Notices
ECU Flash

Unsolvable knock after FP 4R MIVEC cam install

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Unsolvable knock after FP 4R MIVEC cam install

I'm quite annoyed right now... yesterday, I did 60k timing service and switched from stock IX cams to brand new FP 4R cams. The install went great, it was done by a professional mechanic (I looked on and helped out) and everything seemed fine... after we re-assembled, everything fired up on first start and the car was drivable, idled fine, and seemed perfect.

And then it went downhill...

After about 100 miles of break in city driving, and deeming everything to be safe and sound, I began logging WOT... much to my dismay, the car would knock consistently on nearly every pull, essentially from WOT tip in all the way through to the end of the pull, anywhere from 4-9 counts. This was surprising to me because I've had the car in this setup for quite some time now and knock was non existent... I've been able to run 29psi, 10deg peak torque timing, and 20deg redline timing with no issues at all prior to installing the cams.

My setup:

Stock motor
FP Green Turbo
FP 4R Cams and stock valvetrain
Aquamist HFS-1, 80/20 VP M1 Methanol/Distilled Water
93 octane Shell V-Power
Stock boost solenoid @ 29psi
Tephra v6

Here's what I've tried:

1.) Pulling ignition timing (obviously a good place to start) No effect! Even with a map that is 4-5 degrees less than on the stock cams, it still knocks.

2.) Flatten MIVEC map to 4.8 No effect! I was sure that if it wasn't ignition timing, it was cam timing... but it wasn't.

3.) Run wastegate pressure (for me, 20psi)... No effect! Still getting large amounts of knock almost as soon as I got WOT, sometimes as I'm ramping up. Here's some WOT data (I filtered TPS=100). Keep in mind that the ignition timing used here is very passive, about 3-4 degrees less than what I used on stock cams.

So, what I'm getting at is... is this phantom knock? Is it because the stock valvetrain is too soft for these cams? Can anyone out there with these cams (or perhaps with GSC S2s) please chime in with your tuning experiences... preferably on a IX and preferably with stock valvetrain. Thanks, in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Unsolvable knock after FP 4R MIVEC cam install-wtf_knock.png  
Old Mar 20, 2009, 03:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your AFR is all over the place and its lean as all bloddy hell. Why don't you show rpm? Your boost is again all over the place. Your timing can't make up its mind. Even with no knock in the last quarter of the log timing is all over the place. Was your CAS damaged during the cam swap?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is not a single WOT pull, this is several back to back pulls.

My AFR is slightly lean in this log (although in several attempts it is richer, and in fact, I started off with a very rich 11.3:1)... again, I'm using 80% methanol here, I've run 12.5:1 without problems in the past. It may be aggressive but it's not 9 counts of knock aggressive.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have lean spool enabled? you could disable that so that your afr would be more consistent. also do you hear any audible knock when you do these WOT pulls?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:20 PM
Account Disabled

Can you post a single third gear pull from 2500-redline. Show rpm, TPS, timing, afr, and knock.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 05:02 PM
Account Disabled

Have you triple checked that everything lines up and that timing is correct?

You can also pull the cover and check if a rocker arm is hanging out in the head.

I've seen that before with the same symptoms you are having.