced by code, and 2 are actually used.

I guess when people where discovering the tables from the ROM they didn't/couldn't look at which tables where actually being used by the code, so they just put all 4 in the XML...
Old Nov 9, 2008, 04:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Your Avatar says you have an Evo IX, but it sounds as if you are asking about an Evo 8. Either way, there are only two sets of tables that are used. For the Evo 9, its set #1 and #3. #2 is never called by the code. For Evo 8s, I'm not sure which two of the four tables gets called because I've never bothered to go through the boost control code in detail on an Evo 8. tephra might be able to answer, but otherwise, I recommend figuring it out by trial and error.
Yeah i didn't remember how many tables the IX has since my definitions have them removed. I was looking at a buddy's car i tuned who has an 8 and saw 4 tables.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't messed with PSI targeted boost control yet, just the load targeted setup but I certainly see where different boost in 1st gear is useful, 2nd & 3rd have their own and 4th gear has its own for the 1/4 mile fellas. I hate having 3rd gear dialed in to the max but its too much for 4th gear and I get knock up top before I cross the finish line
Old Nov 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel your pain jamie.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm. Did you not read the entire first post? Boost Control Limiting Speed is an incorrect interpretation of the ROM code. RPM/MPH crossover point is the correct interpretation. The Boost Control Limiting Speed entry in the ECUFlash xml files should be deleted because its wrong.

I did read the post ...I just made an observation since I was curious to know if it had relevance since the values changed, I guess not then.

I tried this today: changed the crossover to 105 modified bdel & wgdc#1 and #3 with different values but the logged wgdc remained the same in gears 1-3
Old Nov 9, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there was a way to take this finding and make some kind of wgdc table/target boost table for each gear it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread........

dunno how possible that actually is though..
Old Nov 9, 2008, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This just makes me wonder.......

We have gone to great lengths to add maps, knock lights, and god knows what.

Behind the scenes.... are there things we are screwing up that we don't know about as of yet?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 07:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
possibly.

but I go to great lengths to ensure what we are removing (in this multi wgdc map case) wasn't being used.

Every ROM i have seen has had 0xFFFF set for the BLCS, which effectively disables it. Thus removing it didn't "hurt" anything.

But now we have a better understand of its capabilities I will see if I can add it back in
Old Nov 9, 2008, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MrFred... do you think there might also be a correlation to the alternate ignition tables? Depending upon this crossover point there might also be a timing map to match it?

btw... I fixed my problem with the boost control... your boost based EBC setup is AMAZING
Old Nov 9, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
MrFred... do you think there might also be a correlation to the alternate ignition tables? Depending upon this crossover point there might also be a timing map to match it?

btw... I fixed my problem with the boost control... your boost based EBC setup is AMAZING
That would be cool, especially cuz I'm a 1/4 mile guy. I'd love to have a seperate ignition tune for 4th (combined with 5th) gear as opposed to the ignition for 1st,2nd and 3rd gear since I'm in 4th gear for more than half of the track.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Jorge T
I did read the post ...I just made an observation since I was curious to know if it had relevance since the values changed, I guess not then.

I tried this today: changed the crossover to 105 modified bdel & wgdc#1 and #3 with different values but the logged wgdc remained the same in gears 1-3
Interesting that it didn't have an effect. The algorithm to choose is based only on the crossover value. Did you try making the two sets of tables hugely different.

Originally Posted by travman
If there was a way to take this finding and make some kind of wgdc table/target boost table for each gear it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread........

dunno how possible that actually is though..
Its possible and not that hard. Someone just needs to do it.

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
This just makes me wonder.......

We have gone to great lengths to add maps, knock lights, and god knows what.

Behind the scenes.... are there things we are screwing up that we don't know about as of yet?
Not really. With one exception, all my patches are written onto blank ROM space. There is one that replaces some code, but I know exactly what the old code does. I think tephra's patches make similar use of blank ROM space.

Originally Posted by R/TErnie

I've been through the ignition map selection routine, and there's no algorithm for map selection based on gear ratio. Turns out that the rpm/mph variable is used in only a few places. The boost control algorithm is the only place its used for map selection.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Jorge T

Gear dependent boost control is disabled on tephra ROMs. Are you by chance using a tephra ROM?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

FYI, the auto cars heavily rely on gear dependance for not just the boost, but also main fuel and ignition map selection. They use one map for 1st and 2nd gear and another for 3rd, 4th,5th gears. Maybe some browsing through the code may help to see if the same can be applied to other roms to allow the same feature.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Wow you guys are great! I would think that the EVO X should have some of the same type of maps for the boost. I can't wait till it available.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gear dependent boost control is disabled on tephra ROMs. Are you by chance using a tephra ROM?
Not using a tephra ROM just a 94170008 ROM... maybe when I changed the load variable for boost control the crossover got disabled?
Attached Thumbnails The stock ECU has gear dependent boost control!-boost-crossover-test.png  

Quick Reply: The stock ECU has gear dependent boost control!