Notices
ECU Flash

sorry I havn't been online recently...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Dude, glad you came out ok. I had almost the exact same thing happen to me several years ago on the street (except no embankment), but both the car and I came out ok. I feel for your financial woes. Its no fun being in debt for something like this. I think a "payoff tephra's evo" donation campaign needs to get started. Seriously, for what you have done for the community, I don't think its asking too much for people to donate $100 towards paying off your car.
lets set that up
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
aww thanks guys! But like I said in my local aussie forum I would feel pretty bad collecting money when the bush-fire victims have lost a lot more than me

however your kind words are much appreciated.

Lets just wait until I get a second opinion on whether its repairable OR reshellable and then I will let u know what I am going todo. I am hoping I can reshell it without too much cost...

Yeah everytime I get down about loosing (another) evo I just remember that I am fine and it's not soo bad

Anyways you all be safe now hehe
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, it still looks drivable, it's an Evo afterall. :-)

My commiserations Dave, that is one hell of a thing to go through! The Island is not the friendliest place to have an off too. But what you will go through the most will be those quiet moments where you will re-live the crash over and over wondering if you had of done something different... a little less brakes, a little more to the left, etc..etc.. and when you wake up each morning and realise you cant drive your baby to work. The big thing is that you survived, and you at least crashed at the track where there is support and a little run-off, rather than a remote mountain pass where most people go-for-it and dont walk away.

Full respect to you for being man enough to tell us all about it too.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:29 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah I have been rethinking it lots, but I have a lot of blank areas where I just cant remember what happened

All last week I kept waking up with that terrible feeling of something bad had happened, then i remember the car... doh

mmm it really brings driving like a lunatic on the street into perspective...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:38 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Tephra, I'm sorry to hear what happened man Super glad you're ok, this community would be quite a bit more dim without you around here. Thank goodness it was only the car; it can be replaced. Like razorlab said, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

I have no problem kicking in, just call it a donation for v6.....then use it towards the car
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

SO glad you are ok and hoping everything works out for you regarding the car and finances. I am sure the many members on here can help you with the car. One idea is for the donations to payoff the vehicle and anything left you could donate to the fire victims.

On a side note, you should be proud, Evo wings always survive wrecks and you managed to break one. THose thing do not break!!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

hehehe . yeah i was surprised about the CF snapping too
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear / see that Dave.

But as you said, the main thing is you have come out of it alright (if a little sore).

Cars can be repaired / replaced eventually as you know.

Good luck with the repairs, every car can be reshelled, it's just a case of finding out how much needs replacing ontop of the shell and body panels.

Hope it isn't as bad as it first seems mate.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

mmm I hope so
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by tephra
Lastly I have been accepting donations for my work, if you like it or get good use out of it please feel free to paypal whatever you can afford to donations@globalshare.net
this is Tephra's donation link.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Good thing you walked away in one piece. I've thought about going to the track... after seeing what can happen I'll keep thinking for a while longer.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Alive is good. Sucks being upside down though don't it?

As far as repair goes.... having done a repair to car in that sort of shape and looking at the pics, the front you could plasma cut off and just get a new front half welded back on. I have done that to a GVR-4 that was totally smashed in the front to where the radiator had exploded and pushed the motor into the firewall.

My concern would be the pass. rear tire area where it looks like the wheel is kicked way out and that point is attached to the subframe. Also the expense of repairing that rear quarter is going to be high. I bet you that the motor, swapped into another car would start right up though.

Looks like a new FMIC is probably in the works there too and I can probably help you on that end if you do choose to rebuild.

/brox
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+ 1

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
tephra, glad to see you are ok. That's the most important thing.

Financially, hopefully more and more people will begin donating to you for your efforts with the tephramods. Your contribution to the community has been priceless and we all appreciate your efforts.

Hope everything works out for you.

Eric
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:21 PM
EvoM Guru

thanks Brox!

only one problem - my mech took the timing belt cover off and the belt was loose. apparently they did a compression test and it was low (dont know the numbers)

so its highly likely that the pistons have wacked the valves... so I am guessing best case new headgasket (and studs lol), worst case = new valves+pistons...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

wow. glad ur ok.

Quick Reply: sorry I havn't been online recently...