Notices
ECU Flash

EvoScan v2.6 And New EvoScan GPS/Logger/Reflashing Touchscreen Review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009 | 05:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
25th July 2009: EvoScan v2.6 Beta17 released.
- ADDED OBDII DATALOGGING SUPPORT for OpenPort1.3U and OpenPort 2.0
- this will work with ALL vehicles 1996-2008 (OBDII)
(the government should have mandated Generic OBDII be fast, lol! EvoScan makes it as fast as it can, its still a waste of time for Mitsubishi owners, stick with MUTII)
- Relabelled all the protocols and devices.
- More support for OpenPort 2.0 and Evo7/8/9 Actuators+DTC
- More support for 2008/09 JDM EvoX Mode23 (thanks SiC)
- More support for multiple
- Added a new checkbox to "Display only selected items" hides the dataitems you're not logging at that time.

updated:
28th July 2009: EvoScan v2.6 Beta18 released!
Download EvoScan Beta18 here(registered users only. Unregistered users get your registration number from www.evoscan.com)
- Auto selects "OpenPort" cable for ecu logging when a openport cable as well as usb-serial adapter is connected.
- New USDM Mode23 Items
- New JDM Mode23 Items
- New JDM RS Mode23 Items
(thanks mrfred/SiC)

Last edited by evo4mad; Jul 27, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009 | 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
That is great news, looking forward to trying the new Beta17. I used 16 today while tuning an EVOX and I was able to get enough useful data to make the tuning go very smoothly, even though it was a difficult car to tune.

BTW, for those of you considering the GPS, I say 100% get it. I paid full price for mine and got no favors, I am saying this because this is NOT a sales pitch but I want to say something.

I have Garmin for years, I went to N. Carolina and a road I was on was not on it. I figured what the hell and went to Walmart and bought a new one, this was about 2 years after I had bought the first. Guess what? Same old maps on it. I tried to download the ONE free download you get with it and Garmin's site was having problems and I could NOT get the download. I decided to return it to the store as it was no better than my last one. I took it back and got a Tom Tom. Guess what? Tom Tom is outdated too, just got stuck the other day. I took my free ONE update download and guess what? Still doesn't have the new road on it.

SO, last week I have the EVOscan GPSNav in my truck and I went to a track in PA for my son to race his new kart. I also fired up the Tom Tom at the same time. I am running the I GO nave in my EVOscan GPSNav and I have to say I like everything about it better than I do the Tom Tom or the Garmin I had. I ended up turning off the Tom Tom as it was annoying the hell out of me with WAY too much worthless babble.

My only suggestion on the GPSNav is, it comes with a 2gb sd card. Mine did not have all the stages loaded in it or all the POI's. It really needs a 4gb card to fit all of the information on so I just bought one and put it in there, just to make it really easy it would be nice if it had a 4gb card in it and ALL the information loaded in as far as state maps and POI's for each state.
Keep in mind though, the information is FREE, you just download it from Hamish's site and there is NO limit to the amount of updates. Garmin and Tom Tom both cost about $79 each time you need to update your map information!!

Very very good GPS, excellent datalogging, all around a top notch product that I personally highly recommend.
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
My only suggestion on the GPSNav is, it comes with a 2gb sd card. Mine did not have all the stages loaded in it or all the POI's. It really needs a 4gb card to fit all of the information on so I just bought one and put it in there, just to make it really easy it would be nice if it had a 4gb card in it and ALL the information loaded in as far as state maps and POI's for each state.
Keep in mind though, the information is FREE, you just download it from Hamish's site and there is NO limit to the amount of updates. Garmin and Tom Tom both cost about $79 each time you need to update your map information!!

Very very good GPS, excellent datalogging, all around a top notch product that I personally highly recommend.
Hamish, I think David makes a very good point. Is there any way of possibly adding an option to have it come with a 4gb card instead of the 1 or 2gb card that it already comes with. I'd gladly pay the extra $10 bucks or so in order to prevent the hassle of getting another card and copying all the files over.

I cannot wait to order this thing. Gotta sell a few parts and I'll be good to go
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got this neat bit of kit but how can i set it up so it logs (after its booted it self up) i.e i want evoscan to run and start logging without me pressing 1 button.
i will have this not in view or reach so it needs to start automatically.

what is the on off switch for?
what type of plug/socket is the external aerial port?
there was no instructions with it!?
initially looks very nice and the gps is nice user friendly too

Last edited by leecavturbo; Jul 25, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 12:42 PM
Account Disabled

just did some testing with beta17 on a 9 and I'm happy with it. My X customer will be in town soon so we'll run it through the paces again with that.
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by leecavturbo
initially looks very nice and the gps is nice user friendly too
Its under options -> settings, you should definately check out the whole options menus, some cool stuff in there You can "autostart logging" you can "auto start gauges", oh but I think you mean click the front menu EvoScan icon from cold boot. You will always have to click at least one button (the side power button) which will take it out of standby and if you have the autoreconnect ticked it will auto start again. I hope to have an autostart feature from cold factory reboot in the future, but in the meantime I find its fine using the soft standby feature to autostart the logger.

I am setting up a new website for the latest versions and instructions. I'll send out a link to you when its ready.

On/Off switch helps you reboot the device, turn it to off and pull the power out. The side power button is just the standby button.

The aerial plug can be hooked up to an extra gps aerial in case you need extra signal boost, but after 5minutes most countries have about 10 satellites to choose from these days, so theres no need for an external aerial, the SirfIII chips used in this device are awesome.

Last edited by evo4mad; Jul 25, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Hi Hamish, i have seen the autostart logging and gauges but evoscan does not start on its own. only the main menu.
basically my gps logger is in the glovebox and i don't want to touch it every time i get in the car and drive. i want it to power up on car ignition and log, nothing else.
i'm asking alot i know
i.e evoscan wants to be in the registry init
the satnav is pretty cool. it even shows life like land marks and names them when your near lol.
Edit: opps just read your whole reply! ^ignore
for what its worth i have the gps cold booting from igntion on and then turns off on igntion off ?

Last edited by leecavturbo; Jul 25, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Looks great, I will be getting one soon! How much longer till we can flash and log the EVO X with it? Keep up the great work!
Old Jul 25, 2009 | 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Any word on the map tracer for the X?
Old Jul 26, 2009 | 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

can the live display be speeded up? the throttle and rpm is half a second behind real time!
Old Jul 26, 2009 | 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I just downloaded and installed the 2.7 version 17. Now is there anything else that needs to be done prior to using it?
Old Jul 27, 2009 | 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo4mad
25th July 2009: EvoScan v2.6 Beta17 released!
Download EvoScan Beta17 here(registered users only. Unregistered users get your registration number from www.evoscan.com)
- ADDED OBDII DATALOGGING SUPPORT for OpenPort1.3U and OpenPort 2.0
- this will work with ALL vehicles 1996-2008 (OBDII)
(the government should have mandated Generic OBDII be fast, lol! EvoScan makes it as fast as it can, its still a waste of time for Mitsubishi owners, stick with MUTII)
- Relabelled all the protocols and devices.
- More support for OpenPort 2.0 and Evo7/8/9 Actuators+DTC
- More support for 2008/09 JDM EvoX Mode23 (thanks SiC)
- More support for multiple
- Added a new checkbox to "Display only selected items" hides the dataitems you're not logging at that time.
Holy cow you aren't wasting time getting updates out.....I just tested beta16 today and no reported issues, even the external serial logging for my ZT2 wideband worked on 64bit vista.

Seems like everything is worked out for the 64bit users finally - great job and thanks for working to get everything corrected
Old Jul 27, 2009 | 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

28th July 2009: EvoScan v2.6 Beta18 released!
Download EvoScan Beta18 here(registered users only. Unregistered users get your registration number from www.evoscan.com)
- Auto selects "OpenPort" cable for ecu logging when a openport cable as well as usb-serial adapter is connected.
- New USDM Mode23 Items
- New JDM Mode23 Items
- New JDM RS Mode23 Items
(thanks mrfred/SiC)
Old Jul 27, 2009 | 01:56 PM
Account Disabled

Hamish,

Can you post a list of the current USDM Mode23 items?
Old Jul 27, 2009 | 02:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Hamish,

Can you post a list of the current USDM Mode23 items?
It has all the items in my latest USDM xml that I posted several weeks back. I've updated all the USDM entries to work with Hamish's latest syntax.

Quick Reply: EvoScan v2.6 And New EvoScan GPS/Logger/Reflashing Touchscreen Review