Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
20psi off the line on an HTA86 anyone?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

quick silly question, any reason not to stick with v6?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nothere
quick silly question, any reason not to stick with v6?
Slowly falling behind. I dropped anchor on an old patched rom and ended up very much behind the curve on my own Evo. I will not do that again.

I would make the move to 7 when available for you since Tehpra formally skipped 6.
(IE: Don't do what I did.)

I have been driving around - running around as much as I can in the Evo and everything I have previously tested still works. Some things came up, I was going to try to test the alt map settings via TPS. (Just flash some old non-meth maps in, and / or a bunk inj scaling) And watch my WB to see if I am actually able to switch maps.

I'm fairly certain NLTS will work as it was not a problem before.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry for the newb question, but when you guys are confirming start on the Immob. hex 0058, Does this go in the "init code" or the actuall Immob.? Im assuming it would go in the init code, and the Immob. from your actual rom... Confirmation Please... TIA

cheers
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
DONT PUT IT AS YOUR INIT CODE

Its part of the 0xffa p-bits...
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
DONT PUT IT AS YOUR INIT CODE

Its part of the 0xffa p-bits...
Im falling a lil behind... So if I wanna convert any 8 rom over to the 9653, it would require me to add 0058 as the Immob. hex, and copy/paste the init code from the original rom. just trying to make sure I grasp this completely.
And this Immob. issue that you have found your way around, is just an 8 thing, correct?
thanks Tephra, this stuff is swesome!!!
Old Jun 29, 2009, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9653 / is an 8 rom.

Originally Posted by evo ecu wiki
The immobilizer functions differently between 96940011 and 96530006, and you will need to change the behavior for the car to start correctly. You can either disable the immobilizer completely, or change the 96530006 immobilizer behavior to function properly with the USDM hardware. Only do one, or the other; if you disable the immobilizer completely, there is no need to do the following, and if you do the following you should definitely leave the immobilizer enabled for your own security.

To change the behavior, you'll need to add the following to both 96940011.xml and 96530006.xml:

<table name="Immobilizer Hex" category="Misc" address="ffa" type="1D" level="2" scaling="Hex16"/>

Then, open your original 96940011 ROM, and copy the value from the "Immobilizer Hex" table under the "Misc" section (probably 0x0058). Open your new 96530006 ROM, and open the "Immobilizer Hex" table. You'll see that the value is probably 0x004D; paste in the value you copied from your 96940011 ROM in its place.

Then, do the same thing for the "Immobilizer" table under the "Misc" section.

At this point, your car should start as expected, with the immobilizer functioning correctly.
You need to add the table above and see the address where it's looking for the immob at. (to both your 9653 and your existing rom xml) Then change the 9653 rom immob / hex to the address found in the existing rom - if it is different.

In my case, it was. It was 0040 in the 9653 rom, and 0058 in mine. (96940011)

Do you understand now?

//Side note I have a GM BCS 2 days out. I will be able to test more features soon.

Last edited by Asmodeus6; Jun 29, 2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Adding the Immob to the evo7base was the best solution. that way it shows up in every E8 rom.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Asmodeus6
9653 / is an 8 rom.

You need to add the table above and see the address where it's looking for the immob at. (to both your 9653 and your existing rom xml) Then change the 9653 rom immob / hex to the address found in the existing rom - if it is different.

In my case, it was. It was 0040 in the 9653 rom, and 0058 in mine. (96940011)

Do you understand now?

//Side note I have a GM BCS 2 days out. I will be able to test more features soon.

Thank you Asmodeus for clarifying! This was exactly what I need to know. very helpful! Heres another question. Will I need to add this Immob. hex definition, coming from say a 9417? TIA

And thank you Laramie, for the tip! also good to know! Will do ASAP.

I need to catch up... Never payed much attention to what was necessary to transfer rom id's.

and just for clartification/confirmation, I would copy/paste the the init code over from the previous id as well? or does every car have the "init code" (0001) dumb question, I know, but wanna be abesolutely sure TIA

Last edited by nonschlont; Jun 29, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nonschlont
and just for clartification/confirmation, I would copy/paste the the init code over from the previous id as well? or does every car have the "init code" (0001) dumb question, I know, but wanna be abesolutely sure TIA
Every car should have the same exact init code of 0001. If it has something different it was a locked ECU and you would prob. not even be able to pull the ROM off the car in the first place (unless you used MalibuJack's ECU Unlocker)....
Old Jun 29, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by phenem
Every car should have the same exact init code of 0001. If it has something different it was a locked ECU and you would prob. not even be able to pull the ROM off the car in the first place (unless you used MalibuJack's ECU Unlocker)....
thats what I thought, just havent looked at any1 elses roms yet to confirm. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by nonschlont; Jun 29, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
thats what I thought, just havent looked at any1 elses roms yet to confirm. Thanks for the input.
I think this is what tephra was trying to tell me, I just didnt completely understand the way he put it....
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Because the ROM locations for a lot of stuff changed between v7t5 and v7t6, copying data from one to the other is either a case of starting from scratch, combing the XML from v7t5 and v7t6 (and dealing with the entry errors that are likely to occur), or doing the hokey dance of "open ecuflash, open old ROM, copy map, close EcuFlash, rename old XML to .bak and new XML to proper name, open ecuflash, open new ROM, paste map, close EcuFlash, rename new XML to .bak and old XML to proper name, repeat."

Here's a simple (okay, maybe not so simple, but handy) trick for handling cases like this where you have two ROMs that identify themselves as the same thing, but need radically different XML metadata:
  • Make two directories (on your desktop, or wherever): v7t6 and v7t5.
  • Copy ecuflash.exe and the accompanying DLLs from C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash into both new directories (ie. make two copies).
  • Copy evo7base_20081101.xml and 96530006.xml from C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\mitsubishi\evo into both new directories.
  • Copy your old v7t5 ROM into the v7t5 directory, along with the Tephra XML that came with it originally.
  • Copy the new ROM you're going to be using and Tephra's new XML into the v7t6 directory.
  • Double-click on ecuflash.exe in each directory.
Viola, you have two separate instances of EcuFlash running, both working on the same ROM ID, but with different XML descriptions for each ROM; those local copies will completely ignore any XML you have in your real rommetadata directory. Copy and paste between them as you wish.

(Basically, EcuFlash will look in the directory you ran it from for a directory named "rommetadata"; if it finds it, it'll search it for XML metadata. If it doesn't find it, it'll look in the current directory for any XML files as well. It doesn't have C:\Program Files\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata hard-coded anywhere. I suspect this is common knowledge amongst the heavier EcuFlash users here, but it's probably worth pointing out for everyone else, especially for this case.)

Tephra, do you think there would be value in just picking an arbitrary and unused first four characters for each of your ROM IDs (maybe take over "FFxxxxxx", or whatever happens to look available, and change the third and fourth characters to identify the original ROM) and just making the last four digits an incremented value for each release (major or minor; no direct relationship to a "version number", just an incremented value like an SVN revision)? Then XML from different release versions can all live together in harmony, there's very little chance of running out of numbers for releases or different base ROMs, and there won't be namespace collisions with real ROM IDs.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

[/QUOTE] Heres another question. Will I need to add this Immob. hex definition, coming from say a 9417? TIA
[/QUOTE]

bump 4 an answer to this question, please. TIA
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Heres another question. Will I need to add this Immob. hex definition, coming from say a 9417? TIA
[/QUOTE]

bump 4 an answer to this question, please. TIA[/QUOTE]

I wish I could answer your question. I haven't converted anyone else to this rom yet. I'm also curious about this too. If I don't I will take it out of the E7base.

Quick Reply: TephraMOD V6 - testing!