Notices
ECU Flash

EvoScan v2.6 And New EvoScan GPS/Logger/Reflashing Touchscreen Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011 | 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumperalex
PS if you have a mod request to that carbon template you're using let me know and maybe I can do something for ya.

yeah I do... I have a whole list actually

I've tried tweaking the template, but to no avail.

What I would like to do is switch the colors from the current data being displayed and the peak data so they are bigger and easier to read. I'm red/green color blind, so looking at a red #'s against a dark background is difficult. The PEAK number is an easy to read white color, but the current data value is red and hard for me to pickup at a glance.

Here are the other features I'd like to see:
Add an RPM value w/a peak feature like speed.
remove the EGT reading (non-existant on the USDM VIII/IX)
remove the fuel trim High value, since it doesn't do anything
make it so I can read vaccum values on my JDM 3bar sensor. Currently it only shows positive values. For negative all I see is a dash, like this: -

I don't actually expect anyone to go ahead and make these changes, but if one were inclined to do so I would greatly appreicate it.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Paul what happened to the 2010 evoscan defs I gave you that you have been logging fine with before?
Hey Bryan, those are great, I'm trying to use the EvoScanPPC v2.2beta with the EvoScan GPS Disply unit and having problems. I have not tried to mix and match definitions between pc EvoScan and ce EvoScan yet, thought they were two different animals and frankly I'm surprised that the unit apparently does not come with the correct definitions and that I'm having trouble getting it running. Once I get the definitions on the gps unit sorted I get to start making a working gauge; whoever said this is intuitive, well it's NOT!

I'm at Cobb SoCal right now getting the Zeintronx AFR installed (went with your recommendation), I should have AFR logs this pm. It seems that I'm going lean (high 11's) only when I am below 1/2 tank, probably fuel starvation under accreleration. The AFR log will better quantify this.

Sorry about the thread drift folks, back on topic...
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kmart888
The Data.zip you attached was apparently corrupt, could not read it in notepad
Attachment updated in previous post.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Hammish, would you be so kind as to provide some insight into the EvoScan.xml file found in \EvoScanPPC\SavedSettings\ I can make some educated guesses but it would be easier if you could define the purpose and structure for us.

Thanks,
Alex
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
yeah I do... I have a whole list actually
Carbon 1,2,3, or 4

EDIT: sadly I can't see where to change colors. Seems that isn't part of the xml. Hamish, any chance of making that an option, perhaps even allowing font color changed as an Alarm condition? I know the second likely requires a lot of work, just perhaps just allowing us to change font color to start?

Last edited by Jumperalex; Jan 25, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

EvoScanGaugeTemplate Spreadsheet

OK so while the gauge designer application is useful it is not quite feature complete and in some cases it is easier to do things like align gauges perfectly using raw numbers and it is faster when looking at a table of data.

So I created an excel template. The basis for the template is a gauge set that I made. But of course the point here is you can modify it however you want.

This still isn't plug'n'play but it makes it easier to understand what is going on IMO. If nothing else look at it for reference and then feel free to just edit your .txt file. But if you want to design your gauges from Excel here are the basics:

1) Download and change the file name from .xls.txt to .xls
2) Open file in Excel and make your changes
3) Save the file as it is. That is just click save unless you want to change the name then click save-as. But keep it in .xls format
4) Now use save-as to save the file as a comma delimited ".csv" file
5) Close out the file from Excel. You might get a warning that the file hasn't been saved but we both know it is. That is just what Excel does when you save things into non-excel format.
6) Go find your recently saved .csv file and change the extension to .txt
7) save it to your SD card and check it out on your EvoScanGPS or use the gauge designer to open it up and check your work.

Seems like a lot of work but I find it much easier to work with aligned columns to start. After a while, one I know the file I have no trouble working in raw txt and likely neither will you. But for the newbies out there or even just for guys working up a whole new gauge set you might find this helpful.

NOTE1: you will notice that your converted file now has a bunch of extraneous commas at the end of the long lines of text. Have no fear, since those lines are commented out (via "//") the commas will be ignored.

NOTE2: Should you make changes to your new .txt file you should have no trouble reimporting the file into Excel. Open Excel, open the file, and when the import wizard kicks off choose comma for the delimited (it might default to fixed width so choose delimited and then tell it comma) and you are done. At that point it won't look quite as good as what I posted because it will have lost the column width settings I used and the cell color fill I used. But at least the data will still be in easy to read columns.

NOTE3: no you can't just import one of your current .txt file and expect it to look like mine. I had to do a bunch of cleanup to make it right.

If anyone finds an error please let me know, or make the change and post it up. It won't hurt my feelings. Just be sure to test it by exporting and validating that the resulting file still works as expected in evoscan.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
EvoScanGaugeTemplate.xls.txt (45.0 KB, 0 views)
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, I see the data.XML file has all the definitions for the evox but I still get gobeldigook for data; under "options" I have checked op2.0 and selected "EvoX Mode 23 USA RA", this is the data I Get at Idle:

ACP -6.0
TP. 4.5
2byte rpm 285
Load fuel 220
Load mivec. * 17.6
Load timing 100
Timing adv 108
Knock sum 225 (alarm works!)
Octane. 36.5 (ditto)
Afr map. 14.7
Psi. -14.5
Active wgdc *0
Passive wgdc. *65
Active wgdc correct... *-64
Stft. *-25
Ltft idle. 5.27
Ltft cruise. -21.7
Intake air *203 f
Manifold air. *183. F
Coolant. *-40 f
speed 0
Boost error correct.. *-64
ipw. *0
Mag v. *240v
Int vvt. *-63
Ex vvt. *80
Odc. *0
Baro. *4.5 bar
Bat. *14.7v
Lci far. *10.7

I can provide the log while cruising if ant one wants.

How do I get the correct definitions to display usable data?

The Data.zip you attached was apparently corrupt, could not read it in notepad.

Thanx,*

Paul
I replaced my "data.xml" file in the "data settings" folder of "EvoScan PPC" with a copy of my WORKING "Mitsubishi EvoX Mode 23 USA.xml" file with correct definitions (renamed to "Data.xml" for the PPC ver.) from my PC version of EvoScan. Still get the same screwy data as above! What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by kmart888; Jan 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 09:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
You need to make sure it's using the 2010 entries and not just the ones you listed, which are 2008.
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
You need to make sure it's using the 2010 entries and not just the ones you listed, which are 2008.
Thanx Bryan, how might I do that? Or even know that they are 2008 rather than 2010? Anyway this problem is solved, see following post #1601 below:

Last edited by kmart888; Jan 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

kmart, my data.xml file I posted should work for you. It is now fixed in my original post (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9014048-post1576.html). Get it and try that. And then be sure to select the correct ECU type in the "main settings" section.
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Red face Intuitive? NOT!

I'm looking through my SD card today and see an empty folder labeled "roms" so I stick "55580005.xml" from my pc version in it and voila all my data readouts now look to be correct! I should know this how?

Now on to making a usable gauge layout; carbon2 looks cool but will only register my speed and rpm, no coolant temp, trims, boost, etc. Same with all the other gauge templates I try. I tried Jumperlex's "EvoScanGaugeTemplate.txt" (I tried to try) but I get a null reference error of some sort, it probably need an accompanying .png file but I'm not sure yet. I really like the look of the original "EvoScan1" gauge but there is no exit button To close it I must push the reset button. I did find the "EvoScan Gauge Layouts Tutorial" on the site, I sall read it today, I'm sure I will get this sorted eventually. Any help is, as always, appreciated.

I'm supposed to know all this how? A quick start guide, you know one directed to nubies and dumbass's (like myself) you bought the unit based on advertising and forum reviews and who are not already intimately familiar with EvoScan, could have saved me two weeks of frustration.
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm looking through my SD card today and see an empty folder labeled "roms" so I stick "55580005.xml" from my pc version in it and voila all my data readouts now look to be correct! I should know this how?

Now on to making a usable gauge layout; carbon2 looks cool but will only register my speed and rpm, no coolant temp, trims, boost, etc. Same with all the other gauge templates I try. I tried Jumperlex's "EvoScanGaugeTemplate.txt" (I tried to try) but I get a null reference error of some sort, it probably need an accompanying .png file but I'm not sure yet. I really like the look of the original "EvoScan1" gauge but there is no exit button To close it I must push the reset button. I did find the "EvoScan Gauge Layouts Tutorial" on the site, I sall read it today, I'm sure I will get this sorted eventually. Any help is, as always, appreciated.

I'm supposed to know all this how? A quick start guide, you know one directed to nubies and dumbass's (like myself) you bought the unit based on advertising and forum reviews and who are not already intimately familiar with EvoScan, could have saved me two weeks of frustration.

Keep poking at it, things finally start to make sense

I 'think' the ROMS folder is for ECUFlash .HEX files to be flashed to the ECU ?? at least when I flash between my e85 and 92 octane tunes, that is the default folder that comes up. (I may be way off too)

Well, I was going to attach a copy of my config files that got the EvoScan1 gauge template mostly working for me, but I can't get the zip file under the 100KB size limit . PM me if you want to see a copy of my config files.

the numeric gauges I have working are: Knock, LC1 Wideband, Coolant Temp, 4-Bar Boost.

I run the LC1/e8 mod so can directly log my WideBand without a usb cable
I still haven't been able to figure out two of the gauges on the template, FuelConsumption and Gear.

I keep poking at it and hopefully will get it sorted out eventually.

John-
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

OK I got most of my gauges to work by finding the "log reference" in my definition file and editing the appropriate txt file, except for boost (log reference “PSIG” ) and SST temperature (log reference “SST_TM_Temp”) and of course my wideband which probably needs a usb hub, I’m saving it for last.
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah sorry if that wasn't clear... it really wasn't mean to be a functioning gauge template, mearly a tool. That said, if you grab the attached .png file and place it in the gaugetemplates folder then it should work.

Again, the excel file I posted is really just a tool so you can better LEARN how the template structure works. Look at the different headers (in pale orange) for each section, look at the values in the columns, read the header descriptions.

Now reading your most recent post, glad to see things are starting to make sense.
Attached Thumbnails EvoScan v2.6 And New EvoScan GPS/Logger/Reflashing Touchscreen Review-boosttemplate.jpg  
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Question Zeitronix WB help

I'm getting there! All of the data I want is displaying correctly, except for the external wide band, and I'm getting the included gauge template to display the correct data. 2.2ppc recognizes the FTDI device but it gives an error, it is looking for an Inovative LM wb and is giving an “out of bounds” error. I have a Zeitronix wb, there must be a way to tell 2.2ppc, to use it or change the settings but I cannot find it without help. Please.

Quick Reply: EvoScan v2.6 And New EvoScan GPS/Logger/Reflashing Touchscreen Review